New Laptop

balls2dawall

Honorary Member
After my last trip I'm now going to trash my current laptop: 17" HP, X900 vid card, and P4 processor. I'm so spoiled at home and cannot play games on the same level. So today I order all my parts and this should be an interesting build.

OCZ 17" DIY crossfire 3870 notebook shell $1200.00
4GB DDR3 1333 w/ $30 Rebate 50.00
2 x 320GB Seagate Momentus HD 160.00
QX9300 Intel Moble Processor 500.00
Windows Vista 32bit 180.00
I might upgrate the wireless card, but not sure yet
total cost ....................2090
This is the same laptop that Alieware M17 with same options sells for $3524; If I'm missing something don't be afarid to pipe up.

Not bad balls. That is one kick as mobile machine!

I am not worthy! I have built many desktops but never considered building a laptop. How good is the cooling on it going to be.

I was just going to talk about heat.
2x ATI cards = BURN!
You'll need the best cooling you can get.
I had a shitty HP and that thing got hot as fuck.
I had the cooling mat and a fan blowing on that bitch just to keep it from burning my hands.

Nice I need one like that for business trips. Not able to play when I am on the road

Make sure you use one of the good TIMs. AC5 is what I have. Shin Etsu preformed the best but cost the most per ml. Granted it was only by 0.2 degrees. I don't know if you have to do any cable management but putting 2hdds 2video cards, 4gbs of ram and a QX processor in a laptop will likely give you problems if you run near 100%. I'd runing a folding client on the GPUs and CPU to max the heat and see where you stand. (Google: F@H) Be sure to use Team #33 and Username Amazon3d when you fold :)

Its not a overclocker the BIOS is very limited; I can only change the multipler. THIS is the same as Alienware M17 without the upcharge on stupid shit that is standard....like the backlit keyboard that comes with the shell. I've been looking for a gaming laptop over the years.....years. All the reviews look really good on cooling. I've read some lack of driver support for the vid cards...imagine that ATi with bad driver support, thats new.

For 59 bucks? That's not too shabby, thanks for the link Six! :).

I bought my shell today with combo deal from newegg $80 off Vista U. 32bit; so just over 2 grand w/ free shipping and no tax on everything. So, if nothing works out I can use the 1500 that I saved on another laptop

When are you going to have this built? Are you doing it this week, or saving it for the weekend?

I'm doing it this weekend; Its sitting in my f'n office and I'm in Kansas.. I take back what ever I said about Kansas by the way. U of K is off the f'n chain..OMG so much tang around this place, I also went to a KC Royals -vs- Indians game last night; this area is crazy loaded with chicks. As for the laptop fuck it, I'm staying in KC for a while

('=(',true) haaaaaaaa I whant to go!!
can i can i Pleazzzzzzzzzz!!! ill take the fat one if u whant

[blockquote] ill take the fat one if u whant [/blockquote]

See that? That is teamwork people! He's always willing to take one for the team in game or face to face. Damn. You have got to love the Canadians!

PS-Tag a JayHawk for me too while you're there :)

buck likes the fat ones... hes not doing anything special for anybody! hes just calling dibs on what hes after anyways! sheesh - atleast i can see through his bullshit.

wtf is a jayhawk?

CJ,

That is just an ugly side of you I haven't seen before; very uncharitable to say the least. I'm thinking maybe CJ needs a hug. Repeat after me
"I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And gosh darn it, people like me!"

Just so you know, I'm here if you want to talk.

CJ, the Jayhawk os the mascot of University of Kansas. It's not real, unlike the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame! Well, if they've been drinking they fight...

Back