My New Machine

Soldier4Real

I know I keep talking up the Phenom II 955 but when it came time to pull the trigger I couldn't do it. Instead I went with the Core i7 920. System Specs:

Core i7 920 - 2.66 GHz (Hoping to OC to 4 GHz)
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
6 GB Corsair Dominator - DDR3 1600
2 x EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 896MB in SLI
Corsair 850W Power Supply
Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer
CoolerMaster Storm Scout case (all black, even inside, it's pimp)
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
2 x Samsung DVD burners
2 x Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB (will be running in RAID 0)
Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

Only problem is I have to wait like two weeks for everything to come in. But I am real excited, like a kid waiting for Christmas. Once I get it assembled I'll post some pics. Altogether it set me back like $1700, my original budget was $1400 for the AMD build but I saw some benchmarks comparing the two and thought for an extra $300 what the hell I deserve it.

I'd forget about 4ghz unless it's just to see if you can OC. I've read several reviews that show an actual decrease in 3D performance over 3.8. The sweet spot for the 920 is 3.6-3.66. Also, it won't run near as hot at those speeds. Nice setup btw. I'll tell you though, I won't ever go back to a traditional HD after using this SSD-it's too fast which=fun.

That is impressive! Only thing that'd be better is the SSD like sixer said. I love my i7 920 and 8Gb of crucial ram... makes for a good all around experience. I am considering doing that 2x Western Digital Caviar 1TB in RAID 1 for data security... I bought one of them just to see how it went and its a good HDD.

4G with the 920 needs some water cooling also.

And don't get AMD now its a performance waste.

My i7 965 not overclocked beat the AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition overclocked using liquid nitrogen to 4.1 by 10k in Futuremark06. It got 31k in CPU and I got 41k in CPU. The only thing they beat me in was Video card and they used two ATI dual video cards making it a Quad Crossfire setup.

It should be a beast. My wife was already not too happy with the additional cost so a SSD is not an option right now. Maybe when the SLCs come down in price I'll pick one up. Sixer I'm curious as to where you read about the 3D gaming performace above 3.6 GHz. I did some googling and couldn't find anything.

This is one thing I found:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2335841,00.asp

It seems as though everything scales really well at 4 GHz. @ Halo 4 GHz is definitely doable without water cooling, you just need a good aftermarket cooler, which the Sunbeam is.

Don't like the fact that the sunbeam isnt flat or polished on the bottom.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=597607

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow. Today was finishing installing the hardware, software and getting my tweaks. I got my 4.0 GHz on air and never went above 60 degrees Celsius. I ran 3DMark 06 at stock settings and got 16273 but OC'ed it jumped up to 23061 which is about what I expected. This thing is a beast.

I agree with you, all black inside and out is pimp. And somehow, it looks bigger, or maybe that is just a myth.

Back