What the F***!!!

CrazyH12345

So... What is THE most f'ed up thing to happen to everyone on here? Let me start with my story on the way back today from visiting my girlfriend who is at college...

Driving at about 70mph (120kph) on a highway I heard a "pop"-like sound come from my car's front-end... I listen with interest to the sound for awhile and decide to err on the side of caution, pulling off to a side road to check the car: nothing amiss...

I decide to remain on the side of caution and travel in the cities off of the highway and maintain a lower speed and try to not exacerbate any possible issues until I can get the car in my garage to look at it (I was about 60 miles from home.)

I then stopped at the GF's parent's house to drop some stuff off and have a coffee. After a bit of chit-chat, I leave and am on my merry way... The sound persists.

I drive on side roads as much as I can, but invariably I have to hit the highway to get home and am in the left-most lane passing someone when all of a sudden I hear a loud "THUNK!" and I see my front-driver wheel going past my car at about 120kph (my foot, obviously, came off the accelerator)... I do a rapid look around the car to see no one is within 100 meters of me (this is a miracle at 4pm... Rush hour) and pull a hail mary pass off to the far-right shoulder of the road, aiming for the guard rail. My thought was that if I am going to hit something (God only knew how my car would react missing a tire...), it was going to be the thing that would have some give to it (I couldn't find any Gunship thieves to hit)...

Luckily my car stopped maybe 5ft from the rail, safely on the outside of the shoulder line. I called the Provincial Police (their jurisdiction) and explained the story to them. I never thought I would have a dispatcher say, "sorry, what just happened?"

I guess, in hindsight it's not that funny, but damn... Picture your OWN wheel driving faster than you.

- CrazyH (Lucky to be in one piece!)

Problem started on the 17 by Petawawa/Braeside/Arnprior/Renfrew, then came to a head on the 417 from North Bay to Ottawa

So how the hell would the weel come off?!? Were the bolts not tightened or something? WTF?

[quote1225773849=Homeless]
hmm lets see....i almost died this one time
[/quote1225773849]
This one time at band camp!?!?!?!

i saw a tire roll across the front of my car once... i was stopped at an intersection and it rolled the red light. i was turning left towards where the tire came from. there was a pick-up truck about a mile down the road.

kinda scarry

[quote1225782127=HeatSurge]
So how the hell would the weel come off?!? Were the bolts not tightened or something? WTF?
[/quote1225782127]

That is quie a reasonable question.... ALL five bolts came off at the same time. I tightened them with an impact wrench after tightening them with a torque wrench by hand.

All that we can guess happened is someone played a bad trick on Hallowe'en.

Well once I had a bad slice of pizza and had a stomach ache for about an hour.

<silence>

What - are you kidding? I've just about died at least five times in my life from car wrecks, bar fights, rugby games ... hell once I was playing softball and dove over the catcher to reach home. Landed on my neck and couldn't get up for a bit. Thought I was paralyzed. Was even almost in a plane crash (electrical system failed in flight but it started again before uncontrolled flight into terrain). Never had a tire come off though.

You ain't living hard enough if you don't almost kill yourself from time to time. Of course, you ain't living if you do!

Saw someone die in front of me at the pool I used to work at.

Dude that shit sucks. I had it happen to me when I was driving an modified dirt track race car side ways in a turn. LOL. The wall I hit didnt give any. Ring you need some of my special pizza sauce. Just ask Killa. Glad to hear your allright though bro. Peace out.

Back