Ping limits.

doct_orpheus

Your servers have the potential to be great. You have a lot of active admins, everyone seems mostly respectable in the chat, not too much trollish tactics going on.

One HUGE issue though. I was told the ping limit is 250. That is just too high. Have you ever played against someone with 250 ping while yours is relatively decent? It's nearly impossible to get hitmarkers on them, they kill you before their character is even displayed coming around corners, etc. It's just too much delay to try dealing with in a relatively quick-paced FPS.

Can you consider dropping the limit to 150 or so?

150 too low. We have regulars that come in the middle of the night and help keep the servers populated.

We also have members who ping around there.
At 150 If you spike briefly you will get kicked

We could try 200 but not fan anything below this

Ugh. The gameplay is so bad when there's a squad of guys from say Japan on a US server. Bullets stream right through them and you get maybe 1-2 hitmarkers. The corner issue is probably worse though. No warning, 100 health one frame, dead the next.

If someone has packet loss or crappy internet they won't necessarily ping high but stutter. So pings don't necessarily solve this issue. :/

In other games, pings of up to 250 are usually non issue.

Other games don't have client-side detection with such very loose server-side confirmation.

Fast , what is the threshold now? 350? I usually kicked for 300ms or higher...

Honestly, I don't notice hit detection being worse against high ping players. The hit detection in the g ame just plain sucks. Every time I think "I should have killed that lagger, I bet he has high ping" he doesn't. I get frustrated with my inability to kill 50ms players more than 200. The people who have the biggest disadvantage in BF4 have the higher pings. It affects them more than it does the other players ability to kill them.

Obviously this is all from my opinion and experiences.

Yeah there's always a variety of factors. But I notice a night and day difference with much better hit detection with 80 ms ping compared to 20 ms ping, not as many WTF moments how did he kill me so fast? A couple times I've tried servers with 100 ms ping, it seems unfair because I can literally run right past a guy while he struggles to get hits on me and I can shoot him with a quick burst and every shot connects. The aggressive high ping player is at a very big advantage as long as they don't have insane packet loss causing rubberband.

The games I have good hit detection on a 20 ms server, there is a clear lack of any players with over 100 ms ping. I have videos upon videos showing these differences. Maybe some day I will upload some examples.

There were a few ppl on tonight in lockers with pings from 250-300 and there was no auto kick. Is it still at 300?
If we were to test below 250 can you set it to what you like? maybe bringing it down by 10 each week or month or something like that to test out. I agree with Mac too 200 is ok balance between members and friends of TBG from overseas Vs keeping it populated.

These damn ping nazis finding excuses to suck at a game.

I would like to see an average ping limit of 100 on the Locker Room server. TBG has a few servers to why not have one that is a real rocket.

I would like to see an average ping limit of 100 on the Locker Room server. TBG has a few servers to why not have one that is a real rocket.

Probably because we have a number of our own members who have pings over 100+ due to their location. Sure we could whitelist them, but then we would be hypocrites. Also, as fast said, the people who keep our servers seeded overnight are typically people outside the country enjoying (and thankfully populating) our server.

As mentioned before ping limit of 150 or below will prevent some members and regulars from playing on our servers.

We also prevent the server from staying full overnight which is not something we want.

Okay, understood. Not sure what you're on about though 2Tartu. It's such a huge difference that I find it hard to believe you can't notice it. There are plenty of videos around of these issues: dying 1-2 seconds after reaching cover, health from 100-0 in one frame from an enemy using a non-OHK weapon, firing at and clearly hitting an enemy but getting very few hitmarkers, etc. It's not imaginary.

Okay, understood. Not sure what you're on about though 2Tartu. It's such a huge difference that I find it hard to believe you can't notice it. There are plenty of videos around of these issues: dying 1-2 seconds after reaching cover, health from 100-0 in one frame from an enemy using a non-OHK weapon, firing at and clearly hitting an enemy but getting very few hitmarkers, etc. It's not imaginary.

I was merely picking, sorry. For me this game is about fun not precision science.

Agreed. I don't like to play as a wannabe pro, finding a super leet headglitch spot and staying there the whole game. I like to run and gun and flank and create a nuisance, knowing that I will die a lot, but take out as many with me as I can. However, it's just not fun when I get hit by a guy who (on my screen) either shouldn't have even had a marginal shot at me or was looking the other way as I put 10 into him. It turns it from a test of my skill outmaneuvering and aiming into a roll of the dice whether the guy will have a 2 second window to return fire or die immediately (or appear out of nowhere and kill me before he's even gone ADS on my screen).

It's a problem on the 48 player domination server. I have seen ONE TBG member on the server a COUPLE of times. This is after hours and hours and hours of gameplay there. So I don't think dropping it to 150 would create any issues with TBG members, considering that one member is in the 70-80 ping range.

We do have a few members who play on our dom server. Also, it is not just about TBG, but for our regulars too. Unfortunately those of us with low pings feel the effects of those less fortunate. High ping players are a part of FPS games, and as far as BF4 goes, I dont think it is quite 100% operational yet..

Back