Virus Problem

Dorb

Somehow Jill was online and managed to get a virus on my computer. I run it unprotected because I'm broke. Any way to get a free virus scanner program?

In addition it won't let me open any files or programs other than EI

AVG is a nice free Virus Scanner. I've had it years and never got a virus :)

easiest way is to try running in safe mode and using the recovery tool to backup to a previous date. if theres still issues your going to need to boot to safemode with networking and download either avg or go to housecall.trendmicro.com and run their free virus scan. ive never used avg so i cant vouch for it, however i use trendmicro all the time and it works wonders.

I downloaded the fre trial of AVG
hope it works

Dorb run avg in safe mode; download the program from another computer to a usb stick; I think AVG also has a dos base scanner tool...not sure

never even seen what safe mode looks like but will do, thanks

I downloaded the fre trial of AVG
hope it works

make sure that it isn't the free trial for 30 days only. you'd want to get the free AVG 2011. Make sure its free and it's not the trial version. The trial version does nothing for you.

Dorb run avg in safe mode; download the program from another computer to a usb stick; I think AVG also has a dos base scanner tool...not sure

Yeah it has a command line scanner which is DOS based. I had to run that before, although it can take a lot longer to do that scan. It took me about 4 hours lol.

Whats a good website to get that free AVG? and I'm doing the malware too

Housecall Trend micro online scan only a plugin to install

In the future, you should try using a sandboxed browser. They isolate the browser so it cant install viruses on your machine from shady websites.

The website is Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing

You can also try Deep Freeze which you can torrent which sandboxes your entire OS. Basically you can only install things/save things when you "unfreeze" it. A companion program allows you to specify certain folders to keep unforzen like your my documents folder for instance.

Back