The most awesome antispam plugin EVARRRR!

RainMotorsports

Leadership
Leadership
We run a plugin now that blocks bots from registering without having to run any sort of captcha. Though up until now I had not actually disabled the stock captcha. On vBulletin we ran a very nice plugin that made you solve a puzzle and for 99% of registrations it worked, but a couple times a month we had people who couldn't register. But it also stopped 99.9% of spam registrations.

In our first 12 hours of being on Xenforo we have 13 pages worth of bots blocked. How it works is automated bots like to fill out forms completely. This plugin creates fake fields the user can't see but the bots can. The bots fill out any of these randomly generated fields and BAM trapped in the honey pot.

Both the plugin and Xenforo check against known databases. Other things like register time will trap the registration such as this one:
Hidden Fields Modifed, Registration Too Fast, FoolBotHoneyPot: Detected As A Bot - Registration Blocked
Yesterday at 4:29 PM
generated_by_username_attempt: mersdrieple
generated_by_email_attempt: jackvalorendon85@aol.co.uk
IP Address: 5.248.85.110:51599
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/17.0 Firefox/17.0
Time Taken To Register: 2 (seconds)
Basic Proxy Detection: Possibly Forged IP Address, ReverseDNSIP (5-248-85-110-broadband.kyivstar.net) != ipAddress (5.248.85.110)
JavaScript Enabled: FALSE
Browser Plugins Detected: None

Most actually take a minute to fill out the form but instead get caught filling out hidden fields, or alot of these both that and were found on stop spam:
Hidden Fields Modifed, Found on StopBotters, FoolBotHoneyPot: Detected As A Bot - Registration Blocked
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
generated_by_username_attempt: DifsStidita
generated_by_email_attempt: tjid5168ni@gmail.com
IP Address: 124.73.174.151:53496
User Agent: Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) Presto/2.12.388 Version/12.10
Time Taken To Register: 104 (seconds)
Basic Proxy Detection: Possibly Forged IP Address, ReverseDNSIP (151.174.73.124.broad.dynamic.hf.ah.cndata.com) != ipAddress (124.73.174.151)
JavaScript Enabled: FALSE
Browser Plugins Detected: None

Disabling the Captcha now see if I wake up to spam :p

Pretty cool, you guys had it setup really well before to stop bots but this is a slick way of terminating fuckers.

Pretty cool, you guys had it setup really well before to stop bots but this is a slick way of terminating fuckers.
Yeah I was alright with the puzzle which I assume was something Fast had put in since before me that was something he messed with full time.

The are you a human puzzle isn't officially supported for Xenforo though a community version did exist. I bought this plugin and told fast we should see how it goes before going further.

I like the vb plugin I had on it but if this plugin blocks fuckers I'm happy

Back