Build a Survival Kit: Ideas

BOT#00001

So last week, Lex and I were talking about things we'd put in a survival kit. All the way down to specific makes/models of knives and such. I thought it might be interesting to see what other people would put in theirs.

So..what would you put in YOUR personal survival kit?

Off the top of my head I'd have:

VS-17 Panel
8345-00-174-6865__15177_std.jpg

Signal Mirror
0611.jpg

hand crank LED flashlight
eton-american-red-cross-hand-crank-led-flashlight-300x235.jpg

utility knife
1245_large.jpg

Firestarter kit
zippo-fire-starter.jpg

hatchet
TM-6013.jpg

fishing line/hooks
images

EPIRB
2774_2775.5%20Satellite.jpg

550 cord
parachute-cord.jpg

iodine tablets
406032Lrg.jpg

MREs(or something smaller)ewww
mre-contents-800.jpg

batteries

first-aid

Water

compass
9077_L.jpg

Duct tape

Signal Flare
item-11-signal-flares.jpg

Survival blanket
survival%20blanket.jpg

Waterproof Bag
military-army-surplus-wet-weather-bag-069fd.jpg

i switched the utility knife for a SOG Jungle Primitive in my kit, a humble knife has got no use once society collapses.

What happened to the combat machete or Bowie kinife?
In addition to water, a portable water filtering system or water purification tablets.
Don't forget the peanut butter. Sooner or later you'll want to wank one off and all animals love peanut butter. Slather some on the jewels and you're guaranteed a good time-for cheap.

No tooth brush, toilet paper or playboy's? I'm not liking this one bit.

What happened to the combat machete or Bowie kinife?
In addition to water, a portable water filtering system or water purification tablets.
Don't forget the peanut butter. Sooner or later you'll want to wank one off and all animals love peanut butter. Slather some on the jewels and you're guaranteed a good time-for cheap.

I'm thinking more something you can carry easily. While a bowie knife would be nice, I think having a knife and a hatchet make it redundant. Unless of course you were in the jungle. As far as the water purification goes, thats what the iodine tablets are. But yah a water purifying straw or somethin would be good.

No tooth brush, toilet paper or playboy's? I'm not liking this one bit.

Necessities to live, not creature comforts:p Every item in the kit should play a major role in your survival.

in that case, you could use a water container, a "soft" bottle perhaps...

Necessities to live, not creature comforts:p Every item in the kit should play a major role in your survival.

Don't forget trauma pads or bandages, and some tampons. Duct tape works well for bandages and tampons can be handy for gunshot wounds.

my survival kit:
midget hooker that will easily fit into any duffle bag, one bottle of water, one gun with 1 bullet, 2 pizza pockets, tomahawk and two cases of Canada's finest beer.

the gun and one bullet is for when the beer runs out..

Well, after being forced to be in said situation here is what I had/ have in my "GTFO" Bag.

if you have these items on hand ready to got a moments notice you can survive almost any time you need to get the fuck out.

$300 cash broken bills
Cobra Flash light w/ extra bats.
all weather road flares:
Medkit, with all the fixins'
1 roll of duct tape
2 pairs of woll socks
1 pair of Dress socks
1 extra pair of underwear
1 sewing kit
1 extra Aramid FR tee shirt
1 Watch cap
Mosquito head net
1 set of Hatch Operator gloves
Nail clipper
3x5 of mole skin
space blanket
whistle
12" mini-Kukri
small folding knife
Gerber multi-tool
1 large parafin wax candle
steel canteen cup
Fire starter (swedish fire steel)
50 waterproof matches
15 cotton balls soaked in Vaseline (those fuckers burn for 10 minutes!)
Albacore extra large empty tuna can
small mirror.
=
1 MRE bag with the following:
4 ziplock bags med.
3 large clear trash bags
5 tubes of peanut butter
2 chicken w/ noodle
3 crackers
1 hot sauce
=

Approx 8pints of water
100 Iodine tablets (best thing EVER)
1 old school army poncho
4 feet of Aluminum foil
25' of 550 parachute cord
2 red chem lights
2 green chem lights
1 IR chem light
Signal mirror
Tooth brush.

