vista users

its kind a turd. the reviews are right (as always). it will load random players.

I told roth to turn his UAC (The devil of Vista, User Account Control) and it works flawlessly now. Honestly, why did Microsoft include such a shitty security protection system that actually makes it run worse without it then with it???? lol...

yea, im in good shape now. the fps are lower than they were on xp but it runs great off 4gb or ram.

UAC is useless.It's only good for total newbies to computers. 4gigs is what I have in mine and thats all I need now. 4gigs will never be fully used unless your using photoshop. I have that much just so theres no excuse for a slow down.

so much for buying the secon 4gb package. 8gb sounds like a bit much.

about the lower fps soulz, somehow my sli got disabled during a driver upaate. i went from 50fps in 2142 back up to 80 or so. thats closer to where the same pc was on XP pro 32bit, that was 100 fps.

Hmm.. have you tried to re-enable it? You might also double check to make sure the SLI bridge connector is properly installed. If the drivers you have aren't working for you try reverting back to another set or go to the beta drivers.

i think its all good now. i need to read more about nvidia settings (bios and graphics card).

BF2142 runs fine under Vista, just be sure to run it in Administrator mode (do properties on your shortcut and click the "Run as Administrator" checkbox on) or it will not run at all.

If you have more than 3gb of RAM, there is a "3gb game enabler" patch to get 2142 and any other games you have to run without crashing from being executed in high memory.

I suspect Windows 7 is just Vista polished a bit more, so the same probably applies for W7... to run BF2142 you need to edit its shortcut properties and checkbox "Run as Administrator". You don't need to turn off UAC. In fact, I have UAC on as well as DEP for programs turned on and it works fine. You may get the dialog box when you double click it asking you to allw it to run, just say yes and it cranks right up without a hitch.

UAC is truly a retarded feature imo.

Many programming hours were probably wasted so that your operating system could ultimately annoy you to the end of the earth.

I guess it might be "good" for people who have no idea WTF they're doing, but I personally, after the first 5 minutes with it on, was wondering whether it will start showing windows saying "You moved the mouse 40 pixels to the right! This could result in cursor movement and result in clicks which can lead to application execution. Are you really sure you want to move your mouse cursor?"

FFS... the only useful thing about it was that it could be completely turned off.

I turned uac and other useless things off right away like the time side bar.

Back