windows 7

Nothing really major - most people say it's basically the same as vista, but they've worked on it getting started faster and also taking less resources.

There's also some kinda GUI changes, but whatever... it's windows.

The only feature that I found really big potential for is the "snap to 50%" of the screen when you drag a window to the left or right of the screen. It should be a nice (and long overdue) change from having to open windows and right click on the taskbar and "tile windows vertically" all the time.

As far as gaming goes, there's DX11 which seems to be a superset of DX10, with probably the most "impressive" feature seemingly being tesselation... which most likely isn't going to give the end-user any benefit.

Altogether, it might actually finally push me over XP. I've been more than happy to ignore vista since it came out.

I don't know exactly. I glanced over an article today and if I understood correctly, it seems like it will provide a means for developers to use DirectX tesselation instead of doing "level of detail" meshes as they do right now... so it should be easier and faster(?) to get models in the final product. If I understand, graphics cards don't do any form of tesselation right now. They mentioned ATI has some experimental proprietary tesselation on their GPUs that nobody uses... but this should standardize it and enable better hardware support.

I think this is what I was reading, or at least it was very similar... http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2008/09/17/directx-11-a-look-at-what-s-coming/1

Just in case anyone wanted to know,

The beta drivers from Nvidia for Windows 7 is not very good. I did install the current 181.22 and they seem to work pretty good. Ran 3dmark vantage and was able to get same results as vista.

nice - glad someone got the results for me.
still gotta do the 3DMark for my pc... vista nvidia setup.

The nforce drivers do not work in windows 7. Well it didn't for me. the 590 sli amd chipset. My computer froze.

I hope they optimize Windows 7 for SSD's. I will most likely be getting one in a year or so.

What is there to be optimized for SSDs? You just plug them in and they rip... All optimization is going to be hardware- and firmware- side imo. Otherwise, it's just a standard sata connector + power...

Well, I finally loaded up Win7 and I like it a lot better than XP so far. I haven't installed 2142 or tried gaming yet, but so far I lke what I see.

Cool. let us know if you install 2142 on it. I have a small HD. I partition it 3 times so Windows 7 is only on a small amount of space. I was able to install Farcry 2 with only 3 gigs of room left. Farcry 2 runs pretty good but keeps telling me to install SP1......The game thinking it's loaded on Vsta.........lol

What oboout drivers ???? i dont think youll be able to get all your hardwere to to run good vedeo card and specially sound card.. let me know how it works out six

I was able to use the current 181.22 2 Geforce driver. Logitech drivers works too. I am using my on board sound max and seems to work fine. The Nforce drivers did not work. My computer froze.

I've already got the ATI drivers installed-actually, Win7 found and loaded them for me. The same for audio. I haven't listened to anything extensively, but so far no problems. Also, it found and loaded my DeathAddder drivers as well. The only thing I need to take care of is a driver for my Logitech key board. It was almost Mac-like in finding and installing, or in this case asking me if I wanted to install the drivers it found. Very smooth.

Back