Garmin Etrax 550 w/ extra Bats.
Head lamp

For self defense:
10x12ga Shotgun shells
1 rat trap (used together as a jerry rigged clarmore)

2 extra loaded mags for my .45.

and it all fits in this bitch:

CBK.509-2T.jpg

LMAO, was that a set of baby monitors?...cat. 1..cat. 2...

emergency position-indicating radio beacons

Sets off a signal that goes straight to all emergency personnel in the area and gives them your grid coordinates. They're your last ditch, "oh shit I have no way of getting out of here" plan.

gtfo? who packs those? are you serious?

yeah dude, I have one in my car that I can grab if I have to in a pinch.

They contain everything you could need to survive for quite a while.

You really wouldn't need one if you live in a city or somewhere that is really built up,

They really are useful on long road trips or off road excursions. if your car takes a shit on you and you have no cell phone service, what are you going to do if are 20-30+ miles away from the nearest human being or frequently traveled road?

like in the Canadian bush, Arizona desert or LA for example lol.

I got stuck in the middle of no where @ 3AM in the winter coming back on leave and every car I waved down, drove right passed.

yeah dude, I have one in my car that I can grab if I have to in a pinch.

They contain everything you could need to survive for quite a while.

You really wouldn't need one if you live in a city or somewhere that is really built up,

They really are useful on long road trips or off road excursions. if your car takes a shit on you and you have no cell phone service, what are you going to do if are 20-30+ miles away from the nearest human being or frequently traveled road?

like in the Canadian bush, Arizona desert or LA for example lol.

I got stuck in the middle of no where @ 3AM in the winter coming back on leave and every car I waved down, drove right passed.

I, for one, wanna make sure I have an emergency bag that is easy to carry for long distances. Get some dumb thing with a strap like a CLS bag, and youll be mother-fuckin that decision after youve been walking for 5 miles. Your ability to carry weight and distribute it over your body efficiently is important in survival situations.

One of those Camelbaks would be pretty sweet when loaded up...

-Crank-operated LED flashlight (perhaps combined with an AM/FM/weather radio)
-Gerber Gator-II combo axe (1.75 lb)
-Gerber multi-tool
-Emergency rations: 12 1200 kcal bars (8 lb)
-Beef jerky (2 lb)
-The largest Camelbak (not always filled full)
-Space blanket & casualty blanket (one of each)
-Thermal shirt & pants, extra t-shirt, sweatshirt & sweatpants
-2 bandage rolls, pack of gauze, medical tape, scissors, duct tape, electrical tape
-Toque & bomber hat
-Heavy-duty mittens & artificial wool socks
-Fleece scarf
-2 bandanas
-High-capacity lighter & spare disposable lighter (in a sealed package)
-3 unlubricated condoms
-Braided parachute cord lanyard
-Small revolver pistol; 3 sets of ammo
-12 gauge shotgun
-Fishing line (for utility use), fishing net (for actual fishing & carrying gear)
-Small cooking set, funnel, sieve, & hobo knife set (folding knife, fork, spoon)
-Pocket mirror, compass, wristwatch
-Medium package of petroleum jelly, cotton balls
-Water purification tablets

As a survival kit idea, I'd see about a sealable package with extra supplies. The type of thing that can be dropped off and possibly retrieved later. That'd optimally have fresh clothes, more food and ammo, and additional consumables (another lighter, more petro jelly, more tape, and an additional tool set, and another wrist watch). I'd also want to pack a couple survival guides that at least inform me about the dangers and some ways to combat them. I already know a lot out of nuclear war survival guides (especially shelter-making) but I'd want to learn how to make a Geiger counter and various other things.

Back