Medal of Honor Marine sues ex-employer for defamation

Sgt.SID

Donator
U.S. News - Medal of Honor Marine sues ex-employer for defamation

A Marine sergeant who received the Medal of Honor from President Barack Obama last September for saving 36 comrades has sued his previous employer, a major weapons manufacturer, for defamation, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.

Details weren't released at the time of the original lawsuit in June, the Journal added, but Dakota Meyer filed an amended complaint on Monday in which he accuses BAE Systems of retaliation after he criticized the company for selling sniper scopes to Pakistan that he said were better than what U.S. soldiers got.

"We are taking the best gear, the best technology on the market to date and giving it to guys known to stab us in the back," Meyer wrote to his superviser, according to the lawsuit. "These are the same people killing our guys."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meyer says he later tried to return to a job with an earlier employer but was spurned when his BAE supervisor made false claims about a drinking problem and that he was "mentally unstable."

BAE, for its part, stated: "Although we strongly disagree with his claims, which we will address through the appropriate legal process, we wish him success and good fortune in his endeavors."

A colleague at his earlier employer, Ausgar Technologies, told ABC News that Meyer was "an outstanding employee."

"He exhibited a maturity for his age and an insightful capability to get the job done and provide recommendations to improve on what we are doing," said Tom Grant, a retired naval officer and a senior program manager at Ausgar. "I was very impressed while he was working for us."

A business is a business though. And if the US army aren't prepared to spend money on the best gear and if the enemy do then that is kinda tough luck :/

still a hard one though

A business is a business though. And if the US army aren't prepared to spend money on the best gear and if the enemy do then that is kinda tough luck :/

still a hard one though

I disagree, however keeping in mind that none of us know the full extent of what's going on here other than what were reading in the news, I don’t believe it's appropriate for companies such as BAE even if it is just business, to be selling better military hardware to other countries allies or not, and especially not to ones that are playing both sides of the fence. Business may be business but in this case were talking about weapons of war that can very easily fall in to the wrong hands and just as easily be used against our own troops.

Yeah I agree with you Shockwave. But yeah the article was pretty vague. Arms may have been dealed to the right people then passed on to whoever. But we probably won't ever know

Shit, it already happening. From the rumor that I hear. There is a lot of defecters going to the insurgents after they get issued certain gear. I don't know who true that is, since I'm in Iraq and not Afghan.

Back