So I played Bad Company 2 today...

I dont know what people expected for the first day of game play. I never even thought I would get to play till the day it showed up at the door. I mean its the beta, there are countless reasons why gameplay is bad. How about starting with its the most anticipated game that EA has had in a while. Second, the servers are jammed with people downloading. Think of all the bandwidth. Then they have to work the buggs out. When the game shows up on March 2 it might be better. I have been anticipating this game for 6 months as well as everyone else, so why dont we give it the rest of the month for EA to work the bugs out. This is truely going to be a amazing game we have all been waiting for.

not to mention it is the first time frostbite has been put out on pc...

btw whatever happened to bf 1943 for pc?

Supra stop making sense....let us all bitch and whine! It makes us feel better!

I don't even have the beta, I was at school when I saw the post about it. Can I bitch anyway just to feel like I am participating?

Disclaimer to this post: This is a review of the beta by a cynical person (me). You really should see for yourself before you make judgment.

Login.
Updating stats [rotating circle]...
Click on server browser
Login.
Updating data...
Updating data...
Crash
Restart
Login.
Click on server browser
Login.
Updating data...
Updating data...
Crash
Restart
Login.
Click on server browser
Login.
Updating data...
Updating data...
Crash
Restart
Play Now
Login.
UK Server.
Lag, walk somewhere, get teleported 5 seconds back in time
Reload, walk somewhere, get teleported 5 seconds back in time. Empty
Shoot someone, walk somewhere, get teleported 5 seconds back in time. Empty
You have lost connection.
Click "Play Now"
Non-responsive
Click "Play Now"
Click "Play Now"
Click "Play Now"
Click "Play Now"
Click "Play Now"
Non-responsive
Alt+F4...
etc. etc. etc.

I know - it's a beta on release. It's also a really terrible one. Which beta was at least comfortably playable on release? World In Conflict, Frontlines: Fuel Of War, Zero Gear, Metal Drift are a few that I've seen - perhaps there's more (I haven't been able to beta test much).

Things with lag and the menu will surely improve, but from the ~15 minutes out of the hour I spent re-logging in, my impressions are:

Engine looks alright, but I'm not impressed with the anti-aliasing. It doesn't anti-alias as it should. Level design seemed OK, but a bit small for my liking. Texturing on bushes and things is quite well-done. Sound is alright, shellshock effects are a bit too exaggerated for my liking.

Some things which I liked:
Texturing, modelling, breakable stuff, delivers arguably above average "cinematic" experience (a la Crysis / Borderlands etc.)

Some things which I disliked:
Antialiasing is weak. Performance is terrible (on par with crysis), so settings will have to be turned down which would make the game more ugly. There is no way to make the crouch toggle-able, so you have to hold it. There is no way to make the zoom un-toggleable, so you have to click it. No prone. (Mandatory?) killcam on whoever killed you, as well as a nice overview of the whole level as you spawn so you can see exactly where the enemy is.

To top it off, some asshole (perhaps even from TBG or someone who hates TBG) registered my name already (~9:45 into the game).

Everything considered, I'm not sure if I'll be getting this, unless miracles happen - but from the betas I've seen they rarely do. The game will remain more or less the same, at its core. They may fix the lag, balance things, improve models, improve levels. However, the core engine is written and what you see in the beta (especially as it gets closer to release) will be the core experience in retail.

btw whatever happened to bf 1943 for pc?

They said it will be delayed to until after BC2 has launched, so probably in about 2 months from now is the earliest I'd start expecting it. Same with the vaporware 2142 final uberstability uberantispoofing superpatch.

Looks sweet, but im depressed assault is no longer the medic class...I like having a rifle with my medic not a LMG!! oh and the lack of prone makes me sad. Hopefully the lag will get better. I'm gonna be keeping my fingers crossed that assault gets medic stuff back lol

I'm gonna be keeping my fingers crossed that assault gets medic stuff back lol

No...

I'm sure it was a design decision made very, very, very early in the planning stages of the game.

It's way too late for these kinds of things to be changed.

They're probably already planning the classes for the next big game (BF3) right now, or perhaps a bit after the BC2 release.

The beta is more about cleaning up glitches and bugs, balancing, and last-minute details.

