Bad news for mw2

imo even if u didnt like the mp on the pc version of cod4, the campaign would be worth 10 bucks to me. that campaign was really good, even if it was a bit short

Heat, if you've ever played San Andreas Multiplayer, it currently supports up to 500 slots. It may be a bit out dated, but it's still really fun IMO. If you want to play it on the weekend, let me know ;).

Just saw this article on Gameinformer it was posted around noon yesterday. Original article here http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/10/20/modern-warfare-2-dedicated-server-response.aspx

Modern Warfare fansite bashandslash.com recently reported that Infinity Ward is removing dedicated server functionality from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. With dedicated servers and the server browser that comes with them replaced with custom-built matchmaking, PC gamers will have an online experience functionally identical to console players. Among other things, this means that clans can't run their own servers with their own mods and rulesets for their own private (or public, if they feel like crushing some scrubs for giggles) use.

Predictably, nerds across world took to the Internet with a wailing and a gnashing of teeth that would make the Left 4 Dead community proud. An online petition to bring back dedicated servers at the time of this writing stands at 100,000+ signatures. However -- and this may shock some gamers with advanced persecution complexes -- this move was not made to tweak the noses of the PC community. Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella explain the decision as a conscious effort to improve their game for the vast majority of their players.

"We're just prioritizing the player experience above the modders and the tuners," says West. He points toward the mounting feedback IW has received from PC fans of Modern Warfare who couldn't find a decent server to play on between all of the cheaters, the insular communities, and huge skill level disparities that the original game's community fractured into. "We thought maybe it would be cool if the fans could play the game," he laughs.

IW says that gameplay concerns for the majority of MW2 players are the overriding reasons for the decision. Zampella downplays the obvious piracy prevention angle (IW has cited numbers of people online playing illegal copies of Modern Warfare up to 60 percent). "The Steam stuff helps with the piracy. I don't know that the matchmaking stuff does," he notes. West takes a shot at the motives behind some of the outrage, noting that there's money to made by selling dedicated servers and adspace on them: "It's a little dubious. Some of the people complaining are complaining with their pocketbook."

Again and again during our conversation, West and Zampella hammer the point that hardcore PC players lose very little to this change relative to the returns that casual to moderate fans will see. Clans can set up private matches to do their training or what have you; all they lose is the ability to customize the game on a deeper level with mods and such. Infinity Ward sees the addition of solid matchmaking and community support like IW-run tournaments to the PC as a huge win, and not something that could be done under the old system.

Why not have both? West does not want to include dedicated servers alongside the custom-built backend, stating that it would just "bifurcate the community."

So instead of actually playing the game and seeing what was going on these twats rely on nubs who don't want to take the time to get skill and become better. What are they gonna do when they get the same messages as before?

Robert Bowling aka 402 released this info about iwnet yesterday. original article here http://www.fourzerotwo.com

I recently broke news on a PC community member’s podcast that Modern Warfare 2 would be introducing a completely new backend infastructure called IWNET that would allow matchmaking for multiplayer games on PC. The news, by default, means no more browsing through a Server List for a server with the settings / ping you want among other things, and sent shockwaves through the hardcore PC community, leading to many more questions than answers as to ‘HOW’ this would work, and if it would really be better for the PC community as a whole.

Questions, assumptions, and speculation I intend to dispel.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is actually the biggest investment Infinity Ward has ever made into the PC version of our games. It’s also the most feature-rich PC version we’ve ever made. IWNET takes the benefits of dedicated servers and allows them to be utilized and accessed by every player, out of the box, while removing the barrier to entry for players unaware of how to maintain a server on their own.

How does it do this?

Matchmaking & Smoother Gameplay: When you want to player a multiplayer game on PC, in the past. You’d have to scroll through a Server Browser which listed every available server which was hosted by individual server admins. Each had their own private rules, mods, or ways of playing the game. Most players would also use the server browser to find just the best quality game (based on PING). With IWNET matchmaking, it takes all that into account for you. All you have to do is select the playlist (pre-set gametypes with custom rules) that fits the style of play you are in the mood for. When you do, it will automatically find you a game with the best performance, ping, and preferences based on your location and individual connection as well as matching you with players of your same SKILL. So you’re always guaranteed the best game performance for where you are and what connection you’re playing on as well as an equal game with other players of your same skill level, not rank, but skill level. It doesn’t mean you’ll just be thrown into a random game! It will put you in the game that will give you the smoothest gameplay possible without you having to manually find a server with the best ping.

