Worldwide Absurd Deaths

sixer9682

Perfect Score
A ten-pin bowler collapsed and died after recording his first perfect score at the game. Don Doane, 62, belonged to the same Michigan bowling team for 45 years and finally managed to rack up the maximum 300. As he was high-fiving his teammates, he collapsed on the floor with a heart attack and died.
Irish Independent, 1 Nov 2008.
Just goes to show God has a sense of humor

Till Death do us part
A couple in Idleb, northwest Syria, died on the same day after living together for more than 70 years. The husband, who was 95, died just hours after his 90-year-old wife had passed away. They left 66 grandchildren and great grandchildren. [RIA Novosti] 15 Jan 2008. (Need a Grim Reaper Emoticon here)

Dying to be left Alone
Francis Tovey, 81, who lived alone on the Australian Gold Coast, killed himself by building a complex "suicide machine" from plans on the Internet and then programming it to shoot him. The machine was reported to have involved a jigsaw power tool and was connected to a .22 semi-automatic pistol that could fire multiple shots. Mr Tovey, who was born in England, set it up in his drive and then sat in front of it. He was looking for a way out after coming under pressure from relatives to move out of his ?450,000 house and into an old people's home. (London) Eve. Standard, 19 Mar; D. Telegraph, 21 Mar 2008

Girl dies after kissing boyfriend's peanut butter smeared lips
Christine Desforges, 15, passed out after kissing her boyfriend, who had eaten a peanut butter sandwich some nine hours earlier. The Canadian teenager, from Saguenay, about 155 miles (250km) north of Quebec City, was given an adrenaline shot, a standard treatment for anaphylactic shock, almost immediately after she suffered a reaction, but doctors couldn't revive her and she died a few days later in hospital. Her 16-year-old boyfriend was unaware of her peanut allergy. Symptoms of the allergy can include hives, a drop in blood pressure and swelling of the face and throat that can block breathing. Around 100 people in the US die of food allergies every year, the majority from exposure to nuts.
BBC News, Times, 29 Nov 2005.

Hang em' high
The apparent suicide of a woman found hanged in a tree was ignored for hours because passersby thought she was a Hallowe'en decoration. The 42-year-old woman's body was suspended 15ft (5m) from the ground at the side of a busy road in Frederica, Delaware, on the night of 25 October. Neighbours noticed the body at breakfast time the next morning, but dismissed it as a holiday prank. "They thought it was a Hallowe 'en decoration," said Mayor William Glanden's wife, Fay. "It looked like something somebody would have rigged up." Police were called later in the day.[AP] NY Post, 28 Oct 2005.
This one is my favorite. 049

Famous Last Words
He was about to unload his haul of heavy pipes and started to loosen the safety straps, and a guy said, Better wait for the crane to do that. And the trucker said, ?Don?t worry. I?ve got it.? Then a 4-ton pipe rolled off the truck. Houston Chronicle. ;)

I think i heard about the halloween one... how graphic. Could you imagine seeing that and dismissing it... how numb we can be to gore and death... LOL but not funny - yet still...

The halloween one is an oddity for sure. Given the time of year, and perhaps the decoration set out I could see thinking it was part of a display. On the other hand, I would hope that at least one person would express some concern or at least question whether it was part of the display.
(corrected a typo)

Back