Building a Drift car.

Frit0z

Ok before you start saying shit let me just say that i got into this before Fast and Furious movies. i have some buddies that were drifting in japan and brought back the sport to me. I currently dont drift or anything because i dont have a car to do it in i was always a little pressed for money until the past couple years. so i bought a car a couple months ago finally. took me for ever to find one that met my specifications. its a 1991 Nissan 240sx Fastback. Currently sitting stock with a ka24de engine and auto tranny. Im pulling the engine out to rebuild it just so i can get use to the car a bit while i save my money for the real engine. Now im not a gearhead by far so if you have any constructive criticism im all ears.

The engine im putting in is an LS2 Corvette engine. sits stock at 400hp. The reason im going with this is because i like the sound and feel of a V8 engine. I was originally going to go with an SR20DET Redtop which is the JDM engine that came in the Nissan Sylvias(japans 240sx) its a really nice engine and can put out all the horsepower i need for drifting with just a few modifications. Those modifications would cost me about 7500 total for the engine and leave me about 100hp short of the stock LS2. However the LS2 is going to run me about $10,000 for the whole swap and thats doing it myself. but include everything from engine to drivetrain.

As far as other mods im doing a 5 lug conversion, Racing brake kit, 6 or 8 point rollcage, some nice racing seats not sure which yet, and some other stuff that i cant think of right now. ill be doing most of the body in carbon fiber after all the engine mods are done, function before looks in my world. i hate seeing cars with a huge wing and some minor exhaust mods. so you increased your maxima from 190hp to 205hp. gotta have that 3ft tall wing to keep you on the road.... (saw someone today that fit these specs)

anyway ill post some pictures of the build as it goes. if anyone has any ideas for paintjobs or anything let me know as right now im kinda clueless to what its gonna looks like in the end i just know how it will perform. i do want to tie in gaming a little bit, i was tossing around the idea of having True Born Gaming on the hood but paint is at least 18 months to 24 months away

top video is an ls2 240sx drift vid
Bottom is a vid of some guys that tossed an ls2 into a 240sx fastback and pitted it against a 240sx with turbo and nos(prolly running a ka24 or sr20)
<object height="385" width="480">

<object height="385" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lCXAJedbtbI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zXhiskCDCmc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

Attachments

• P1010583.jpg
    P1010583.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 201
Whatever you Fast and the Furious fucking wannabe homo.......lol

Sounds pretty wild, good luck.

If you going with the LS2 you will obviously need all the added electronics to run it, I'm assuming thats the added cost involved.
If your looking for 400hp or more and are going to mod the car to fit a v8 then i would suggest a less costly build involving a 350 chevy v8 that could produce 400-500 hp much easier on the install and the pocket without a doubt.
Also the 350 parts are plentiful and cheap
Cost probably in the Range of 3000 dollars total, maybe less i would have to price it out.
500 hp chevy V8 aluminum heads fuel injected roller cam roller rockers Stroker motor
is then considered a 383ci.
I have been a state certified mechanic since 1987.
I have done many custom engine swaps, If you have any questions let me know.
The most difficult problem will be the Custom length driveshaft

yea but i actually found some people that have bashed their heads into a wall in putting one of these in a 240sx. they have a complete kit that includes everything from motor mounts to a modified crossmember, low profile headers, and modified drive shaft

See, It is just easier to make someone build the car, and just drive, than building it yourself. =P I got no input on this cause I'm not truly smart with cars, but I can run them. Good luck man =)

Going to need a very good suspension to keep roll to a minimum. Look at others, but check out Hotchkis. I really recommend calling them or emailing them and let them know what your doing. A friend of mine in Florida did this for his VW Jetta for SCCA racing. They really helped him out by making a package for what he wanted in a price range he could afford.

Going to need a very good suspension to keep roll to a minimum. Look at others, but check out Hotchkis. I really recommend calling them or emailing them and let them know what your doing. A friend of mine in Florida did this for his VW Jetta for SCCA racing. They really helped him out by making a package for what he wanted in a price range he could afford.

yea i might just do that. ive been looking at some suspension packages and for a decent one im looking at $2000-$3000. which is well worth it to me. i plan to toss an easy $40,000 into this over about 5-7 years.

What the hell... I think his front tires lifted off the road :-O .

Back