No Commander in BF3 - Confirmed

Soulzz

Founder
Retired Founder
Source: Battlefield 3 won’t include Commander feature - Battlefield 3

Going through our latest issue of GameInformer, the question of Commander came up (the Commander feature was available on Battlefield 2, and gave a player command over his team). Here’s what we found in GameInformer:
Q: When I think about Battlefield 2, I always come back to the Commander position and the game within the game that arose from having Special Forces objectives. Are those returning in the proper sequel?
A: We could implement it, but the questions is “how do you get the threshold lower?” That’s not by making it more complicated. Our challenge is to make sure that anyone that just jumps into the game will get it. One of the biggest problems with Commander was that only two people could use it. Some people like it but most people didn’t care. They just cared that someone gave them an order or that their squad could play together having fun on their own more or less. Then the most hardcore people went into the Commander mode and learned how to use that. You could argue it was a great feature, but looking at the number you could also say that no one uses it. We tried in Bad Company 2 to give that t players, so you could issue orders to your squad, and you could use gadgets like the UAV that only the commander could use earlier — giving the power back to the players so everyone could use it. That made a big difference. More people could enjoy the game. We lowered the threshold for everyone because we gave it to everyone. We now know the boundaries are for keeping the strategic depth and complexity while lowering the threshold to get in.
The argument that only two players could be commander (each on his team) is valid, but that was the whole point: a commander would lead his team. The notion that the UAV in Bad Company 2 was more accessible is nonsense — there was only one UAV in Bad Company 2. So only one player could use it, as opposed to two commanders in BF2.
If you ask us, this is a textbook example of “dumbing things down”, what DICE calls “make the threshold lower” and we can’t help but feel disappointed that the Commander feature isn’t returning to Battlefield 3. It added a whole new level to the gameplay, and the team with a good commander had a clear advantage.

Yea, but BC2 is suppose to be different then BF3. So much for that!

nor have i missed it in 1942, vietnam and i haven't missed it's use in bf2 or 2142

nor have i missed it in 1942, vietnam and i haven't missed it's use in bf2 or 2142

Well I think you missed out bud, The commander can be one of the best asset available to the team. He increase the situational awareness of the team in relation to the battlefield. Re-routing squads away from enemy armor, and kill zones, guiding special ops, and sniper teams meticulously through unsuspecting enemies, marking targets for aircraft etc. He can network communication between squads, task organize different squads to attack or defend certain points. Organization is one of piece of the puzzle that can spell the difference between victory and defeat. Im sure I don't have to mention the assets, minimal as they be, they still serve as very valuable resource to the team.

how do you not miss this? I am unclear of something?

I hear you soulzz I think that dice is making a fucking mistake by not providing the commander function in BF3, yet they are striving for a more "realistic and grity" feel??? Hello? Contradiction anyone? we all have seen what total gaggle fuck BC2 was, and how organized and awesome BF2 still is.

Another thing that really rubbed my the wrong way was the comment Bach made about "there must be a counter for everything". Sure it makes common sense, but I have a feeling that BF3 will follow the bullshit mentality of "everybody wins" like we saw in BC2, where DICE coddled the player by making the lethal capabilities of the basic player the same. They "lowered the skill threshold" in order to make the combat environment more conducive to players who posses even the most mediocre reaction times and aiming abilities. The is no significant advantage to being a good player, tanker, or pilot, but only a slight upper hand based on prior expeirence and knowing the basics. Any fucking noob with a sniper rifle, machine gun or RPG and lay you out without any lengthy learning curve or significant play time. The BC2 player deviation at play hour 1 across the board is pretty even, your "Skill factor" doesn't enhance your ability to kill the other dude faster or more effectively than it really should. In BF2 for example, the combat environment was extremely unforgiving to the inexperienced or new player. The new player was forced to learn how to survive, learn weapon characteristics, vehicle handling etc and learn in a trial by fire environment and had to "work" to get kills, which usually resulted in high rates of death. Were as we compare that to BC2 and as I stated above any fuckstick with an M60 or Sniper rifle can ruin your birthday party at play hour number 1, no learning required, no experience necessary.

