Windows 10

Are you running beta or WHQL certified drivers?

Did you upgrade to 10 or install a fresh copy of 10? Might make a difference.

Did the upgrade last night! It's pretty much just windows 7 with some sprinkles on top.
Have not tried gaming yet so not sure if I have any driver issues.

The problem is Win 10 installs all new drivers whether they work or not; in the case of Nvidia cards a lot of them crash in game or in desktop with the latest driver. This is the main reason I will not upgrade. I'll probably get the Pro version so it's not forcing me to auto update everything, which is a dumb as hell policy. Because we all know that new drivers for every device are perfect...fuck you MS.

The problem is Win 10 installs all new drivers whether they work or not; in the case of Nvidia cards a lot of them crash in game or in desktop with the latest driver. This is the main reason I will not upgrade. I'll probably get the Pro version so it's not forcing me to auto update everything, which is a dumb as hell policy. Because we all know that new drivers for every device are perfect...fuck you MS.

I did the "Upgrade" thing from 8.1 pretty much just to see what the gold release of 10 was like. My concerns mirrored yours, free was intrusive. Anyway, bought 10 pro from the Egg and a week in I think it's the best OS I've ever ran for reasons echoed by others. YMMV. Asus is providing 10 drivers as far back as z87 boards that work as advertised, unsure of other Mobo manufacturers. Some links:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/191541-windows-10-the-best-hidden-features-tips-and-tricks

http://www.howtogeek.com/198122/32-new-keyboard-shortcuts-in-the-windows-10-technical-preview/ Very helpful, esp. with VM, at least for me.

From what I've read the new instructions sets are no where near optimized (are they ever) for Broadwell/Skylake, so all the benches that are floating around should be taken with a grain of salt imo.

It works, it's great, it's not perfect, but it's not far off.

Micro$oft have done it. They've released an OS that's genuinely worth the cost. I'm advising my non-tech friends to delay the update for a month or two, but that's prudence rather than necessity.

Probably the best Windows since, I don't know, fucking Vista or something.
Vista was a not a good OS I am havening no problems with Windows 10 so far.

I like windows 10 so far.... for the most part.

The problem I've been having is random crash to desktop in Battlefield. No error messages most of the time. I do get a " directx failed" error message once in a while in which I have to reboot my machine. I've reverted back to the last windows 8.1 graphics driver that I had and seemed to solve most of it. The windows 10 ati driver just doesn't cut it right now.

Thinks I like, It takes a lot less of your system resources to run. It boots slightly faster. You don't have to deal with that tile interface or download special addons just to use the OS like you used to. I do wish that it had a regular start menu like the older windows to find programs easier but meh I can live with it.

I like windows 10 so far.... for the most part.

The problem I've been having is random crash to desktop in Battlefield. No error messages most of the time. I do get a " directx failed" error message once in a while in which I have to reboot my machine. I've reverted back to the last windows 8.1 graphics driver that I had and seemed to solve most of it. The windows 10 ati driver just doesn't cut it right now.

Thinks I like, It takes a lot less of your system resources to run. It boots slightly faster. You don't have to deal with that tile interface or download special addons just to use the OS like you used to. I do wish that it had a regular start menu like the older windows to find programs easier but meh I can live with it.
You've got a driver problem for you gpu is what you've got and guess what? Win 10 won't let you roll back to another driver or it will but then it will reinstall the same shitty one you're using now over and over and over again. Welcome to the new Windows!

Will have to try messing with the drivers and see if it fixes the issue. It did it originally the 1st 2 times on old drivers, I then updated and it did on the new drivers as well the day that all this started.

Edit: New drivers released for nvidia game runs like a champ now.

Last edited:
Ever since I moved up to Win 10, is that I get random lag spikes. They last but for a minute and are gone, and they seem limited to system/video lag, as opposed to network based lag.

Windows Movie Maker: For those of you that use this product, it is still on your PC but you need to find it manually in your Program Files (X86) folder.

Back