How many wants a left 4 dead 2 demo server?

Game will be out at 10pm Monday (today) mountain time. Valve has confirmed this (here: http://www.l4d.com/blog/). Since we're not using the old server (wolf) and official valve servers will be completely overloaded, and I would like to play on release, I'd like to install a server there (or even two - one campaign, one versus).

I'll talk to fast or soulzz more about this tomorrow... re: access to tcadmin and .cfg files and so forth...

Let me know how the game is. If it's good and we'll have a server for it then I'll get it.

There's a demo out squirrel, and it should be pretty much the same as the demo...

Go on steam and search for left 4 dead 2 demo...

im installing it on the box right now. They said it will automatically transfer to full version.

64.34.213.182 : 27015 Check to see if server is up.

2 servers installed. If you have preference with the server ask heatsurge about it.

He is configuring the server settings etc..

Um...

K, the demo servers should be up and running and associated with the steam group. I can't really check if they're working because I don't have the demo installed anymore.

Full game will be unlocking in 4 hours from now anyway.

I will update the dedicated servers from "demo" to "full game" hopefully right away at 10pm. There might be a delay, because I assume steam will be assraped for an hour or so (happens around big releases) so depending on our luck, the servers might actually not update to "full" for some time.

I'll be on vent for sure, so ask me if you have any questions.

INSTRUCTIONS AS TO HOW TO GET ON THE SERVERS (when everything is up):

OK, this is assuming everything is the same as L4D. L4D2 is not out yet, so I can't test if this works, but it should. If it doesn't, I'll try to update the instructions.

Basically what you do is:
Option 1: Connect to the TBG servers straight from the steam group. Assuming that you're in the TBG Steam group (if you're not, search for it and join it - it's public), they should be showing right on the main menu or wherever they put the "steam group servers." This is easiest, but also lamest, because once everyone is in you have to restart the campaign - it's a "direct connect" without lobby.

Option 2:
1 - Enable "developer console" somewhere in options. I think it's in "keyboard" options oddly enough in L4D. It should be somewhere in options in L4D2 too.
2 - Open the console and, as lobby leader paste this in your console and press enter:
mm_dedicated_force_servers 64.34.213.182:27015
OR
mm_dedicated_force_servers 64.34.213.183:27015

We have two servers up right now, both can run whatever gamemode is forced on them from the lobby.

After one of the two above is pasted in console, as a lobby leader when you press "start game" or whatever, the corresponding TBG server will be found and used first (if it's not full).

There's a way to automate that command so it's executed every time you launch left 4 dead 2 (with autoexec.cfg) so you don't have to type it every time. Ask me how if you want to.

Easiest for tonight will probably be to go straight in the server and invite with the friend list, then restart the campaign once everyone is in (assuming campaign mode). For versus, you pretty much have to do the command.

Let me know if you have Qs.

P.S. BTW the servers are set right now to only be steam group exclusive, which means that no pub games will go on them. Once you start a game from a "public" lobby, pubs can still join in-game though, if someone (rage) quits. I'm not sure if pubs can join if you go straight to the server from the "steam group" interface in-game, because I never connect that way - I always connect with the mm_force command using a lobby.

P.P.S. It might be possible to only enter one command instead of two for the left4dead2 servers (in which case it uses the first (leftmost) non-full server). Theoretically it should look like this:

mm_dedicated_force_servers 64.34.213.182:27015,64.34.213.183:27015

HOWEVER, I have not tested the above command with multiple IPs, and I'm not sure if it will actually work...

If you happen to want to kick people (admin kick, not kickvote), it's kind of complicated, so let me know.

Basically you type an rcon password, and then you type another kick command, after you acquire the "id" of the person by typing "status" in the console...

Long post but worth the read, thanks Heat!

Game is still not unlocked, and 35 minutes past due.

Forums don't respond (probably due to mass rape with posts "WHERE IS MY GAME").

Nothing on the store page.

Nothing on the l4d official blog.

At this point, I know about as much as you do - nothing.

Will keep everyone posted.

It's not 8 min to go, it's 56 minutes overdue.

It was supposed to be out at 11am central time.

Well, if it's not out in 5 minutes and no announcements, I'll just go play some killing floor... if it's not out after another hour, I think I might go to bed...

From the forums (highly speculative, so unsure if it's true, but it sounds plausible):

From the L4D2 Chatroom

mikeblas: We've found a crashing bug at the last moment.
mikeblas: We think it's fixed, but aren't sure, and are testing.
mikeblas: We'll release the game when we're sure we have a fix.

dedicated servers are updating with some kind of release version right now (and updating pretty fast too), should be up in a few minutes... now if the game would come out that'd be nice.

i read that post on steam a few different places too. i think im going to bed. rest up for zombies tomorrow.

btw I'll be on the tEc vent tonight if someone wants to talk to me:
vent4.gameservers.com

Back