War w/Syria

Supra

I just found out we are going to war with them and the air campaign is gonna cost $2 billion alone.. wtf?

that was fast, thought u guys would of finish Afghanistan off before u headed out for another.

I thought the same thing, seems our shadow government has other plans for us

either way, we don't need another intervention. Syria is part of the U.N. let the UN do something for a change.

We cant invade Iran because of its ties with Russia as well as most of the the middle east

as most americans i have met are so fond of saying. YOU ARE THE U.N.

Why Syria? Why not Iran?

Iran? One reason basically strait of hormuz. You go to war with them, they block the world oil because they control that part of the water. Thus the world prices basically shoots really up and people grow weary and start to protest/riot etc... Not something you want, halting already a weaken global economy.
Given that russia supplies syrian government with tanks and weapons I would not be surprised they are also giving some to Iran. The regime is not that stupid anymore so things are a bit tougher.

And apparently you got Iranian army then another set of army only loyal to the regime. Many many obstacles.

If anything syria is better. Syria and Iran are tight you fuck up syria and iran is left alone. (Well china and russia are always on the tyrants side these days for political reasons)

If iran assets will be targeted at least Israel do it. They have a better reason to.

i think they are trying to but russia and china keep vetoing.

As long as those two countries are not aboard this will continue until the bitter end...sadly.

Iran? One reason basically strait of hormuz. You go to war with them, they block the world oil because they control that part of the water. Thus the world prices basically shoots really up and people grow weary and start to protest/riot etc... Not something you want.
Given that russia supplies syrian government with tanks and weapons I would not be surprised they are also giving some to Iran. The regime is not that stupid anymore so things are a bit tougher.

And apparently you got Iranian army then another set of army only loyal to the regime. Many many obstacles.

If anything syria is better. Syria and Iran are tight you fuck up syria and iran is left alone. (Well china and russia are always on the tyrants side these days for political reasons)

If iran assets will be targeted at least Israel do it. They have a better reason to.

Straits of Hormuz is nowhere near as important as the Suez Canal. The only countries cut off would be Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, the UAE, and about half of Iran & Saudi Arabia. Plus, Iran doesn't own the entirety of the Straits--they can claim domain over half of the Straits but the other side, the Southern half, belongs to Oman & the UAE. Anything that can pass through the Suez Canal can also pass through Bab-el-Mandeb--half of S.A.'s ports could be blocked but, if Iran deems it important, it's still a regional issue. Iran trying to close the Straits could result in a war directly with another Persian Gulf country and it also means that Iran will be under pressure to reopen the Straits to commercial traffic.

I honestly think the threat is phony and that the use of military force will have a far greater effect in raising oil prices than Iran's so-far empty posturing.

These countries control a majority of the worlds crude oil, so if they are cut off from the world, essentially the rest of the world is cut off from oil.
I am sure our Navy would have no problem keeping it open though.

The real question in my mind is what the UAE & Oman would do if the Straits were closed. Would they simply grasp for additional profit and stand with Iran or would they keep their side of the Straits open regardless? If they keep their side open, will they consider Iran's actions as a blockade and, if it is a blockade, will they respond with military action against their neighbor?

Renno any word on your boyz going back out?

This is just bad timing to go back to war.....well we are still in war but now it's getting bigger after we thought this shit was coming to an end.

Think there be a draft? :(

Straits of Hormuz is nowhere near as important as the Suez Canal. The only countries cut off would be Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, the UAE, and about half of Iran & Saudi Arabia. Plus, Iran doesn't own the entirety of the Straits--they can claim domain over half of the Straits but the other side, the Southern half, belongs to Oman & the UAE. Anything that can pass through the Suez Canal can also pass through Bab-el-Mandeb--half of S.A.'s ports could be blocked but, if Iran deems it important, it's still a regional issue. Iran trying to close the Straits could result in a war directly with another Persian Gulf country and it also means that Iran will be under pressure to reopen the Straits to commercial traffic.

I honestly think the threat is phony and that the use of military force will have a far greater effect in raising oil prices than Iran's so-far empty posturing.

Let them close it, see what happens. And you think somehow that would not affect world prices? Does not matter, Suez canal is not going for the rest of the world. This is globalization, you fuck with one region you fuck with the rest.

You never disrupt any oil supply.

being 1st 2nd 3rd largest in terms of exporting oil means nothing.

20% of world oil passes there. Thats enough to do serious damage to an already weaken global economy which in the end will cost you jobs specially with your high unemployment. If that means shit, then sure go for it. But there are huge consequences for attacking Iran, and they know this. Why do you think they are so cocky?

No one can war with Iran or Syria at the moment. Partly because of Russia and China ties between both countries I believe, and also the UN wouldn't permit it. Iranian oil has already been blocked and barely anyone is importing it now which is crippling the country as we speak. Its only a matter of time and possibly further precautions until Iran crumble without military intervention.
Syria is a tough one cause they are actually killing citizens as we speak in their own country whether Iran is just a rising threat. A full out war wouldn't do anything in Syria. I personally think if countries are thinking about war with Syria then they should keep it simple and just sever the snakes head. Assassinate president Bashar al-assad. Then maybe the army will just collapse and the loyal follows wouldn't have anyhting to be loyal to? I don't know. Someone would probably just step up in his shoes.

Although there is to be a constitution vote in Syria which might be good or bad. It may give the people freedom and rights or it may just entrench Al-Assads presidency

These countries control a majority of the worlds crude oil, so if they are cut off from the world, essentially the rest of the world is cut off from oil.
I am sure our Navy would have no problem keeping it open though.

Yup...

If we go pre-emptive on Iran, it's going to be just like Desert Storm 1, over in less than 3 days conventional and the straits will be ours.

Back