Flight Sims - What did you play?

MacN8r

Ban Manager
Admin
I have found that my flying in 2142 is, well to put it bluntly- pathetic. This is mostly in the GS. Maybe it is advanced age or lack of practice (I tend to leave the GS to skilled folks). I can fly in the transport and carry folks around and be happy.

Being older, I have seen many games throughout the years. I even remember playing the first F15 game for the Commodore and original Gunship! I really enjoyed Gunship, Longbow, SWOTL, Pacific Air War, even X-Wing. I used to consider myself a decent pilot on those, but have little chance on 2142. What did you fly before or did you just jump in the Doragon and begin kicking butt? Discuss amongst yourselves...

I LOVED Swotl in its time. It was like... win.

I also played Tie Fighter / X-Wing which were AWESOME (for their time again).

I loved descent: freespace. The original descent was good too. Descent II was good as well. Descent III - meh... too much sequel = bad. They need to make a remake tho. It could be a cool franchise in the right hands.

Actually WAY back I used to play a 360k (fit on a single 5.25'' disk) game called "LHX attack chooper, or just LHX." It was awesome for its time... I had lots of fun blowing up tanks and saving people from crash sites lol... in the very earliest, crappiest, 4-color CGA polygon graphics possible. But it was the best, for its time again.

I messed with F-16, Mig-29 (microprose I think or something). I actually used to play missions with my friend over modem. I also played "IL-2 sturmovik" which was quite fun, but a little too much realism for me. I messed with microsoft flight simulator but was also equally a bit bored with the realism... fun for a bit, but not too much action for me lol.

That's about it as far as I can think of right now as far as "flight simulators" go. Well, nevermind... I did play a couple of recent "arcade" ones. One of them was quite fun. I'll go home and post the names I don't remember them right away lmfao... but they were very fun... although not very realistic.

Then again, BF2142 isn't very realistic either though :-D.

I'd say if you wanted to really experience realism (and relatively cool graphics too), go get either MS Flight Simulator, X-Plane, or IL-2 Sturmovik...

As far as 2142 goes though, it's all practice. Trust me, I really sucked when I first got in the gunship. I used to crash all the time and shit...

If you want to make progress as far as control though, I'd suggest you fire up single player on Suez and just get in the gunship and just fuck around. That way you don't have to fear for your stats lol, or feel bad for fucking your team up by wasting gunships in-game.

I made my progress in-game, but if I were to do it again, I'd start off in SP and refine in-game...

Just practice and keep at it.

Not really a flight sim, but the closest thing to one that I've played -- ARMA 1. That game was pretty sweet. Seems to be the only all-around mix of a realism/sim game.

Swotl was aweseom, I was hooked on the x-wing tiefigher series for awhile too, other than than, cant for the life of me rember what the name was but was a game that came with two cds one for each chopper, and you, did all the missions and what not, it was cool, cant rember what the name was tho; other than that I liked bf1942, and the DC mod for it, not really a flight sim but was a lot of fun.

Oh yeah, these two are the ones I played recently (recently = 2 years ago lol):
Heroes Of The Pacific - http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/heroes_of_the_pacific/index.html

Wings Of War - http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/wingsofwar/index.html

Both are arcade-style shoot'em'up's, not very realistic. In Wings Of War you jump between planes (like you see the pilot jump between planes in-flight LOL).

To be honest, Heroes Of The Pacific felt like meeeeh, but it was still fun enough to finish. VERY arcade though.

Wings Of War I enjoyed quite a bit - perhaps because I love Biplanes and Prop airplane sims better than jet sims anyway... and it was done quite well IMO. It was a VERY fun little game (for me). It's no IL-2 Sturmovik by any means, but if you're looking for something lightweight and arcade you'll have plenty of good fun with it :-D

Oh recently I also tried Ubisoft's Blazing Angels (and Blazing Angels 2 which is basically the same engine).

The engine is VERY pretty, graphics are amazing, but the gameplay is fucking shit. They took arcade dumbassness to a new level I'm afraid with those two games. They're really made for console controllers, so the PC version is a port (albeit a good one). HOWEVER, because they're made for consoles, there is no real "rudder" and "aileron" control... they made some dumbshit decision to make "turn left" and "turn right" controls instead (so it's easier to control on consoles without a joystick, but with a joypad I assume), so turning left and right is really some stupid combination of rudder, aileron, and elevator... it's difficult to explain but it feels like shit and is NOT made to be played with a joystick. In fact, it's MUCH more comfortable to play with a gamepad because of their control scheme... so yeah - I'd say don't even bother with Blazing Angels, even with the nice graphics.

