I might be gone for a while from the US...

As far as being a contractor goes, I'm pretty sure they have stringent requirements about what you should be able to do, etc. I'm effectively a "nobody" right now. I've had over a year of crappy experience in school, and about a year of crappy experience out of school, which was borderline accounting (mostly customer service in actuality), and I'm not even eligible for a CPA license in most states (need graduate degree or 150 credits with more accounting credits than I have - effectively graduate), so I don't think anyone from the government or anyone in general will "contract" me for anything right now. I think with accounting, they don't really outsource any functions, or they probably have partners (Big 4 or local firms) for specific duties like public accounting / external auditing, etc. . They have the "Government Accountability Office" too...

Anyway, most of these avenues are closed to me as not a US Citizen or Permanent Resident. Right now, the best thing that could happen is a private organization to hire me in an entry-level or near-entry-level position and give me H1-B Visa sponsorship, but the competition for these places is tough...

If you are coming up the border go to Vancouver, Toronto and/or Calgary. Jobs are well diversed in Van + T.O and people here are always looking for new accountants. You should also try Calgary Alberta. You know they got lots of oil sands up north making lots of money and down in calgary is where their HQ is at, the "money hub". Money caculations balance sheet income statement blah balh. I also don't think they would be a prick here if you actually have a recognizable degree (Like U.S degree but not european one) of some sort and might provide you with a working visa. If they see you useful they will keep you. If you can support yourself for 6 months + while looking for a job, they will keep you.

have you tried import/export companies? they may like the fact you can speek another language, and you should still be able to do some accounting.

You have more excuses to not get a job or reasons why you can't get a job than I've ever heard

There's only like 55 million copies of Quickbooks out there that no one can use ( if I was even close to being an acct. - and you could work for cash.)

And ps- find a chick to "marry" - takes care of the citizenship issue - everyones doing it

I hope all works out for you Heat!

You could always move to Cali and marry Soulzz. Same sex marriage is allowed there!

Sorry, brosef. I'm not hiring right now or else I'd help you out. I just hired a couple of people and I'm no so sure my boss, who already thinks I'm a 'cocky little shit', would tolerate another hire.

Bob, those sites are all immigration attorney firms - they don't take care of the issue that I have to have a job obviously. They just want money to take care of the documents if I have an offer.

I'm not getting married for residency. There's noone that I could do that with right now from the US.

The issue isn't finding ANY job unfortunately. I did find a crappy job and worked for about a year, but for the visa it has to be a job which pays at least the "prevailing wage" for an accounting position, which requires a Bachelor's degree, which is about $20/hr in most places. I can find a crappy clerical job for $14 instantly, but that doesn't work.

This a job search site by Ohio lists all the jobs in Ohio. Pay range when I looked up accountant was: Entry Level Jobs (less than $30K) (350)
Middle Income Jobs ($30K-$49K) (926)
Upper Income Jobs ($50K-$79K) (1612)
High Income Jobs ($80K-$99K) (418)
Six Figure Jobs($100K+) (457)

https://ohiomeansjobs.com/omj/ I typed the zip codes 44092(Wickliffe) or 44095(Eastlake). Both cities are in Lake county. They are on the border of the county close to very close to Cuyahoga county(Cleveland) and close to freeways and stores.

If you want US Citizenship, then Enlist in the Military. I served with guys from Africa, Romania, Belgium,Columbia and Even Fucking Micronesia. They all were trying to get Citizenship in US. And serving in the forces is the easiest way to get it. You already have a Degree from a US college, which would assist a lot in being accepted into the Military. And jsut so you know, the Military stocks Finance jobs. Check it out man. Don't wait.

Dude, I talked to a recruiter from the Air Force too, and I'm not sure how these "guys from Romania, Belgium, etc." are in there, but what I was told is that as an international, I can't serve in the US military basically - unless they have some specific interest in the country they're in, like for translating or something, but that's not the case with Bulgaria from what they told me.

I also talked to a couple of recruiters for the marines while at school and they told me the same thing - that I'm basically SOL.

Maybe those guys are permanent residents looking for faster citizenship? I don't know. I'm not sure I want to be in the military right now, but can anyone ask how this is possible (internationals serving in the military) if they have contacts?? If anything, it seems like an INCREDIBLE security risk (international spies, anyone?)...

Sorry to hear that heat. Hope everything works out for you. We have quite a few international student pilots here at Laughlin AFB, I will talk to a few that i have met and see if I can get some information.

Back