Official GTX 470/480 circle-jerk thread

It's single GPU and those prices are NOT indicative of MSRP in my opinion.

There are ALWAYS shops like that that try to make headlines by listing unreleased cards at inflated prices, hoping people would flock and preorder blindly. At this inflated price, you're also paying for your right to have one of the first cards out - and availability may be a huge ongoing problem even for months (as we've previously seen with the 8800 GTX, 8800 GT, ATI 5870, ATI 5850).

For official official info, I'd wait for:
- Official Benchmarks (or at least semi-official from somewhere like en.expreview.com).
- Official announcement from nVidia about MSRP's - and you never know - street price might be lower on release. It's possible, if it's too expensive (like those prices seem), but unlikely.

All in all, the 8800 GTX was $560 at release, so I can definitely see the prices being close to what's posted.

If the performance is there, I don't see why not either.

GeForce GTX 400-series cards listed for sale
by Cyril Kowaliski — 9:17 AM on February 23, 2010
Nvidia only just broke the news that its next-gen GF100 graphics processor will officially launch on March 26, and already, premature retail listings have popped up on the web. Sabre PC is currently listing no fewer than three cards: two GeForce GTX 480 models from XFX and PNY alongside one PNY GeForce GTX 470.
The price tags are quite intimidating, perhaps as a result of the listings' pre-order status. Sabre PC charges $679.99 for both GTX 480 cards and $499.99 for the lone GTX 470. For reference, AMD's two fastest graphics cards, the Radeon HD 5870 and 5970, cost around $399.99 and $649.99, respectively. (The 5970 looks to be hard to come by, though.)
If Sabre PC's numbers reflect official Nvidia pricing, then the company might be expecting its highest-end single-GPU card to outrun the Radeon HD 5970, which is a dual-GPU offering.
Frustratingly, the e-tailer quotes very little in the way of specifications. Sabre PC claims the GTX 480 will have 2GB of GDDR5 RAM, while the GTX 470 will feature half that, and both models will have 512 stream processors enabled. Those SP numbers seem to contradict earlier reports that suggested Nvidia needs to disable SP clusters to produce workable GF100 GPUs, but we'll probably want to wait for more definite specifications before drawing any solid conclusions. (Thanks to SemiAccurate for the link.)

"Only 42 easy payments of 19.95! Call now, operators are standing by!"

"Only 42 easy payments of 19.95! Call now, operators are standing by!"

As an added bonus, you get not one, but two DVI-to-HDMI adapters, that's right - TWO adapters for no added price. But that's not all, you will also receive the nVidia driver disk COMPLETELY FREE OF CHARGE. Yes, you heard right - three additional items for no additional charge at all. Forget about those other (ATI) driver disks - the nVidia driver does your rendering faster, more efficiently, and with less effort than any other driver, while keeping those GSOD's at bay.

Offer is only goot if you call within the next 2 minutes. So call now - 1-800-FUCK-ATI, that's 1-800-3825-284, or 1-800-FUCK-ATI.

Oh my fucking balls.

It seems like the prices (at least at launch) will indeed be $500 for the GTX470 and $680 for the GTX480.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/few-geforce-gtx-470480-cards-at-launch/

These cards better be fucking GOOD to justify those prices.

I think this is going to be THE most expensive single-core card in the history of videocards (at launch anyway). Can anyone think of any card that's cost more than $680 at launch? Even back to the Voodoo days, I can't think of another example. Even the 8800GTX which was obscenely expensive, was like $630-650 I think at launch, which while close, is still less.

That's a good chunk of cash for a single-core card.

If anything, depending on performance (or lack thereof) this might actually make the ATI cards go UP in price...

Fermi Shipments till April and Pricing Reported
DigiTimes, citing sources from graphics card manufacturers, say that lack of complete reference board designs will keep second tier board makers from mass shipping Fermi based cards until April. The article also mentions pricing with the GTX 480 at $679.99 and GTX 470 at $499.99, which is in line with what we saw earlier this week.

The sources expect Nvidia will give supply priority to first-tier makers or makers that only produce Nvidia cards. Listings offering cards from XFX and PNY with GTX 480 models priced at around US$679.99 and GTX 470 at about US$499.99 were briefly available at some online retailers, but have since been taken down. PNY contacted Digitimes to stress that it is not offering pre-orders for Fermi cards at this time, which implies that the listings were the result of miscommunication in the company's channel.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100225PD202.html

According to Fudzilla and czechgamer.com, the 480 GTX will require at least a 600W PSU with 42A available on the 12vrail. Ouch! That's one power hungry beasty.

http://www.czechgamer.com/novinky/6113/GeForce-GTX-480-ceny-krabice-600W-zdroj.html

GeForce-GTX-480-ceny-krabice-600W-zdroj.html

Lol, "We’ve done more than just tack on DX11 to an existing architecture. GF100 represents almost five years of engineering development, and delivers a totally new innovative architecture that provides enormous strides"...so.....It's rebadged GTX 295?? That's what they did for 3 years with the 8800, 9800, GTS 250 lineage...