Playlists and Private Matches: As I described above, Playlists are pre-set game modes and gametypes for public games. If you just want to jump into a public game of Search and Destroy or Hardcore Search and Destroy and you don’t care about fully customizing it, then you can utilize playlists to do that quickly for you. However, say you’re in a clan and you want to play a Clan match with another team, or you want to practice for an upcoming tournament that has specific rules in a private game. Then you can start a Private Match (which is essentially like running your own private server) where you have complete control over the rules, who can join, boot players you don’t want, and essentially control the entire game or tweak it to your liking. Once the rules are set, you can invite the other team in or just start it up with your clan to practice with the custom rules before the match. This now allows you to play custom games out of the box without the need to install mods, find a modded server with the rules you like, or worry about not being in control of the match.

Party System and Friendslist: Modern Warfare 2 on PC also makes it much easier if you want to party up with your friends, or again, with your clan for a match. You can utilize the friendslist to see when your friends are online, and invite them to your Party. A Party allows you to move from game to game as a group. It’s great for clan matches, because you can party of with your clan and move from public game to public game together. Or if you’re doing a scrim, party up and invite the other clan (who is in a party) and they’ll all join at once. Set up a private match together and play. It makes setting up scrims or games with friends easier and hassle free.

Cheat / Hack Free Games: The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don’t have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep games clean of hackers and cheaters.

All in all, IWNET adds a load of new features that the PC version of our games have never had before and allows us an infrastructure to continue to update and improve on the game post-launch.

Cheat/Hack free games? What shit... CS is free of hacks no?

IW really fucked themselves on this one... and only a complete about face will change things. So far they are sticking to their guns but with Dice already moving in on the turf and distributors howling mad (5 bucks of the game sold is probably their profit margin) along with GSP's raising the roof they have given new meaning to the term self-anal.

well, instead of buying this i will put some moola away for BFBC2 and BF3... suckas

So the match making is a port of the console version and that costs more money then putting in a server browser? Wow, that's news to me IW.

[quote1256156753=z242pilot]
well, instead of buying this i will put some moola away for BFBC2 and BF3... suckas
[/quote1256156753]

Yes! I mean I suck at FPS but I enjoy playing with a group of people I know not a bunch of damn 13 year olds.

Lots of shit being raised on their forums. In the good news territory the editor for PC Gamer Magazine signed the petition and highlighted numerous good reasons IW is full of shit.

Another points is for folks on metered connections in Europe.. they are fucked. Not only that but folks in bumfuck Egypt who could previously get together and get a local server, well they can't now. Just wait till those guys are stuck with 500 milliseconds ping times... not gonna go over well.

Then you have the host advantage/host dying during the game/host being a prick/unable to boot assholes, etc etc etc.

Should PC folks follow through with not buying in significant number look for that to be the story more then the amount of titles sold in the first week. Headlines WILL read MW2 has huge release... BUT it could have been bigger then 90% of the story will be about fuckin the PC guys. It could very well turn into a headache for 420 who is off on holiday, er press tour in Europe... where some of the biggest problems will be created with this new setup.

well said bucky!

Few people on the podcast urges us communities to keep our cod 4 and 5 servers. We were thinking of taking down the cod 5 server but now I doubt that will happen. If they never ever allow us to host servers then we might start a cod 4 server instead, and I guess that can be our MW2 server lulz!

I haven't played MW in awhile but if y'all switch over server from WaW to MW I'd have no issue with it.

Ok i have seen rumors that retailers have been canceling alot of their pc orders for day 1 sales. im gonna guess that IW put a stop to that because walmart is now offering a $20 giftcard with pc preorders.
http://www.walmart.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2/ip/11332035

Sounds like they are gonna have a surplus of the pc version. First time ive ever seen a sale on a game that hasnt released yet. especially one that was hyped as much as this.
Seems amazon.com is doing the $20 credit towards future video game purchase with theres. and the pc version is #25 in their sales thing which is probably a bit inaccurate but its just behind the amazing Ps3 Blu-Ray disc remote control. this will be the first time i use this but LuLz

yea but its a recent thing prolly started with people canceling their pc pre orders.

more bad news

"Are you a COD4 fan just frothing at the mouth waiting for Modern Warfare 2? Many of us are too. Those of us who are looking forward to playing it on the PC have been given small frights with the rumored delay (now found untrue), and the sadly true news of the lack of dedicated servers.

Now those who are extremely hardcore into the PC versions of Call of Duty may find another slightly disappointing bit of news to do with Modern Warfare 2 – players won't have access to the console for advanced settings and options.

Vince Zampella of Infinity Ward confirmed the news in a community chat when a player asked if it'd be possible to change the FOV, weapon damage, perks, graphical debris, breathing sway, etc.

Zampella simply replied, "We would like you to play the game the way we designed and balanced it."

Other interesting Q&A bits from Mackey McCandlish include:

Mackey-IW: Players do not control who hosts.

Mackey-IW: Only players capable of hosting will be host.

Mackey-IW: Games cap out at 9v9. The software has great latency tolerance. See above!

Mackey-IW: I've been playing mainly with around 100ms ping and it was great.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cod-modern-warfare-2-console,9006.html

Back