No Commander in BF3 - Confirmed

meh it won't alter the gameplay much not having a commander. But really Battlefield roots is based on a commander. And it promotes teamplay, you know spot the enemy, arty this for me, I need a UAV, send me supply crate etc...

meh it won't alter the gameplay much not having a commander. But really Battlefield roots is based on a commander. And it promotes teamplay, you know spot the enemy, arty this for me, I need a UAV, send me supply crate etc...

i agreee

Everybody here made some good valid arguments.

The commander function is a great feature, which only should have been altered for BF3, not axed! Specifically remove the "enemy units spotted" audio and chat spam with just a blip on the mini-map. I cannot imagine attacking/defending Karkand for example - without a commander. I am solely referring to squad/team play when teams are even, skill wise.

The reason commanders are not so effective anymore - is because lots and lots of good BF2 players left the game 1 or 2 years ago. Hacking/Spoofing and BC2 drove the final nail. With the exodus of good players - team play was replaced by nade spamming/vehicle whoring, and a general selfish attitude - making commanding unappealing, to veterans and new players, alike. Why spend a whole round commanding, when no one follows your orders, defends the flags or kills the people flanking - for a lousy 20 or 30 points.
Even so - like Lex said, commanders are still largely responsible for the outcome of a game. 99% of the time you can still easily predict which side will win the game - just by comparing the ranks of the two opposing commanders.

Almost everybody I speak with, tells me the same thing: "I get bored of BC2 after 5 or 6 rounds, yet I can play BF2 the whole day." Like Soulzz said, the depth of strategy is what makes people want to play just "one more round", or play the same map (Karkand I/O only ) over and over again for years.

The omission of the commander is clearly a step in the wrong direction - I can only hope that BF3 will have other redeeming qualities.

And it promotes teamplay, you know spot the enemy, arty this for me, I need a UAV, send me supply crate etc.

None of which is going to happen without a commander. I agree with Mega-no commander is a step-10 steps in the wrong direction.

I can see what you're saying Mega and your probably right there isn't much team play in BF2 anymore and I am just as guilt of that as the next guy.

I guess I have become jaded because now a days it always seems like the players that take command are either idiots that do nothing or they just use the command assets to support themselves but your right if the players aren't going to squad up and follow orders then then there really isn't any incentive for the experienced good players to take command.

Back