Tonight I had no lag issues in game and was running on high settings at 1680 x 1050 and averaging 70 fps. The game play is much different than 2142, the vehicles are cool, and squad play/communication a must. I still think 2142 Titan is a cool concept but it is hard to compare the games because the play is so different. I do like the trees and buildings going away and the dialogue is cool.

I had no lag issues either, but then I didn't try to play it until about 11pm. I'm with chuck, I was running 1680x1050 at 120hz refresh rate at mid 60-s to mid 70s fps with all the graphics settings on high.

The game play is much different than 2142, but it is a different game also. I know a lot of people had the same problem of not liking 2142 because it doesn't play the same way BF2 does but guess what-they're different games.

The only negative thing I have to say, besides the obvious bugs-server menu, buddy list, is that you can not go prone at all. It sucks sniping crouched and with the RPK it's highly innacurate with any movement on your part at all.

I loved mowing down trees, walls, buildings with the tank or .50cal guns. Blowing up tanks is just as fun as it is in 2142-always gratifying. I'm just sorry I forgot to try out killing somebody with my engineer repair tool since that is an option with this game :)

This is the best of both worlds for me, I love 1943 on the PS3 and hoped they were going to put in on PC, well, they pretty much did with this game, with a modern update. The assault kit rocks with the M203 and having ammo supplies to reload it, you really can rack up the kills with it. I really enjoy the game and happy to put 2142 to rest!

As far as the problems, its working great today, of course there was going to be issues yesterday with millions trying to download and play at the same time. This is one of those games you are going to love or hate from the beginning, like any game I guess. I am glad I like it. Hope other will stick with it.

Shit, after seeing the new graphics engine and the destructible environment, I'm ready to retire 2142 right now. I had a blast playing last night and got to try out all the kits, even though I failed miserably trying to kill somebody with the shock paddles +1 fail for me!

I only got in a tank once as the driver and my shots mid to long range were way off. I was in a tank once with chuck driving-he was killing everything in sight, and I loved that the gunner can zoom in and I was mowing infantry down with that. Anyway, I really enjoyed playing it and am looking forward to the release.

Not for me man. It's just another console port. I'll be waiting for BF3, assuming it's actually a PC version. Granted it's still very early in the beta but I guess I've gotten spoiled from Titan mode in 2142. It's another pointless capture the fake flag game.

Just had some rounds in beta.It gives me the feeling of a console game and not a PC one. Lot's of graphs and sounds effects but a little bit confusing to orientate inside the gaming area. Tons of weapons to choose(stationary, ground or air moving, kits), but something missing. Ok I know it's my first time trying to play the game, but I think that the gameplay of BF2142(solid and clean) is unbeatable, even for a noob!Not very impressed!

I played some today and had a much better experience than yesterday. It's still not my favorite but it has glimpses of potential. I suppose if I was better at the game itself it would be funner.

I suppose if I was better at the game itself it would be funner. __________________
Soldier, I felt like that at first last night, but when we had 4 of our guys, TBG, in a squad supporting each other, it was a lot more fun and they were able to give me pointers on things I did not know. I'll play it late again tonight if you're on and see if we can get in the same server and squad. It was definitely a better experience having squad members who help intially.

The can actually snipe in BC2, in 2142 I would lead a target and never hit it. I can now lead with the millimeter dots and drop someone. I got like 9 kills in a round just being positioned a good choke point. but I did have help, an engineer shot like 5 rpg's at a building a leveled it, which created the choke point. None-the-less it left the enemy with flank open to me and my squad of snipers.

whoa i was blown away by the stats on ppl trying to play/download the game on the first day.. 10,000 connections per second???!!! friggin nuts... but definitely explains the uber lagg..

cheeze out..

I just played BC2. No argument from me, this game kicks 2142 in the face. Its amazing. I've had no lag issues or any of that. I run it maxed out 1920x1200 HD full graphics and am having an absolute BLAST.]

EDIT: And this is day 2 of the BETA...

The main thing i'd like to see added into the game is a toggle crouch option. Holding CTRL gets annoying. Also, I hope the friends list gets fixed soon. Alot of people, including myself am having issues with it. :(

I forgot to mention that prone seems to not exist in this which is a little late but whatever.

Soldier don't forget about the spawn camping on top of it; the map is way too small; you know which direction the enemy is coming from. A little upgrade from COD

Back