Download the demo to see how much the controls blow exactly if you don't trust me... lol.

Wow what a question, where to begin.

My entire life has been filled with flight simulators, and the reason I play battlefield is because It has an integrated battlefield.

but here is a short list for you:

(SNES)
Wings
Jungle Strike 1-3
Desert Strike
F-15 strike Eagle
Turn and Burn: No Fly Zone
Areo Fighters
Pilot Wings

N64 + PlayStation I:
Warhawk
Areo Fighters: Assault
Rogue Squadron
PilotWings 64
Star Fox 64
Thunder Strike

PS2 + XBOX + Gamecube
All of the Ace combat series games (there are 6 of them)
Army Men: Air War
Rogue Squadron
Rogue Leader
the Flight aspects of GTA SA: ( they are very detailed, unlike popular belief, but they are basic compared to others)

PC:

Helicopters + Space

Comanche Gold
Comanche Silver
Team Apache
Longbow II
Nuclear Strike
Barrage
X-wing alliance
Descent II
Fury 3

Fixed Wing (Military)

Fighter Squadron
Janes F-15
Janes IAF
Janes 97'
MiG-29 Fulcrum
Lock on 2
Microsoft Combat Simulator

Fixed Wing (Civilian)
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000

I think I might be leaving a few out lol, because I just can't remember the ones that I didn't Play alot,

Mac: my Greatest advice for you to purchase or download the following games if you want to become good at flying because they will teach you EVERYTHING, you need to know:

Entry Level:

Pilot Wings SNES (Basic Flight training)
Wings SNES (Strafing and Bombing)
Turn and Burn: No Fly Zone SNES (Dogfight and situation Awareness)
Fury 3 (PC) ( introductory Target Acquisition and mass target information management
Descent II (PC) (situational awareness and corrective maneuvering, and quick thinking)
Rogue leader or squadron ( evasive maneuvers and situational awareness

Training Level:

Pilot wings 64 (aerobatics and introductory NOE)
Starfox 64 (more of an arcade, but the "all range mode sections will teach you a lot" lol.....all range mode...

All the ACE combats **
Aero fighters assault **

** these two are by far the most important games you can play to learn the information aspects of flying, as well as practical dogfights, don't be afraid to challenge yourself and play on hard. Both of these games, Aero fighters more than Ace will load your brain up with all kinds of targets, fligh control information etc etc that will test your technical grip while putting you in combat.

Certification Level: (you have earned the title and rank of "Pilot")

X-wing alliance: (complete, 6 axis dog fighting, and flight system management )
75% gold medals on Pilot wings 64
Comanche Silver + Gold(helicopter weapon systems and standoff attack)

Advanced Level: ( you know shit in and out)
**Jane's F-15 (Precision and stand off attack)
**(helpful to have prior military Knowledge or study f-15 systems on wiki or read the game manual lol):

MIG-29 Fulcrum (Precision and stand off attack, familiarization of Russian systems)

Fighter Squadron: ( Visual Flight Rules, very little to no instruments, on Hard mode, and pratical examination of flight controls)

Longbow II (Precision and Standoff attack of helicopter combat, masking etc.)

Team Apache (novice settings) (Technical Attributes to CAS, close air support)

Mastery Level ( if you can complete a mission by the books you can fly in RL, or have Already conducted or are a Pilot)

1. Team Apache:( Expert settings: # 1 rated combat realism sim for the AH-64A prior to 2001 )

2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000, or X.

- Hope this helps, my doors always open for questions :D

I was a hell of a pilot on Longbow Gold and 2. I will have to try Heat Surge's advice too and practice on single player Suez. I really want to be able to do my part in the game. I miss SWOTL also, I was so proud when I got the Diamonds to my Iron Cross!

I don't remember too much from SWOTL actually (it's been more than 10 years)... but I remember there was a great feeling when parts started falling off fighters as you were shooting them lol... or the bombers (shooting down / being in the turrets) - those were cool too.

I remember when they came out with add-ons for the game: P-80, Dornier Arrow, He-162, and I think the P-38. Bought 'em all. I loved watching pieces fall of the enemy also. It was always fun to destroy targets of opportunity on the way home too. Funnny part was upping my system to a whopping 4 MB of ram when I thought the 2 mb was not enough and using boot disks to load into DOS instead of Windows. Good times...

Back