NVIDIA 3000 Series GPU Launch

I found this. Can I assume mine is 850Watt? Why does it say 460W right next to it.

Power ratings
Table 14. Power ratings Description Values Input voltage 100 VAC to 240 VAC
Input frequency 50 Hz to 60 Hz
Temperature range:
Operating 5°C to 50°C (41°F to 122°F)
Storage -40°C to 70°C (-40°F to 158°F)
Type 460 W 850 W
Input current (maximum) 8 A 10 A
Output current (continuous) 3.3V/17A, 5V/25A, 12VA/18A, 12VB/16A, 12VC/8A, 5Vaux/3A 3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12VA/32A, 12VB/ 48A, 12VD/16A, -12V/0.5A, 5Vaux/4A Rated output voltage 3.3V, 5V, 12VA, 12VB, 12VC, 5Vaux 3.3V,

Last edited:
I found this. Can I assume mine is 850Watt? Why does it say 460W right next to it.

Power ratings
Table 14. Power ratings Description Values Input voltage 100 VAC to 240 VAC
Input frequency 50 Hz to 60 Hz
Temperature range:
Operating 5°C to 50°C (41°F to 122°F)
Storage -40°C to 70°C (-40°F to 158°F)
Type 460 W 850 W
Input current (maximum) 8 A 10 A
Output current (continuous) 3.3V/17A, 5V/25A, 12VA/18A, 12VB/16A, 12VC/8A, 5Vaux/3A 3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12VA/32A, 12VB/ 48A, 12VD/16A, -12V/0.5A, 5Vaux/4A Rated output voltage 3.3V, 5V, 12VA, 12VB, 12VC, 5Vaux 3.3V,

give me a real model number and i can tell you if it will work for a new card or not.....2014 is when power supplies changed with the "haswell" standard that calculates everything off the 12 volt rail with the 3.3 and 5 volt rails being out of the watt ratings....if you could post a pic of the PSU sticker where all of this was written we can lock it down for you.....

321-BEPU : Alienware(TM) 850 Watt Multi-G PU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling

i cant find a listing for that PSU any where....i can find tons of forms talking about having it but no real info on what it is, who its made by or when it was made....

you could try it or buy a new PSU for about a 130 bucks (i paid this for my 750 G3 EVGA with 10 year warranty).....

321-BEPU : Alienware(TM) 850 Watt Multi-G PU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling

Yeah, because water and a high current power supply sounds like a terrific combination. Does it come with a free fire extinguisher and an auto-dial to 911 when you get electrocuted too? :)

That's a Dell PSU. Dell usually uses proprietary models, meaning they work great in Dell's and Alienware systems but not so much in other systems due to incompatible cables or specs. https://itprice.com/dell/321-bepu.html

If you're looking for a beefier PSU, look for those readily available on Newegg or Amazon, those all are standard units that are plug and play in any pc you build.

@JoeLeb unless you have one if these you don't have a real gaming pc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200916-124938_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200916-124938_Chrome.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 264
@JoeLeb unless you have one if these you don't have a real gaming pc.
Yeah, um, no. While it may not have rbg or the questionable liquid cooling, the EVGA SuperNova G3 PSU Joeleb talked about is one of the most elite PSU's you can buy for power, efficiency, voltage regulation, noise, and reliability.

Who needs cable management when you can have a pair of hoses coming out of your power supply? :)

Yeah because Alienware uses crappy components? Come on..

no most of the time the hardware is good from alienware BUT as @sixer9682 said they do funny things with them that make them only really work well in alieanware systems.....i found a little more on this PSU after looking really hard....it has (3)12 volt rails in layout and this may cause problems with a single rail being over drawn....

IF you have something marking the 12VB rail that supports 48amps you can run a 3000 series card with no issue as long as the 12 pin adapter is plugged in to that rail.....

if it was me i would pull out a meter set it to 2000 ohms and run thru all the 12 volt pins on the output cables of the PSU.....if all of them show continuity it means all the 12 volt rails are linked at output phase and you will have no issues.....if you cant get a reading it means the rails are isolated and will be problematic to find the rail that will support the whole wattage draw of the card.....

edit.....if you do go with a meter to find things make sure its unplugged from the wall and unplug everything from the motherboard BEFORE you probe things with the meter.....you dont need power on to do a continuity test....oh and always go 12 volt positive to positive....putting the meter on the negative will just show a ohms rating for the total circuit....you want your 2 probes on 12 positive with the ohms meter showing 0.00 on the read out to show dead short meaning all the 12 volts are linked

Last edited:
cards sold out basically instantly. fucking bots. Best buy, newegg, evga.com, you name it. all basically crashed. came back and all cards were sold out. Rip. idk if bestbuy.com is just fucked up, but they are trickle releasing lower end 3080's it seems randomly

yea bestbuy's website is fucked. if you add it to your cart the only option is store pickup next friday, and not even a local one lol

yea scalpers had them up on ebay before most of the websites even recovered.

it looks like consumers are fighting back against it wtih fake ebay accounts and driving up prices on GPU's, theres cards already $60,000 lol

Was able to procure one myself on EVGA’s Main store site. Was a bit of a shitstorm with the connection but was able to make it out with a one. Currently confirming the order to make sure it is legit. If everything lines up I’ll have it installed by Saturday.

Back