Need some feedback

WildRaider

BANNED
BANNED
Ok so as many of you already know I need a better power supply for my computer...Since dell was cheap and only put a 350 watt power supply in here while running a ATI Radeon hd 5700 series...Cheap bastards they are...I don't have many options where I live to find power supplys seeing that Comp USA and Circit City went uder...But heres a link to one I found that seems less complicated with the wiring then the corsair one I looked at...Rocketfish™ - 500-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply - RF-500WPS2 supplys&cp=1&lp=5

I recommend Newegg.com. On power supplies I recommend the Cooler master brand. I have built many computers over the years and used to use nothing but Antec brand, then I had a string of bad ones that caused me and friends down time. Would not take a free Antec at this point. Biought a Cooler Master last year and it has been running non-stop since installtion last year.

For your needs I would recommend this one here;
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Extreme 700W 700W ATX 12V V2.3 Active PFC Power Supply

Or if you can swing the extra cash this one for future proofing
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

There are other brands, but I will stick with Cooler Master for me and I highly recommend them.

Bob know's his shit!!! I went with a Antec 1000w but will know in the future how long it will last. It's really over kill at this point but with a 3 way sli board Im ready :)

Dell has Proprietary Hardware. They supposedly stopped doing the proprietary shit recently. But make sure before you purchase a Power Supply and attempt to put it in your case.

Dell has Proprietary Hardware. They supposedly stopped doing the proprietary shit recently. But make sure before you purchase an Power Supply and attempt to put it in your case.

Sixer I have no clue what that is...I have had this computer like 7 months now...

Im thinking based on what I have seen that mine is a 5770...I called a place called computer works they have a 550 watt power supply for 69.99...They only want 20 dollars to install it...I can ask them about this dell proprietary stuff I guess...

Proprietary means that they designed or built components specifically for their products and it will only work for their products. Unless of course you want to get into some modding. I can imagine they messed with the plugs so that they are different and the mounting holes could be different or the actual size of the PS is unique. Could be anything really....Post your specs so we can researchwhat is actually in your rig.

Proprietary means that they designed or built components specifically for their products and it will only work for their products. Unless of course you want to get into some modding. I can imagine they messed with the plugs so that they are different and the mounting holes could be different or the actual size of the PS is unique. Could be anything really....Post your specs so we can researchwhat is actually in your rig.

Um im not familiar with computer lingo man...What exactly is specs is it like the info I posted about my computer on xfire or do I go somewhere else to find that? Also I called computer works back and asked them about the proprietary thing and they said they could look at it and tell me if it will work or not...

<TABLE class=gaming_rig><TBODY><TR><TH>Manufacturer:</TH><TD>Dell Inc.
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Processor:</TH><TD>Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Memory:</TH><TD>8192MB RAM
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Hard Drive:</TH><TD>984 GB
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Video Card:</TH><TD>ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Monitor:</TH><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Sound Card:</TH><TD>Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Speakers/Headphones:</TH><TD>Phillips 60 watts Bass
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Keyboard:</TH><TD>USB Root Hub
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Mouse:</TH><TD>USB Root Hub
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Mouse Surface:</TH><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Operating System:</TH><TD>Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Motherboard:</TH><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Computer Case:</TH><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

well from my dell support center and the sticker on the back the only numer I see is 5WGKML1

Thats not it..no worries, that price wasn't too bad from that place and $20.00 to install seems OK. At least it will be a start for you on your way to a better rig.

Thats not it..no worries, that price wasn't too bad from that place and $20.00 to install seems OK. At least it will be a start for you on your way to a better rig.

Yeah as long as I don't have any proprietary issues...I hope i don't cause then im gonna be pissed...

Ok well I just got back home after getting my new power supply put in...Dell didn't use any of their products when it came to the power supply so proprietary was not an issue...My computer was being stubborn after awhile, with the new power supply it kept loading up and shutting down...The computer works guy took the graphics card back out and looked at some things then put it back together and it was working...I upgrade from the 350 watts to 550 watts so basically 200 more watts added...They kept trying to get me to buy the 750 watt but I didn't have the money...BTW I have the 5770 graphics card...Cost me 87 dollars all together...Now im about to test this sucker out...

still not sure why you felt you needed a power upgrade - seems like you wasted $87 bucks

still not sure why you felt you needed a power upgrade - seems like you wasted $87 bucks

Because he has a 350W power supply so his 5770 is stock underclocked by Dell because a 450W power supply is recommended:

ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 System Requirements

• PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
  • 450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
  • Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to AMD Certified Power Supplies for a list of Certified products
  • Minimum 1GB of system memory
  • Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
  • DVD playback requires DVD drive
  • Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive
  • For an ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (included) are required

ATI Radeon

If AMD is recommending a 450W PS with a 6 pin adapter anyone with any sense can figure it out. Try Google it works.

Back