Red Bull Pilot vs Pelican

ErikStenger

This is a classic case of lucky or unlucky? Red Bull Air Race pilot Hannes Arch was competing in his plane to set the fastest time when he met a pelican bird in mid flight. Because of this he missed the next gate, got a 2 second penalty and didn’t set the fastest time. However, looking at the damage to his plane it is a miracle he didn’t crash into the sea below. Oh, the bird didn’t make it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRRkBNf8T9w

Both

Unlucky to hit a bird.

Lucky his tailplane, or even entire tail, didn't break off completely and/or disintegrate...

Might've been a mess if it hit the prop too (+ blood and feathers on the front of the canopy - funny but then not really).

It's so dangerous flying so low at such high speed. These guys have epic balls. I'm always surprised there aren't casualties at these events.

I would love to fly and extra 3300 like that it would be awesome, He is lucky that bird did'nt knock out his elevator cables or that could have ending is a very large garbage barge party. that guy is lucky, till the nature of the silk scarf.

[quote1242421683=monkeky12345]
There are.
[/quote1242421683]

At airshows yes, but has anyone died at a Redbull race? If they have, they've covered it up pretty well lol... I was looking for that one day and couldn't find anything at all (just one other video where a guy hits a "pylon" really low and almost crashes, but luckily it just tears through it and he recovers within a fraction of a second)

Back