Building a Computer

Vengeance0058

So, I've actually been thinking about building my own computer for a couple years.
The biggest thing keeping me back is money.

Its seems to me people here know alot about this stuff, and can build these computers at far cheaper than I ever thought was possible.

So, I'd like some advice. Where can you get parts for these dirt cheap prices?
And also, some advice on what I need, and what sort of things I should look up.

And if anyone has spare parts they are willing to donate, I'd be incredibly grateful.
Even sell if its really cheap.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

Well, I get the last shipment of my PC parts today, so I might have a few spares. As a matter of fact, you might be able to build your entire PC from others spare parts. It would save you quite a bit.

As far as online stores go, Newegg is very good. I've never had an issue with them.

What is your budget?

So tiny of a budget I'm not likely going to be afford to purchase more than one part right now. )=
Like $200.

So, I'd like some advice. Where can you get parts for these dirt cheap prices?

newegg.com

www.amazon.com

www.zipzoomfly.com

www.tigerdirect.com

www.microcenter.com

And also, some advice on what I need, and what sort of things I should look up.

You'll need all the basics if you don't have them already like:

A case, Power supply, memory, CPU, video card, Hard Drive, monitor, keyboard, mouse.

A lot of the things I listed can be gotten very cheaply as long as you know where to look and do comparison shopping.

Let me take a look at home, to make sure I've got all the parts, but I've got an NZXT zero case just lying around. Pay for shipping and it's yours, but let me make sure I've got all the thumbscrews and fans first.

newegg.com

www.amazon.com

www.zipzoomfly.com

www.tigerdirect.com

www.microcenter.com

You'll need all the basics if you don't have them already like:

A case, Power supply, memory, CPU, video card, Hard Drive, monitor, keyboard, mouse.

A lot of the things I listed can be gotten very cheaply as long as you know where to look and do comparison shopping.

Out of those, I got a Monitor, or I will my parents finish with the ancient computer they are using to search their floppy disks. Yes, I said floppy disks. Keyboard, got it, mouse, got that.

So, I would need-

Case
Power Supply
Memory
CPU
Video Card
Hard Drive

I'm not looking to overclock or anything, so I don't think I need a cooling unit, right?

I do know some of the sites you listed, Newegg in particular.
Looking at the list, I either will need to win the lottery or found another way to obtain the parts, cause at most I might be able to afford a case and something else.

Setting a budjet & making some compromise on some items; shoot for a good MB, GPU, & CPU. Having these parts can keep your computer good for 2-3years. The other items can be upgraded relatively cheap. I know some people around here that put 1,000's into their computers & might have some things laying around.

Hard Drive space is not an incredible priority.
230 GB, like what my laptop has, works fine.

Its true, if you know anyone who has spare parts, or if you have spare parts, that would be really great (=

Looking at games today, its seems minimum processing power needed is like 3 GB, not sure about Graphic Power.

Whats the specs so of you guys have?
We all know my terribad specs. lol

You're going to be amazed at what can happen with $500 and a bunch of hard work. Rig can be sweet(wont look pretty)

Crap, I forgot. I've got an extra HD at home too, not large like 120gb, but it'll get you up and running for free. Let me check on that one too.

As it is, if I had two computers, I could leave the hard drive eating stuff to my 400 GB external drive.
The thing that really hurts me in space is music, and game recording, which right now I have 100 GB of footage. Had to move it to the external cause my laptop was nearly out of space. This computer would really be for gaming, not so much for word processing.

I've been converting since this morning, still not done lolz.

So if you have a spare, that would be really awesome Sixer (=

Looking at prices, it seems to me possibly the most expensive thing is going to be the video card?

Yeah, CPU and video card are usually the most expensive items.

You asked about specs-nothing too impressive but here's what I've got:
I-7 920 @4.0Ghz air cooled with Prolimatech Megahalems
6Gb DDR3 @1600mhz 7-7-7-20
Asus Rampage III Formula Motherboard
EVGA gtx 580
120gb G.Skill Phoenix Pro SSD
Acer 235HZ 120hz monitor
Cooler Master Haf 932 case.

Yeah, CPU and video card are usually the most expensive items.

You asked about specs-nothing too impressive but here's what I've got:
I-7 920 @4.0Ghz air cooled with Prolimatech Megahalems
6Gb DDR3 @1600mhz 7-7-7-20
Asus Rampage III Formula Motherboard
EVGA gtx 580
120gb G.Skill Phoenix Pro SSD
Acer 235HZ 120hz monitor
Cooler Master Haf 932 case.

Better specs than mine of course, Just trying to see specs so I have something to base on.

Here a few suggestions.

I was looking at upgrading my system with this MotherBoard (btw the integrated graphics on this board should be able to play 2142 fine in low detail xD).
Newegg.com - ASRock N68C-S UCC AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
I have the 2.5ghz version of this CPU and it runs BC2 fine.
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition Kuma 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core Desktop Processor AD785ZWCJ2BGH - Processors - Desktops
Although if you want to spend 40$ extra on a processor you should get this instead.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103679
As for graphics, like Soulz said a 5770 runs BC2 maxed out but if thats too pricey try the 5670s they should work fine from what I've seen on youtube. Here are the cheapest ones I could find.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102871
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127523R
Also you should be able to find a cheap PSU around this time of year. I picked up, for my little brother, a 50$ 430watt PSU for 15$.

With that CPU, MoBo, and one of those graphics cards you should be able to play BC2 Mid-High detail with no lag. A setup like that would be slightly better than my current system, which btw can play BC2 maxed out.

Vengeance, round up what you can from these good folks and then see where you are. I got some money coming in two weeks and I'll help fill in a blank or two in about that much time.

Also, remember, you're going to need an OS to run this system.

Now, it's time to learn some stuff... Visit this website and do reading. This guy writes some great manuals for the new and even the somewhat-experienced when it comes to computers. Best of all, they are free! ( http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html )

I strongly suggest you with the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion because it has basic information about hardware and software that very gamer should know. ( It is usually at this point where some uber-leet system-guru chimes in and explains how basic this all is and whatever... Well, ignore them! These manuals are PERFECT for beginners. )

Also, be sure to check out some of the other system guides on his site because he wrote ( and still writes ) all these manuals specifically for gamers. ( http://www.tweakguides.com/System.html )

Hope this gives you a good head start on getting some knowledge. I'll help ya with some parts and stuff in just about two weeks.

Back