I might be gone for a while from the US...

HeatSurge

Hey everyone,

I might have to go back to Europe indefinitely, which is going to be very unfortunate, because I don't have a good PC there and it's too far away to really play anything here at all, so I might "drop off the face of the earth" for an indefinite while.

Basically, what is happening is I'm not a US Citizen or Permanent Resident, so I can't stay here without a visa (permanent residency is not possible for me right now for several reasons I'm not going to go into), and pretty much the only option for me is to get a work visa (also called a H1-B).

I've been here for several years on a F-1 Visa (school), but that is ending and I have to leave the country by the end of October, or I'll be "out of status" (meaning, I'll be deported if caught and will not be able to formally legally come back to the US for at least 10 years afterwards or practically never in actuality due to the way people like that are discriminated against).

So, unless I can find a job really quickly (I've been looking but no luck for months) that pays approx 40k+ and is related to Accounting (both due to H1-B "Work" Visa requirements), I can't stay here.

If someone can help with anything immediately, please refer to my resume here and get in contact with me: Index of /resume

If not, I'll have to be going back to somewhere where I can stay legally... My family has moved to the Czech republic actually right now (Olomouc), so I'll be going there at the end of October of nothing comes up, and I'm planning on studying for the GMAT and going back for a year of classes for a Master's in Accounting degree (undecided what school, depends on GMAT score) here. It's just 30 credits, so it can easily be completed in 2 semesters, or 2 semesters + a summer term. That option is full of uncertainty, and I'm not sure how I'll pay for it, because nobody will give me money just like that from Europe, so it will be very difficult, but I'll see what I can do I suppose.

Anyway, just a heads-up...

noooo heatsurge. Its cool I think you can find a job soon, you are a smart guy :) Could you take some classes and take a loan while you look for work. Not sure maybe an idea to buy time?

have u tried looking in a real city. Salt lake isnt that big, i mean i know its like the new york city of utah but.....
nah man i wish you the best of luck trying to find something. Like fast said is it possible to get a school visa extension and do school loans?

It's too late to just "take a few classes" somewhere, and the visa app. process is kind of laborious and has to be initiated from Bulgaria for another school visa anyway at this point (travel back/forth too much money wasted etc.) and I don't want to waste more time and money with no focus or purpose as far as school goes. I've already graduated last year (I had a year of "optional practical training"), so going to the school where I went is not an option anymore either. I really need to be going to graduate school.

Yes, I've been applying to jobs everywhere in the US, but I'm guessing they have a lot of other qualified applicants and seeing as I live in Salt Lake, it's tough to do crap over the phone (interviews etc.) and in this economy, they'd probably rather go with someone local that's available, which I'm sure there are plenty of...

well like i said bro i wish you the best luck man.

Just move to chicago. The mexicans around here never get deported. I had some labors. That have been here for more then 25 year. That have been pulled over and given tickets. Went to court and nothing. Still here:( Good luck!

See? That's what you get for following the law. Just be like those dirty pig latin speaking Mexicans and crawl over the fence.

Just move to chicago. The mexicans around here never get deported. I had some labors. That have been here for more then 25 year. That have been pulled over and given tickets. Went to court and nothing. Still here:( Good luck!

Yes, that's an option I guess. However, I'm not really up for living my life in constant fear and working shit jobs for the rest of my life.

If I do end up getting a master's degree, it will be a lot easier to get the job that I want (the "American Dream" if you will), and if I do find any job here actually, I can immediately apply for permanent residency and get it within a month or so - something that is also possible with a Bachelor's degree, but there's a 5-6 year backlog of applications, which is why I can't do it...

So, I'd rather back off and take a shot at the master's + good job option a bit later. Hopefully it will work out, and then I can be here 100% legally and even become a citizen someday, which is what I want eventually.

See? That's what you get for following the law. Just be like those dirty pig latin speaking Mexicans and crawl over the fence.

Ah, it's good to see Boon still has a soft, compassionate side to him.

0e6927c2681e48080eb594dd2c30eb5eda466131.jpg

except

canada_its_really_fucking_cold.jpg

Yeah, Canada's an option too, because I think I should qualify with their "points" system with a Bachelor's... but it's a last resort for now - no offense. If all else fails, I'll consider it :-D .

you don't have to live near fast you know, it's a big country :p all joking aside i am not offended at all, canada isn't for everyone

To be honest Heat have you looked at the IRS? If you have not noticed they have been hiring agents galore in the last year. Not sure if they still are, but if you get a job there let me know will ya? Always good to have someone as a friend there.

http://jobs.irs.gov/careers.html

Nah, he would like BC. Way better than Saskatchewan. Good luck, Heat. Sorry the economics and political climate are working against you. You could always say you are related to Obama. His aunt got to stay even though she should have been deported years ago AND she gets to live in government housing.

I was pretty sure it'd be the case, but I did a search for the IRS' generic "Internal Revenue Agent" position... of course (quoted):

"KEY REQUIREMENTS:
  • You must be a citizen of the United States."
...like all government jobs I've seen.

Not that I'd be interested in working for the IRS either - couldn't stand to do that...

As far as Canada goes, it would feel like I got bent over and taken from behind in my mind, but actually I am thinking of picking up skiing and I really like the outdoors, so I might actually like certain locations... like I say, it's an option if nothing else works out.

I don't think I'll stay in Europe...

Heat,

Do you have to be a US citizen to be a contractor for the US govt? They hire out from specialized firms all the time as "contractors" doing the same job, same site, etc, but for a little bit less pay. It's still a good option if it's available.

Chicago is safe! Thay don't let anyone have gun's but...........all the gang bangers do......Mmmmm ya maybe your right;p Well knock up some chick and marry her. Works all the time. If you can't then someone from the clan can marry you ;p

Back