Win 10 Help!

MacN8r

Ban Manager
Admin
My exchange student (who uses Win 10 on his rig at home) decided that the older system he is using in his bedroom here (my son's old rig) needed Win 10 on it. I had told him earlier that I had not upgraded because: 1) not sure if Win 10 was totally stable yet; 2) the Win 7 rig he had in his room could run it; 3) I had heard of issues in which things that had worked would stop working when Win 10 installed.

He ran it last night without my knowledge and, boom, mouse and keyboard do not work. Tried different ports, etc. Plugged in keyboard to get through bios, then unplugged. Waited for Windows to start - then plugged in keyboard to do password. Nothing.

Any suggestions that I have not tried before I go and put WinXP in to get it back to some semblance of working? My son got his Win 7 through school and does not have the key or disk. I do have the XP that was originally on it. I am not in the mood to drop $99 for a copy of Win 7 or 8.1 this week.

I cannot roll back the system to Win 7 if I cannot get the keyboard to work.

you could try to remote desktop to it from another one of your computers. but if the security is not set up right (firewall, user rights, etc..) it may not work.

I sincerely doubt that it is. The computer sat idle for a year and a half after he built his new one. It wasn't even plugged in.

There's a rollback option - not sure if you can access it without mouse and keyboard. Remote Desktop is probably your best bet IF you already have a homegroup set up. Otherwise there's some remote KVM software that might help: http://www.aka.ms/mm

2/10. Would not host again.

Nope, can't roll back due to mouse and keyboard. The computer was not on the homegroup after he built the new one since he lives at his own place.

Can't get past the win 10 password log in screen due to no keyboard enabled.

I mean seriously, what the fucking hell is going on here? Windows failing to detect mouse and keyboard? Does the BIOS detect them at all? There might be a smartarse setting somewhere in there that he's tweaked without knowing it. Fairly sure I did that once.

Bios detected them. They work fine until windows starts. I have tried multiple keyboards. I even tried on of the old ones with a PS2 connector.

Can I get into safe mode without a mouse and keyboard working?

Update bios? Hm.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back