Asbestos

Misiek

In my school they just recently discovered asbestos. It is all over the engineering area of the school, in most of the classrooms. I'm literally there everyday for hours on end either working on machines or in class. They started ripping the shit out of the roof with tools one day during school hours. I mean it got to the point where the hallway was filled with this heavy hard to breath mist. Almost felt like walking through a thick fog. Bottom line is I have been feeling fuckin sick ever since I had walked through the damn hallway last week. Today on my way to class they just covered it up with plastic tubing held together by duct tape (The tubing is along the hallway going outside to open air where we walk to get to class. Not to mention while waiting for class to start I inspected the tubing and there were a few leaks I was able to spot.). And they JUST now put up a warning asbestos sign. Can I sue these fucks back to the stone age. I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow. Any advice on what to do?

See how you are when see the doctor. Then see an attorney as soon as possible.

That is pretty fucked up. Go to a Dr, then go to a lawyer.
Depending on where you live in this world, there should never have been any exposure to you. The work should have been done during off hours. At that point they should have quarantined all areas where work was being done, so as to not expose unprotected people during regular hours.
They did some work on the building next to where I live. It was like ET. Everything was quarantined, yellow plastic everywhere. The workers were in Hazmat suits, and there was also several on site showers for the workers during, and after all work was done. Neighbors, (us) were all contacted ahead of time, and told of exactly what was going on. Procedures, and steps taken to ensure our safety.
Also, each floor that work was being done on, they put up all the occupants of that floor in a hotel for two days, and 2 nights.
Unless you're in Somalia, I'd say they fucked up huge. Take me out for a drink when you get the million dollar settlement, K?

Not doing that here. The workers are wearing those little white painting masks for protection, thats it. Everytime you go down to that part of the school you can feel the air get heavier in your lungs. All scratchy and shit.

I tried talking to the people working there about it and they denied there being any asbestos (even though there is a little sign there now telling us about asbestos in the area). I also went to the main office and was directed to the Director of Human Resources and the Administrative Assistant. All of which denied there being any asbestos, and again they deny it yet they put up signs warning about asbestos. What the fuck is going on at my school. Some damned conspiracy?

EDIT: Forgot to mention the the construction guys just walk around the school covered in debris and shit with their masks on as if nothing was going on.

This school is shit. Imma sue, get my money, and switch schools.

There should have been a completely sealed off area with plastic sheeting and sealed entry and ventilation fans. They did it at the school I work at years ago. There are shitloads of regulations concerning removal or working on this stuff. Ours was on pipes and ceilings.

yeah it should of been sealed off. If anyone gets affected by it or were careless, i would smell a definite lawsuit. They should know better.

They did seal it off over the weekend because today it is sealed but for 1 week it was hell down there.

yep yep you can definitely get a good lawsuit over this. around where i live theres an old insane asylum that has alot of asbestos in it, they had a huge and i mean HUGE hazmat team with military people and everything just to do an inspection of the place. its going to be demolished soon. im sure CTFalcon knows what im talking about hes from my area.

Even if you do not have any medical conditions, you are entitled to a settlement just because you were exposed to it regardless of fault. I would seriously get a good asshole attorney who is money hungry.

Space_Ace I'm out on a hunt to find an attorney who is ready to T-Bag any fucks in the way of my settlement.

LOL and you should. That stuff aint nuthin to play around with. When you hit 50 or 60 years old, it might catch up to you.

Don't worry. I have already contacted a family friend, who is a lawyer. I will see what he can do. However I will be looking for lawyers specialized in this field of lawsuits first thing tomorrow.... after class lol....

I'm not sure what the law in New Jersey is for notification prior to asbestos abatement but we generally receive written notification at least 20 days prior. Also the area of work in question has signs posted warning that abatement will begin at least 20 days prior. I deal with asbestos abatement of a day to day basis due to the fact that a lot of the buildings I perform wiring in are more then 50 years old. Before I can wire a building I have to get our Environmental Department involved to see if the are of work contains asbestos. So something definitely sounds shady here. We also aren't allowed to be in the removal area during the abatement process.

Here is some further reading on the subject:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/dshw/rrtp/asbestos.htm

Make sure that you take some photos of the conditions and workers with their inadequate masks. A little photo evidence never hurt a lawsuit. Also, we have a letter we and all students receive each year about asbestos, eventhough it was supposedly removed at least 6 years ago.

Thanks for all the help guys. I got a few videos however known of them are of the workers (only because I haven't seen them today). I will try posting them onto youtube and then post them to here.

Alright so I brought my HD camera to school to take pictures of the worksite. I took it out and started snapping some shots. I showed some major leaks in the tubing and some small areas that were not covered up properly. Then I hit the jackpot. I got a picture of 5 guys walking out through the entrance to the work site and the inside. It was bad. You couldn't see more than a few feet in front of you due to the thickness of the "fog" in there. The guys walked out of there in everyday clothes with not even masks on. Nothing is sealed. The door is just plastic hanging from a nail with an asbestos sign on it. I turned around and started taking a video of one of the tubes that was voilently shaking from all the wind going through it. I hit the jackpot and right there and than security got me. I wasn't doing anything against the rules or in an offlimits area. He brought me to the office, took my camera, and told me to wait. I left and now I'm here (probably looking for me). They are going to delete the fucking pictures.

Pocket the card or pass it off to a friend. They cannot confiscate it from you.

I just had a little talk with a room of security guys telling me I'm not allowed to take pictures on campus, which is bullshit. It actually wasn't bad because they just gave me my shit back but they did delete the pics. All I have now is video I took on my phone. Doesn't matter. Should have enough. I'll post when I get home later tonight.

Back