TBG Battlefield Servers and Balance

Bippster

Hey guys, ive been a fan of the TBG servers since Bad company 2. Recently ive been finding my self leaving half way through a game due to balance issues. More often than not the rounds are completely one sided, like the last one I was in was 800-0. The auto balance that is on the server now doesnt really do much other than put new joining players onto the losing team when the game is already set in stone with a 500+ ticket lead. Or more extreme cases when ive found my self getting auto balanced to the losing team, fight my ass of to help my team start winning and then get switch from that team to the now losing team.

It wont stop me from playing your servers, its figured id throw in my 2 cents. While everyone was complaining about rubber banding or shitty "netcode" ive found that your server runs just perfect and all these issues people are having are definitely based on the server provider or back end hardware.

Hello,

THanks for stopping by. Sadly we can't do much about being one sided.

In regards to auto balance. It's really hard to please everyone. We had plugin where it would move lone wolves to other team, they would bitch, badly. Now we do last player connected and that is still causing issues because they aren't getting into the fight as quickly and don't really help out the team.

I may have to revert back into moving lone wolves instead.

it a lose, lose situation in that matter. We support team work in our clan, so FAST, i would rather listen to the "lone-wolves" bitch than hard working smurfs!

Personally I think BF4 is better at balance. Balance can't be achieved on a map to map level, however, I have seen very unbalanced sides even itself out in 2-3 maps pretty regularly. Back in the day of Metro BF3 the unbalanced side could last for 4-6 hours.

Personally I think BF4 is better at balance.

I think its worse at balance. DICE thought it best to not implement the ability to determine if a player is a commander. Meaning all plugins for balance can actually get hung up trying to move the commander which is always a guaranteed lone wolf. Thanks to DICE its nearly impossible to write a good balancer for BF4.

As far as moving new players onto the losing team, you would be pissed if you were on a team with your friends for an entire round moved to the losing team. So what to do bip?

i mean it is never going to be perfect, but balancing lone wolves first is better to me than last joiner. cuz sometimes it will be 30 minutes before I get swapped as a "last joiner" and ive seen chat window say :so and so has joined server before I get swapped as last joiner

... i would rather listen to the "lone-wolves" bitch than hard working smurfs!

Well, let me make it official, I'm bitching. I just spent an hour or so on your Operation Locker 24/7 server. I originally spawned into the "good" team, and was auto balanced within 5 minutes on to the "bad" team. This behavior continued with virtually all new joiners for the duration, resulting in sides that were continuously and meticulously "tuned" to ensure that the fight was always entirely one-sided.

Reading this thread has educated me about some of the challenges you face with side balancing, and that is unfortunate, but I can assure you that the end result of the current balancing behavior is to give TBG a bad reputation amongst the new players who seem to make up the majority of those in the lone wolf category.

Short of having dedicated lone wolf servers (you have unlimited money right?), I can think of no solution, but hopefully DICE will find a way to address the issue...not holding breath.

people bitch about moving lone wolves people bitch about last person connecting. No matter who we target there are complaints. Lone wolves designation will not be changed.

It was the same concept in battlefield 2 and 2142 made by DICE so that is the way it will be now.

If the server moved someone else instead, they would bitch too. Inevitable.

Last edited:
people bitch about moving lone wolves people bitch about last person connecting. No matter who we target there are complaints. Lone wolves designation will not be changed.

It was the same concept in battlefield 2 and 2142 made by DICE so that is the way it will be now.

If the server moved someone else instead, they would bitch too. Inevitable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching about being moved (the team selection is random after all), but the effect of the balancing seems to be that most players that are operating as squads (teamwork, communications, etc.) are ending up on the same side. Ideally, squads would be distributed to both sides so that both would benefit from the advantages from having cores of highly effective players, with the lone wolves doing their own thing around the edges.

Is my observation incorrect about all "teamed-up" players being on one side?

I have been away from the Battlefield series since 1942/DC and just got BF4 a couple of weeks ago. (I'm always playing one FPS or another since 1988, but just now back to BF, so am unfamiliar with server behavior since Desert Combat.)

Thanks for your patience. I am a noob in a relative sense.

Do you have any suggestions? It has to obviously be realistic. After all, these are all scripts not AI (i wish)

Yeah, and I'd rather have, in this order:

1. Last player joined (assuming it actually works properly)
2. Lone wolf
3. Random balancer
4. Highest scoring squad moved to losing team

I leave every server I go to that does #3 and 4. The others I'll live with, but those two I just can't stand. Ugh. But bottom line, as illustrated in this thread, you can't please everyone.

I can see last player join not really being helpful because they join in and have no idea he is on the losing side being dominated. And it seems like it was not working properly.

Nobody seem to complain in battlefield 2 and 2142 and lone wolves were also the first to go.

Nobody seem to complain in battlefield 2 and 2142 and lone wolves were also the first to go.

And that was like a century ago. Seriously, different mindset to the players these days.

Do you have any suggestions? It has to obviously be realistic. After all, these are all scripts not AI (i wish)

Since I have not been a server admin since DC, I have no idea what would be considered realistic on BF servers, but I would be inclined to place the greatest balancing weight upon players joining the server as a group. This would be based upon the assumption that their effectiveness will provide a balancing effect greater than the sum of their component parts because the mere fact that they are grouped signals that they may be more sophisticated and are probably communicating via vent or TS. Ideally, each side would end up having groups of players forming a core of (hopefully) effective squads.

Which side they are joined to would be determined by the current score if there is a large disparity, or by player population if the score is fairly even. If their joining a side greatly unbalances things population-wise, then lone wolves could be switched to re-balance the population.

Upon a new map spawn, the measured effectiveness of groups could be used to provide a starting balance.

Lets say each side has a player of 28-26 player. Server needs to add players to the side with only 26 players. If you move a squad of lets say 4 that would make 24-30. That still leaves the server unbalanced.

If lone wolves re-balancing is used to fix this afterward, that would still piss them off as well. Also, there is too much player movement going on.

I don't think there are autoblance plugins that will target squads first then lone wolves.

Lets say each side has a player of 28-26 player. Server needs to add players to the side with only 26 players. If you move a squad of lets say 4 that would make 24-30. That still leaves the server unbalanced.

If lone wolves re-balancing is used to fix this afterward, that would still piss them off as well. Also, there is too much player movement going on.

I don't think there are autoblance plugins that will target squads first then lone wolves.

It is indeed a labyrinth of a problem. So glad it's your job and not mine!

Yes, I've probably been gaming longer than you've been alive. As to the mindset changing, I seriously doubt it.

Perhaps the 2 of you played an arcade game in the 70's but unless you were playing "video" games on mainframe computers in the 60's I doubt you have much game time on old man sixer :p maybe a few years depending on your interests in earlier life. In multiplayer gaming its kinda pointless to try and compare age. The average age of a gamer is older than that of people old enough to have first used modern dialup and in home 3d graphics. I have played telnet games so yes I know multiplayer existed well before I used the internet. Dunno how old six really is sure you probably have 20+ years on him.

A few people here were playing the same games as you at the same time as you even if you have 10 years on a few of the guys. You have to attack young people to be sure of yourself :p

Good news is you actually have the distinction of being alive in the same year as Tic Tac Toe was being played on the EDSAC. Funny enough I played it long enough to find a bug in its code lol. Had to write a museum to make sure it was the code and not the emulation.

Last edited:
Back