[poll] Since I've been gone for a few days...

Kaminari666

Thought I would let everyone know why... it's SYSTEM UPGRADE TIME!!

OK well not everything, just the motherboard, processor, and RAM

Old System:
Opteron dual core 185 (2.6)
2gb OCZ DDR400
MSI Neo4 Platinum mobo

New System:
Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition (OC'd to 3.0ghz)
4gb Corsair Dominator 1066
DFI LP Dark Edition 790FX mobo

Carried over: 700w PSU, 74gb Raptor, 750gb SS, EVGA 8800GT

i voted the first option cause im horny and want you to tie me up and spank me a little sweet stuff...

I think you should have gone with Intel, but, oh well :p.

And now I've come to the inevitable conclusion that I need Vista 64, so it will probably be a couple of days before I can clean up the garbage after installing. *sigh*

I'll run benchmarks against you once I OC a bit (haven't done anything yet and it runs at 3.0 GHz). Have to flash the latest BIOS first (only most recent BIOS can handle the QX9650 OCed). I've got:

ASUS Striker II Formula nForce 780i SLI mobo
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 quad core processor (w/Aquagate liquid cooling)
2 GB Corsair Dominator Twin2X2048-8500C5D DDR2 1066MHz
Dual XFX nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX Extreme in SLI config
150 GB WD Raptor + 1 TB SATA-II RAID
Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro sound card

All in a CoolerMaster Cosmos S gaming tower case (with extra fans) and a 1000W PS.

I play with a LG 22" L226WTQ Flatron Wide with 2ms response, a Zboard keyboard with the 2142 insert, and a MS Habu mouse (which lets me configure a crouch-and-aim macro). I run Vista 32-bit.

I splurged for the setup and it improved my ability to play the game DRAMATICALLY.

And you should know that Fast was drinking tonight and will likely regret his comments in the morning (or not).

Try OCing to 3.2ghz - I've heard a lot of people getting that stable with the 9950.

The new Core I7 just came out though, and it completely pwnz0rz0rz everything... we're talking about 1.5 to twice faster on average over a similarly clocked q6600 / 9950...

It's pretty sexy, but also expensive as hell. Games are also not very multithreaded or CPU-limited at the moment at higher resolutions so it doesn't matter anyway imo so your 9950 should carry you forward at least a couple more years imo.

I'm thinking about a new mobo/proccy to replace a very similar system to yours actually (Opty 170 at 2.7ghz running on a DFI LanParty SLI-DR Expert with 2GB Mushkin Redline 1:1 OC'd)... I'll wait a bit more to see what the I7 will do as far as price goes and if it will have any effect on older parts...

I hope the 9950+mobo goes down to something like $250 or even below. That'd be pretty sweet.

Well... enjoy. I might actually follow suit with pretty much the exact same system in a couple of months :)

Let me know if you can do 3.2ghz stable and test your CPU(all cores - make 4 threads or "worker windows" or whatnot and make sure "round off checking" is on to report errors)/memory with this to make sure it's stable (make it run for at least an hour - best leave it overnight):
Windows 32bit: http://www.mersenne.org/ftp_root/gimps/p95v257.zip
Windows 64bit: http://www.mersenne.org/ftp_root/gimps/p64v257.zip

Screw Orthos that I posted somewhere else on the forums. It was a simple frontend to make Prime run on dual-cores. Not needed anymore as prime seems to have updated their GUI to support multicore CPUs.

i have almost the same setup as your ringurbell exept i have
my qx9650 oc to 3.5 ghz and i have a 9800 gx2
i and have 6 gigs or patriot viper pc8500 1066mhz
same case mobo processor and sound card as you though.
i got 2 150 raptors in raid and a 500 gb data drive extra fans also. and a 22 in viewsonic

o ya mine oces to like 4-4.2 stable but there is no need to run it that high so i put it at 3.5 ghz

Umm... the qx9650 is an intel processor. He got an AMD one - 9950 BE (black edition - unlocked multiplier)... ?!?

Hey Meat - you have any problem running the 9650 at standard 3 GHz? My ASUS mobo hated it - I was always getting BSOD until I lowered it to 2.8 Ghz. I had to wait until a BIOS update to get it to work at 3 GHz. It's one of the reasons I haven't OCed it yet. I've thought of putting in 2 more GB of Dominators but I read something that says it won't all be used unless I go to 64-bit Vista (could have been mistaken).

Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions (except for Fast, fuck you). Yeah I didn't get the BEST setup out there, but I wanted something that will at least last a couple of years, I'm sick of upgrading every year (or am I?). I haven't taken the OC up yet to 3.2 as I'm still working on Vista optimizing (read: turning shit off). Got it at 3.0 now with teeny voltage bump, stable 1 hour, 43c load with a Freezer 64 Pro/AS5. There will be further results though, I've heard good things about these DFI mobos! I would probably lose in benchmarking to comparable intel setups, but oh well I like what I like.

I have to admit I'm kind of an AMD fanboy too a little bit :p

I prefer Nvidia over ATI though...

Is "3.2" your rating by vista?

I had a 1 on my last computer. I sold it and got a new one.
Now its a 5! ????

[quote1226069188=RingUrBell]
Hey Meat - you have any problem running the 9650 at standard 3 GHz? My ASUS mobo hated it - I was always getting BSOD until I lowered it to 2.8 Ghz. I had to wait until a BIOS update to get it to work at 3 GHz. It's one of the reasons I haven't OCed it yet. I've thought of putting in 2 more GB of Dominators but I read something that says it won't all be used unless I go to 64-bit Vista (could have been mistaken).
[/quote1226069188]
no i havnt had any problem running it at stop clock. ring but i always havnt run it at stock clocks for months..
its been at 3.5ghz for like 6 months and im running vista 64 so all is well.

[quote1226069346=MEAT]
[quote1226069188=RingUrBell]
[/quote1226069188]
no i havnt had any problem running it at stop clock. ring but i always havnt run it at stock clocks for months..
its been at 3.5ghz for like 6 months and im running vista 64 so all is well.
and jeans i think 3.2 hes talking about is voltage.
right?
anyways my vista rating is 5.9 thats the max im pretty sure
[/quote1226069346]

Actually we were talking about overclocking to 3.2ghz. No voltage is way lower in this chip like 1.25v. I've got a 5.7 rating in Vista, and I'm pretty happy with that.

Back