New computer!

sixer9682

So, after fucking around with my MSI X48C and trying yet another MSI X48C board that was dead I went out tonight and got an EVGA X58 motherboard, an I7 920 cpu, and 6gb DDR3 1600memory. 064

I haven't done anything with it yet but download updates for Windows and install the drivers, but it's fast, EVGA bios and board are sooooo much better than MSI, and I can't wait to get everything installed and start gaming again. I might be on tonight for a little bit after I get done with the updates. See you guys soon. 042

See you soon Sixer - hope you have a blast with the new mobo :D.

Thanks Soulzz. I'm having fun with it so far. I still haven't installed the aftermarket CPU cooler or my 2nd video card yet. I just wanted to get it up and running tonight. I got all the downloads/updates and was able to play a couple of games which was nice.

I'm curious about the case and aftermarket cooler you are using. The last one I built used the Antec 900 and Zalman 9000 series heatsink/fan. My son loves it!

The board and processor were $554-300 of that being for the motherboard.

The case is the Coolermaster HAF 932. Great case, plenty of space and utterly quiet, extremely well cooled. The cooler I'll be using is the Scythe Mugen 2. You should be able to find a retention bracket for your lga775 cooler that fits the new processors.

The PSU is a Corsair 850w and I have 2 ATI 4870s to run in crossfire. It'll be fun getting the system where I want it. EVGA's motherboard and bios are a pleasant surprise after MSI which was one headache after another.

[blockquote]I'll be asking you to build me one sixer... tax return baby! [/blockquote]

You've got to love getting money back. That would be nice excuse to upgrade! 047

Nice. I can't recommend the EVGA enough. It's a very user-friendly bios that needs little to no tweaking or adjustments for anything except a major overclock. Plus, it's got these cool lights that flash error codes on the motherboard to tell you if you connected something incorrectly like, for example, if one of your memory sticks is not inserted properly, or you forgot to plug in a power connector to a graphics card. It makes diagnostics pretty quick and simple.

Anyway, that should be a nice project when you decide to do it 049

I love building new systems, though with the economy the way it has been its been awhile since I have built any new ones.

No doubt about the economy putting a hit on purchases. I can't even say that I bought this one. Like Chuck, I've got a sugar-momma who paid for my new toys. 060

Back