windows 10?

BlitZ003

I keep getting asked on 8.1 to upgrade I know its free but Id like to wait till final release. does anyone know if the free upgrade is gonna be 64 bit or 32? has anyone even tried it yet? or plan to once its released?

I reserve my copy for windows 10. It came as a pop up for me. I'll try it out. I imagine it's 64 bit.

What you are seeing is teh thing to reserve your copy for release day. All Owners of 7/8 will get 10 for free. That Offer lasts its first year. There is one exception, but I doubt anyone is using a enterprise version.

hopefully the video card drivers etc are good at release. I think they will be. I will update my PC to the release version before GA(general availability) and test it. I have a Microsoft developer account.

Its going to be the last release of Windows. After that only updates and service packs presumably. It always seems like every other version of Windows has been good.

Personally I'm not too keen on being a first adopter. At work they forced us to roll out Server 2012 R2 and that caused us a lot of problems with the new SMB features on Netapp and Riverbed Steelhead appliances. I like to wait for the first service pack generally but it seems like Microsoft isn't releasing those as frequently.

I'll probably wait a few months for any dust to settle. I'm not super happy about the very non-technical members of my family getting this advertisement. I have a feeling they're going to upgrade themselves and its going to be a mess. Maybe not but we'll see.

I keep getting asked on 8.1 to upgrade I know its free but Id like to wait till final release. does anyone know if the free upgrade is gonna be 64 bit or 32? has anyone even tried it yet? or plan to once its released?
The free upgrade can be either 64 or 32, but IDK why anyone would actually use the 32 anymore. I'm getting it once it's released.

The free upgrade can be either 64 or 32, but IDK why anyone would actually use the 32 anymore. I'm getting it once it's released.

Still appropriate for devices under 4GB of ram which makes up the majority of x86 tablets at the moment. 64bit requires more ram usage period regardless of the operating system. I was hoping Intel would come out with a base SoC of 4GB DDR3 and 64GB eMMC but they didn't with cherry trail. Maybe next year.

@STI..... R2 is the update to 2012 RTM. Basically like 8 to 8.1. They say no more service packs and it will just be through the continuous windows update.

@STI..... R2 is the update to 2012 RTM. Basically like 8 to 8.1. They say no more service packs and it will just be through the continuous windows update.

Yeah I know the difference. That wasn't the point. Maybe I worded it poorly. We were mostly a 2008 R2 shop. Management said make the new domain controllers at remote sites 2012 R2 with little or no testing. The new features that broke a lot of stuff were introduced in 2012. However we skipped that version and went straight to 2012 R2 for the most part.

Actually another aggravating thing I was working on today was the application level DHCP failover they also added. Why did they make it automatically replicate scopes and leases but not reservations FFS? If you want it to automatically replicate reservations you have to run a powershell script as a scheduled task.

Actually my real point to the OP is. Other than DirectX 12 there is no real reason to upgrade on day one for a gamer. Yes there are release candidates you can get now and do some initial testing but personally I like to let the dust settle on any OS release so Microsoft can work out the bugs and release fixes rather than wait for them to fix it. I do think DirectX 12 will be a pretty big deal though but who knows how long game developers will take to release patches to support it or when the new games will be there. I think I can wait a few months.

So does this mean I shouldn't use my Windows 3.1 any more?

I understand that when you upgrade to windows 10 you surrender your windows 7 Key.
I don't think I like this.

I understand that when you upgrade to windows 10 you surrender your windows 7 Key.

I haven't read anything about that, do you have a source for that? Preferably a link. I haven't seen that mentioned, even in the small print but if you have a reliable source bust it out!

**********************************************************************************************************************
The closest thing I found, although not conclusive, is the answer to the question that asks:
"Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?"

They don't say you can go back to Win 7 (since it wasn't in the question), but they also don't say you can't. I don't have experience with system restores and much less with different OS, but I wonder if a system restore would work to go back...I've never done one with different OS versions, so I don't know.

Last edited:
I know where I read this, but can't seem to find it, it was under Windows 10 Learn more.
This is what actually stopped me from proceeding.
I was reading more about a rollback is offered in windows 10, so you can get back to Windows 7 from 10.
I wouldn't trust that.
Learning more about this before I make the leap.

Back