Looking for a job :-/

HeatSurge

So I'm graduating this week... and I'm looking for a job in the worst time possible.

I'm looking for any kind of accounting-related jobs, anywhere. Can also have some systems/CS elements... but has to do with accounting.

I'm constantly applying to jobs but it's pretty tough going right now, so if you know of anything/can recommend me personally so I can get an interview at least, please let me know.

Here's a link to my resume in DOC and PDF formats (they're identical): http://heatsurge.info/resume/

I have an accounting degree too. Didn't do me any good. I work for a printing company which has nothing to do with my degree.

are you good with helping people with filing taxes heatsurge? There are firms out there that does it for you, instead of the person doing it themselves. Also banks would work too. But you'll have to wait and see if this "recession/recovery" disease becomes obsolete soon.

Heat you seriously should check out the Air Force. I was in for 10 years and made Tech Sgt. The admin jobs are pretty sweet, you can get into DFAS which works with accounting and payroll. My wife was in the Army for 10 years and she hated every minute of it, not bashing the Army, but their MOS positions as in admin are very simular, so either Army or Air Force all the way bro.

I hate taxes, so I really don't want to do that. As far as banks go, I'm applying to whatever I can find, but nobody's called yet...

As far as the Air Force - it's a very interesting idea. However, from the AF website:

-------

I am a non-U.S. citizen. Can I join?

Enlistment into the U.S. Air Force by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigrations and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551, commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 27; meet the mental, moral and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently.

Note: The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally residing in the United States may an application for enlistment be accepted. Furthermore, in order to be commissioned an officer in the U.S. Air Force, one must be a native-born or naturalized United States citizen.

---------

BTW In case you didn't know (I assume you didn't) sadly I'm not a US Citizen. As far as I'm concerned, I'd give up citizenship to my country of birth (Bulgaria) instantly in favor of US Citizenship, but the path to immigration is long and annoying as hell.

I'm planning on doing it through a job. The most common other ways are through marriage, or through a random lottery at http://dvlottery.state.gov (which I apply for every year but no luck so far).

In short, I don't think I can work govt./military jobs...

It sucks, because I would possibly like to...

Oh by the way - I'm 27 too, so it's just not going to happen - not enough time.

I'll be a civilian for the rest of my life... for better or worse.

Well you could always try goin to work for Texaco or something. Greedy oil tycoons always need accountants.

I got a buddy here thats a pilot and he's from Romania. I'll ask him what he had to do to get in/accepted.

Seriously though, we had a girl in our flight who was a German citizen, she was visiting with her father who was a US citizen when she turned 18, she was here on a visa with a passport, she didnt even speak english, she went into a recruiting center, joined the Air Force and worked on her US citizenship while she was in the Air Force. I dont know how she done it, but she did. Everything has changed though since 9/11 and I dont really know everything personally about citizenship now.

However, I heard that if you live in another country where a US military base exhists, you can apply for citizenship at the base or post. Now that was back in the early 90's when I was active duty, things could be different now.

There are actually bases in Bulgaria. I'll talk to a recruitment officer tomorrow and see if there are any options at all...

We had a number of foreign nationals join when I was in the Marines. You just need to have a green card (which I assume you do). I agree that the Air Force would be a good option, and a degree means you would be an officer (i.e., less headaches with most work being done by your NCO's, who ARE the backbone of the military). It is something to strongly consider in this economy and a job in a uniform beats no job anyday. Good Luck!

Heat this is actually the best time for you to find a job. cost cutting and efficiency are currently the name of the game.(Especially cyclical businesses with physical inventory.) A good controller is next to impossible to find.
Just a resume isn't good enough. Create a simple pro-active cost-cutting strategy with your new found knowledge as an example of what you do and how you think to go with it. It will seperate you from the crowd and most likely get someone fired. If you come with a plan to solve pain you win. And they will most likely work around the I-9 issue if you sell it right - it's business.

Umm... nobody's going to hire me as a controller right out of college. That's like a 100k+ job usually, and requires 10+ years of solid experience in most job ads.

As far as making a cost cutting plan... it's got to be customized for a specific firm - and usually they have lots of people who do it internally... so that's pretty impossible for me right now IMO.

I'm just looking for an entry-level accounting clerk position to get me started / some experience etc. I will need to go back to school for another year in the future too but I have to save up some $$$...

BTW I talked to a recruiter today, and basically I'm fucked because I can only join until I'm 27 (so I have 8 months left which is not going to happen because I can't get citizenship that fast even if I get married or something).

So anyway... the AF is not going to happen at all.

However, there are still the Navy, Marines and Army. They have higher cutoff ages and things I can do as well... but I still need to be a citizen for most cases, which is probably not going to happen soon at all.

Anyway, for future reference - in case I am in a position someday to enlist - what do you guys think about the army/navy/marines? Which would you go for... IDK what the difference might be.

Heatsurge don't sell yourself short. And throw the help wanted ads away. They suck. You are sending your resume to someone in HR who doesn't give a shit and wants to go home. They stock the resume folder for something to do.
Pick some places you might want to work and show up - get to the decision maker.
You come across as very intelligent and competitive.
And believe me this counts for everything. I have owned a bunch companies and employed hundreds people with all levels of education and experience. Just because a guy has an MBA and 20 years of experience doesn't mean he can make it to work everyday.
For the record I don't even have a college degree. But, because I was persistent and aggressive was able to get a job at Morgan Stanley to start my finance career.
Sorry I'm starting to ramble.
I'm not saying to try and get a job as a controller at a major company full of bean counters, but at a smaller business - one that might not even have the position.
The accounting degree (congrats btw) makes you over qualified already you won't use 1/2 of it.
Small businesses are currently in the process of getting their teeth whacked in. Most will not proactively seek help and fail.
As for the plan - it doesn't need to be specific - just a sample or some ideas. Something that makes you more than a sheet of paper, and shows that you might make a difference if hired. Nobody else does that.
Anyway, just trying to help. My advice applies to all you younger guys, it is an extremely brutal environment out there, and it is going to get worse. You need to play hard.

[quote1250151614=HeatSurge]
Anyway, for future reference - in case I am in a position someday to enlist - what do you guys think about the army/navy/marines? Which would you go for... IDK what the difference might be.
[/quote1250151614]

Well if The AF isn't an option then the closest thing to AF would be the Navy even though they're gay and have sex with other men and are slow and their planes suck and their boats are the easiest damn target in the world. (in case you didn't know there's a AF/Navy rivalry)

Army is tactically advantaged; massive personnel numbers, massive equipment numbers and years of proven combat experience

Marines. Blow. Shit. Up. Thats it.

As far as a financial officer would go I would say either Navy or Army. Marines are a bit underfunded and I don't even know if they have finance officers.

LMAO... well I'll keep that in mind for the future.

As far as Arturo's advice - thanks, I think there's some good advice there, although I'm looking for something more stable/secure right now, but thx.

Back