Really EA?

As long as progression can be earned as well as purchased, I don't see an issue. Those who like to spend money will love this!

from the cluttered DROID RAZR of bracketslash

As long as progression can be earned as well as purchased, I don't see an issue. Those who like to spend money will love this!
buying that won't make them any better at the game and 80% of the players sucks ass as it is.

The micro-transaction business model if done right is good. They are going to screw it up though. Micro-transactions are what a lot of korean games run on. They do it so that you get things like xp boost, cosmetic stuff, and extra storage space. It is meant to compliment your gameplay and give new players the boost to catch up to everyone. In a game like BF3 this would work with xp boost, 1 week of double xp for $5. You shouldnt be able to buy your way to the top, that defeats the purpose of the game.

from the cluttered DROID RAZR of bracketslash

What if the progression to reach the maximum levels or the endgame takes 2+ years. That's how most F2P games work ;-) .

Theoretically, in a lot of f2p games you can earn anything given infinite time. Spiral knights is that way. Some aren't though.

But anyway, fuck EA, and fuck the "commercialized/profit-above-all" studios altogether.

I still don't have BF3, and probably not going to get BF4 or 5 or BF:Modern Warfare, or BF:Black Ops, or BF:Black Ops 2, or any of their shit DLC. That franchise is dead to me, as all franchises which go to EA and their shit "origin only, <insert social="" features="" here="">*insert some studio's social feature website*" platforms.

It's a bit sad, but "oldskool" gaming is where it's at for me, and I have to rely on indie studios, kickstarter projects, or "creativity" focused studios (like double fine or Valve) as the last bastion of quality.

Fuck all social features, motion controllers, nvidia motherfuckingvideocardrapeantialiasing, <insert my="" studio=""> *insert some studio decided to go publisher* download client, and proprietary shit such as ShytsiX.

Oh yeah, and paid, player-fracturing DLC mixed in multiplayer post-release.

*/rant*</insert></insert>

What if the progression to reach the maximum levels or the endgame takes 2+ years. That's how most F2P games work ;-) .

Theoretically, in a lot of f2p games you can earn anything given infinite time. Spiral knights is that way. Some aren't though.

But anyway, fuck EA, and fuck the "commercialized/profit-above-all" studios altogether.

I still don't have BF3, and probably not going to get BF4 or 5 or BF:Modern Warfare, or BF:Black Ops, or BF:Black Ops 2, or any of their shit DLC. That franchise is dead to me, as all franchises which go to EA and their shit "origin only, <insert social="" features="" here="">*insert some studio's social feature website*" platforms.

It's a bit sad, but "oldskool" gaming is where it's at for me, and I have to rely on indie studios, kickstarter projects, or "creativity" focused studios (like double fine or Valve) as the last bastion of quality.

Fuck all social features, motion controllers, nvidia motherfuckingvideocardrapeantialiasing, <insert my="" studio=""> *insert some studio decided to go publisher* download client, and proprietary shit such as ShytsiX.

Oh yeah, and paid, player-fracturing DLC mixed in multiplayer post-release.

*/rant*</insert></insert>
Indie's that deliver are far and few between. I'm waiting for one to release a Battlefield-esque game... probably won't happen for a while.

Look on the bright side. At least with battlefield you couldn't unlock xp boosts and unlock special stuff simply by purchasing pepsi products (I'm looking at you MW3 and Blops II)
For some reason, that ticks me off way more than purchasing your way to great gear or levels. Not sure why it bothers me different than this.

Meh, I dont care as long as the games are fun...I play alot of the micro transaction games and am able to hold off from spending money and just progress slowly.

be rest assured...the second arma 3 comes out, bf3 is gonna die out for a min. haha.

be rest assured...the second arma 3 comes out, bf3 is gonna die out for a min. haha.

Battlefield players are not all Arma 3 players. Personally I thought Arma 2's highlight of awesome realism was quite horrible. Sure its better than some games and we don't expect the same from others. But it was nothing revolutionary. I seriously doubt anyone mistook footage from the game as real footage, pretty sure they thought they would get away with it. The gameplay they used was of lower quality in game than the game is capable of and then dubbed to look like it was recorded on tape. Its also a way different game play wise. Some people are really into that series. Others just want to pull a trigger and have fun.

As far as things like premium go. Expansion packs have existed for games for a long time. If you want them you have to pay for them. Development is not free. Buying BF3 does not buy you BF3 End Game, why would it. Premium saves people money for those who want them all. But there is a bit of BS in tow so I see that of course. I just remember the days when NO ONE complained about the Star Craft: Brood War expansion. No one complained about having to drive all the way to a store to get the expansion either. Now in the day of fast internet its all of a sudden an issue you can buy expansions for cheap and not have to leave your home.

I am sure someone will bring up the cost of the core game at some point. 60 bucks in this time period is normal. In 1997 top end console games were 44 bucks, not the 20 people think they were. Looking at the price of food and other things the inflation is normal to me. But in the tech world we often expect it to go the other way or stay the same.

But yeah microtransactions kill me and ive only started buying into games with that model... sigh. Screw you EA lol. Now take my money.

I dislike partaking in microtransactions. I had in one game in the past, but it became really stupid and OP crap that they pedaled killed the game. That and the hackers & account traders.

Anyways, I can respect their model only with one condition--that nothing but cosmetics be exclusive to P2P players. That they can buy all the same abilities as well as weapons, and they'll only get different color schemes and the like available. Otherwise, it's just unlocking abilities.

I'm cool with cosmetics but their kinda pointless in battlefield. They make a lot of sense in NFS or even star trek but other than cammo what can you do in bf. BF seems more like a pay to win scenario.

I'm fine with microtransactions in F2P games. They have to recoup their development costs and make some money. I'm not cool with it when I pay $60 for a game even if it's just silly cosmetic stuff but that's not what it's going to be. I have a very bad feeling that all games are going to be pay to play and pay more to win.

*Edit*

Lol, just saw this in one of the comments for that article:

EA (2003): Challenge Everything
EA (2013): Charge you for Everything

I agree with Heatsurge.
And a problem with expansion packs is the trend that they are actually the last 20% of a game you bought for $60 and now have to drop more money to see the end. IE)StarCraft 2

EA's history with microtransactions in the battlefield series isn't all too good. with battlefield heroes they said you could not pay for an advantage. then come release time, you could buy better guns and stuff for real money and have an advantage.
I will not be buying BF4 at least not until they release their premium. I preordered bf3 and got the "limited edition" and then i find out i need to buy premium for another 50 bucks? or i can go to the store and buy the complete box for 60 bucks......so i paid $60 for a $10 game? I think i am more disappointed in myself for buying the premium box... but it is good at least

Back