Lol, "We’ve done more than just tack on DX11 to an existing architecture. GF100 represents almost five years of engineering development, and delivers a totally new innovative architecture that provides enormous strides"...so.....It's rebadged GTX 295?? That's what they did for 3 years with the 8800, 9800, GTS 250 lineage...

It's a single GPU card (the GF480 and GF470 aka GF480 nerf), and the architecture is supposedly really quite a bit different from the GTX200b core or whatever it's called.

They'll surely rebadge the GTX275/285/250 etc. with "GF460/450/440" probably though... I'm kind of expecting it.

Wow, I looked at some kind of "leaked benchmarks" and it looks like the GTX 470 is SLOWER than the ATI HD 5870.

What a fucking disappointment if that is true. How are they hoping to sell that shit at $500? Fuck that.

http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?threadid=8040

It's uncertain/possibly illegal of course, because it's some Chinese guy who's basically breaking NDAs all over the place, if not made up, but usually benchmarks like this give you a general idea of what to expect.

Of course I'm still looking forward to proper reviews with some hope, but this is just not looking too great.

Yeah, I just saw this as well:
The benchmark figures are from two different sources, respected German publication Heise.de and Chiphell’s forum. Heise.de states that the card scores somewhere between a Radeon HD5850 and an HD5870 in 3DMark Vantage in X-mode, tested on an unspecified system. The GTX470 scores 7,511 points, while the HD5870 bests it with 8,730 points, while the HD5850 falls short by about 1,000 points at 6,430. However, when you switch to the default settings things take a slightly different turn of events with the GTX470 scoring 17,156 points compared to 17,303 for the HD5870 and a low(!) 14,300 for the HD5850.
Chiphell on the other hand offers a 3DMark 06 result, but the system is using a Core 2 Duo E8190 processor that operates at a fairly slow 2.66GHz and the system had only 2GB of RAM. Here we see a result of a mere 13,264 points, with a Shader Model 2.0 score of 5,699 and HDR/Shader Model 3.0 score of 7,569. Taking into account the CPU score of 2,486, we’d say that the card was CPU limited in this specific test.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/03/03/nvidia-results-analyzed/

Lots of unofficial benches here:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=117000

Looks incredibly sad. The GTX 470/480 both seem to perform about on par with a 5870. Perhaps the GTX 480 will be a bit faster. The ONLY situations where they begin to shine is heavy compute situations like tesselation and Physx.

But, let's get serious here. How many games actually use heavy tesselation? How about heavy physx? Dark Void? That's one. Just Cause 2 (heavy water compute nVidia exlusive)? That's two. Oh, there's Batman I suppose as well.

Not really worth it to purchase a card which is $150 or $230 more expensive, respectively, over a 5870 (add $50 for 5850), for a small increase in performance in 99% of games which people actually play, and an average increase in performance in a tech demo and 3 other games.

Fuck. This.

I don't think nVidia has had a worse launch for a "next-gen" GPU than this.

Late, hot, possibly loud, mediocre performing (for current games) GPUs. They're "future-proofing," but I'm afraid the compute capabilities of these cards are a bit premature.

I suppose I'll hope that nVidia decides to sell these card at a loss at $350 (for the GTX 470 model) to be able to compete with ATI... because that's the only price I'd consider buying one at.

Holy fuck, BUT only in the Unigine e-penismark, and only because there's heavy tesselation going on, which no current games use.

In games like Crysis and Stalker: COP, it's actually barely faster than a 5870, and in some situations it's even slower.

Another thing I have noticed is that the only benchmarks that make the fermi cards look great are when the resolution is at 2500x1600 with tons of AA and AF. The thing is, that resolution with all that eye candy will make the ATI cards stumble because they only have a 1gb frame buffer. So basically at NORMAL resolutions that most people use (like 1920x1080 and 1920x1200) the 5850/470 ad 5870/480 cards are probably going to be very similar in performance. But of course the marketing dept at Nvidia will fly the "revolutionary new tech" and "super pwnage PhysX" and "Cuda is god" flags around to drum up sales.

TL;DR
These cards won't be worth the dough.

Back