I could go on and on about vehicles especially Aircraft. but I think you get the point.

a well played commander is awesome don't get me wrong, but 99.93% of the time he is just a guy who wants to spam mortar strikes and camp in the base like a little ..... that sir i do not miss

Maybe it'd be better to do a Hardcore Mode or a server-side switch to active Commander Mode. While I enjoyed being able to use the UAV and mark distant targets etc, much of that was better left to the commander. Leading special forces and marking targets of interest was always interesting. One thing I'd do in BF2 was to find a couple decent players and get a special ops team to blind and then neuter the opposing commander and also to cause other diversions (like capturing behind the lines). I didn't play BF2 much but I have fond memories of being Commander.

Any word if FF on/off is an option? Please God don't make it an option.

Good news for Sid, he sucks at being commander anyways. Lulz

Commander is overrated anyway. As long as they don't do gay kill streak awards in lieu of commanders I don't have a problem with it.

I have mixed feelings about this, on one hand I agree with Dirty-Lex good commanders can be the best asset a team has. On the other hand I can see where z242pilot is coming from. I would say about 1/2 the time you get a decent commander but unfortunately the rest of the time is divided between having no commander or some ass hat that has no clue what he is doing or is too busy fighting and hording the assets for his personal use. I guess like the rest of you, I will have to wait until I play BF3 to decide if I the idea of not having a commander.

I have mixed feelings about this, on one hand I agree with Dirty-Lex good commanders can be the best asset a team has. On the other hand I can see where z242pilot is coming from. I would say about 1/2 the time you get a decent commander but unfortunately the rest of the time is divided between having no commander or some ass hat that has no clue what he is doing or is too busy fighting and hording the assets for his personal use. I guess like the rest of you, I will have to wait until I play BF3 to decide if I the idea of not having a commander.

But I think there is one thing we can all agree on, that this is a good thing for Sid. lmao

When I think about Battlefield 2, I always come back to the Commander position and the game within the game that arose from having Special Forces objectives. Are those returning in the proper sequel?
A: We could implement it, but the questions is “how do you get the threshold lower?” That’s not by making it more complicated. Our challenge is to make sure that anyone that just jumps into the game will get it.

Here's the part that pisses me off. I don't want just anybody to jump in this game-it's not a console piece of shit, I hope, so you won't or shouldn't "just get it" right away. Sure it should be fun but there should be a steep learning curve. I hate the console turd approach of path of least resistance. "Oh, if it's easy it's better for everybody" Bullshit. I like to keep it difficult to keep the complete idiots out of the game. Look at BC2-it's a clusterfuck of idiots most days like BF2 never was. If we're going for something better then why not stick with an approach that works?

If I wanted to play a game where I didn't have to think, but focus on playing, I would go for COD, or even BC2. Those two games are very much alike in the gameplay sense. They are both twitch shooters.

I like games where I can out-smart my enemy through tactics. BC2 has very little, of any of that.

Don't get me wrong I don't agree with their reasons for doing it but I don't really feel as though it will affect game play that much.

Well, if it was just the commander mode that was missing, I'd be fine with it. There isn't going to be a Commo-rose, only 4 classes, no word on amount of maps at release, etc.

The fact that they are withholding a lot of information is somewhat telling of what they are going to produce as a product. Are they holding it back because they want to generate hype, and know that the game won't be satisfactory? Or is it that damn good?

My take is definitely going to be that they are not that confident in their product. We'll see.

4 classes? I'm so glad they're not making this anything like BC2. It's nice to see them getting back to the original battlefield roots.

You play games???? When did that happen cause you could have fooled me. Oh what you meant to say is promote not play. And you only promote the shitty one like MOH. I am still salty about that 60$

I play many games, just not FPS at the moment. Sure, I don't have the greatest 'reputation' for recommending games, but that's going to change with time. I promote games that I think will be good for TBG. You may not like MOH, but many did, including myself at one point.

Back