Official GTX 470/480 circle-jerk thread

Wonder whats the price on those babies will be, like arm and a leg?

Probably one of your balls too.

I'm expecting GTX 470 $400, and GTX 480 $500.

That's just a "gut feeling" though - I have no idea really.

yea $500 seems to low for what they are saying. im expecting more like a left nut and half the right nut.

gtx295 are like 530$ I think the will be at least 600 or more

GTX 295 is a "two-in-one" card though, and it doesn't necessarily set the price for new tech.

I remember when the 8800 GTX was still out for ~$450-500 and the 8800 GT came out for ~$200 and sales for the 8800 GTX dropped faster than soulzz' boxers at the sight of fast's erect penis...

qfe

HeatSurge said:
and ati looking to steal some thunder (it will be hard probably):

http://www.guru3d.com/news/ati-radeo...l-arrive-soon/

I think ATI will play be able to take some of nVidia's thunder because as far as I have seen, nVidia isn't really working on anything similar to Eyefinity, granted for me either way it doesn't matter because of the price point.

On a side note I just got another Acer 22" and my old one looks dingy :/ when viewing white or similar colors, both are running same color profile and contrast/brightness.

as far as I have seen, nVidia isn't really working on anything similar to Eyefinity, granted for me either way it doesn't matter because of the price point.

Are you kidding?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-3D-Surround,9394.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/..._Announces_3D_Vision_Surround_Technology.html

Not only are they going to make it work on new cards, but also on existing cards (with a driver update).

The only "problem" with it is that you have to have SLI for 3 monitors I think... and I don't know if 6 monitors will even be possible, but I'm not sure - we'll have to wait for the final implementation.

Nvidia won't go down easily as far as "me too" implementations imo.

I don't give a shit about multi-monitor setups right now anyway - not until they start making completely 100% perfectly bezelless monitors. Personally, I'd rather have one big monitor than 3 (or more) smaller ones right now... and that's what I have - a 37" Westy.

Toms hardware.. stopped reading that site long ago after they did false reviews.

It's a news report, not a review. I also posted another link with pretty much the same info.

So are you buying a Fermi based video card or are you going to buy the 5870 when it hopefully becomes cheaper?

I have no idea really at this point. I have a GTX260 c216 which is still alright for most games.

I'll wait and see price/performance on Fermi, as well as availability and make decisions then.

If the GTX 470 is ~$350 and delivers decidedly better performance than the 5850, I think I'll get one reasonably close to release. It would be too good to pass up.

I'm mostly interested in benchmarks for Stalker: Clear Sky, Stalker: Call Of Pripyat, Crysis, and Shattered Horizon. These are the only games which rape my GTX 260 c216 in the ass (unplayable at high/highest detail).

I saw this today on legitreviews.com

XFX Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 Video Card Available For Pre-Order Today!

It looks like the XFX NVIDIA GTX 480 is available for pre-order this morning at SabrePC for $679.99! The GeForce GTX 480 is listed as having 2GB of GDDR5 memory, but no other specifications are mentioned. This is the very first GF100 'Fermi' based video card that we have seen come up for pre-order. Could this mean that a launch is less than a month away? <center>
gtx480_preorder.jpg
</center>NVIDIA has released little pieces of information about GF100 on social networking sites the past few months and here is what we have been able to figure out so far

• GF100 is the codename for the first GeForce GPU based on the Fermi architecture!
  • GF in GF100 stands for Graphics Fermi not GeForce!
  • The GF100 board is 10.5-inches long -- the same length as GeForce GTX 200 Series graphics cards!
  • GF100 packs in over 3B (billion!) transistors!
  • The GF100 supports full hardware decode on the GPU for 3D Blu-Ray!
  • GF100 graphics cards will provide hardware support for GPU overvoltaging for extreme overclocking!
  • GF100 supports a brand new 32x anti-aliasing mode for ultra high-quality gaming!
  • GeForce GTX 480 and GeForce GTX 470 will be the names of the first two GPUs shipped based on our new GF100 chip

Neoseeker.com has this today as well:

GTX 470 & GTX 480 debuting at PAX East, late March
Kevin Spiess - Monday, February 22nd, 2010 | 11:11AM (PT)
According to Nvidia

As <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; color: darkgreen;" id="itxt_nobr_3_0">NVIDIA</nobr> promised, the company had a big announcement today, on their Twitter <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; color: darkgreen;" id="itxt_nobr_3_1">page</nobr>. As we guessed on Friday, the company is set to show the public their next-gen Fermi-powered gaming GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470 video cards at the end of March (the 26th).
What we did not guess was that the grand reveal will be taking place at PAX East -- a suitable event, seeing how their will be flocks of gamers about to oogle and fawn over the new release.
As was also mentioned in the story linked above, it looks like it will be at least a little bit though, before Fermi gets into stores in quantity. Nonetheless, at least now the long wait is over. Unfortunately for NVIDIA, ATI has been selling many DirectX 11 capable video cards over the last months, with their HD 5000 series, while Fermi has been pushed back -- even now to the point that the company will not have DirectX 11 capable parts for sale when Metro 2033 comes out mid-March, which NVIDIA helped optimize with DirectX 11 graphics.
As you can see in our Fermi Sneak Peak article, NVIDIA's new architecture has a lot of promise, and should offer some big numbers when it comes to game performance. Certainly many people all over the place are anxiously awaiting a chance to see Fermi in action, and at long last, this time is almost at hand. In addition to gamers, many visual software developers and other coders are looking forward to Fermi-powered video cards to do promising news things with NEXUS and CUDA.
Update: Changed "GTX 460" to "GTX 470" -- sorry, force of habit to blame on our part. Officially from NVIDIA's Twitter, the comapny has a GTX 470 coming, not a GTX 460.

Update 2: The GTX 470 and GTX 480 showed up the inventory of the website SabrePC. They were listed for $499.00 for the GTX 470, and $679.00 for the GTX 480. These prices sound about right, and could be the suggested retail prices for the new cards, but at this point this is unconfirmed.

I hope it's better then the 5870/5970 as it will force AMD to lower the prices on their graphics cards.

Shit, AMD's suggested retail price is $350.00 for the 5870. That's what it's been from day one. What you see now is supply and demand in action. They've had a low supply from day 1 on this release and a much larger demand than anticipated so the merchants are jacking up the prices. I bought mine the second day they were on sale an it was $369.00 shipping included.

On a side note, ATI has a bad track record, mainly starting with the 4800 series of anticipating demand for their cards. The same thing happened, but not nearly so badly or on such a large scale, with the 4800 release.

edit:

One last note, even in comparison to the reported prices of the upcoming cards, ATIs 5780 is a bargain.

They were listed for $499.00 for the GTX 470, and $679.00 for the GTX 480.
$500.00 for the 470 versus, right now, $400.00 for the 5780. (although we don't even know how the GTX series performs yet)

And is the 480 a single gpu or double gpu card? If it's a single gpu card I'd say get fucked, no way, if it's a double gpu it's high, but not unduly.

Back