SOCHI BITCHES!

cplmac

How can we be a week deep in the 2014 Winter Olympics and not have a fucking thread up yet? And with all the hockey fans around here...

USA/RUSSIA are tied at 1 heading into the third period, great game so far. I think this might be the last Olympics we see NHL players, too many injuries. Womens hockey will be gold medal game between USA/CAN again of course. Mens gold medal game will be CAN/USA but Russia might face CAN. USA and Russia are in a tough bracket, CAN will walk through their bracket. Sweden is missing three of it's best players and Finland just isn't quite on the same level as CAN, RU or USA. Comrade Putin stopped by USA house and CAN house before the USA/RU game, sat down and had a glass of whine with the US administrators and NBC brass.

USA/Russia was the craziest Olympic hockey game I've ever seen. 2-2 into overtime, every goal scored on power plays from stupid penalties for both teams. OT goes scoreless. Into the shootout, looks like USA is going to win the shootout 1-0 but Kovalchuck scores on Russia's last shot. For the next half dozen shots the Russians ran a combination of Kovalchuck and Datsyuk, USA ran Oshee for every single shot. In the end Oshee wins it for team USA! Crazy fucking game!

dont forget about the goal they called back because the net wasn't set. very good game!

And the officials decided the USA/CAN womens gold medal game, they decided their preliminary game as well. Sad that the players aren't being allowed to determine the winner. Lets hope the officials allow the players to decide the mens gold medal game when USA/CAN take the ice for the mens medal. This also might be the last Olympics we see NHL players in, it will be a major issue in the next CBA negotiations. Tavares, Barkov, Kopecky and Zetterburg are all leaving Sochi injured and out indefinitely. Tavares is done for the season with an ACL tear, Kopecky is indefinite with a concussion. Tavares is a particularly harsh blow, he's one of the best players in the league playing for one of the worst teams in the Islanders. The Islanders are losing quality players left and right just because they don't want to be on the Islanders anymore and now their only actual star player is out for the season, on the upside they will probably be picking up the first overall draft pick. On a side note, what in the fucking fuck happened to speed skating? The Netherlands won 18 of the 27 total medals in the sport? What the fuck? One medal in TOTAL for the Americans and Koreans who have absolutely dominated the sport for the past 8 years. And finally, the bronze medal game for mens hockey between Finland and Sweden has been excellent. Very chippy game, Sweden leads 2-1 with 5 minutes remaining. I have to admit I'm pulling for Sweden because three of their players are on loan from my Chicago Blackhawks. The Hawks fielded 10 players to the Olympics, 7 of them are coming back with medals. Canada has Toews, Sharp and Keith (Seabrook got fucked by the retarded Yzerman strategy on drafting) USA has Kane and Sweden has Oduya, Kruger and my favorite Hammer (Hjarlmarsson).

Hockey is the best part of the Olympics for sure, congrats to Canada on the gold medal. I would like to extend a hearty go fuck yourself to NBC who made these Olympics nearly impossible to follow. Dear Comcast, please sell NBC to a company that doesn't already own an army of sports networks.

5 am here and the bars will be open and serving Sunday!

Back