Mac Attack

BlackHoleSun

I changed to a MacBook Pro some time ago, and although I love it for every day use it's not ideal for gaming, especially compared to the Alienware Area 51 I used before.

There are a few issues I've been working on but nothing major - I can still play.

1. No Northern Strike - Although EA makes a Mac version of 2142 Northern Strike is only available by download through EA Download Manager which doesn't support Mac.

2. I have a 15" screen but the game doesn't run full screen. There is about an inch of black on either side. I've tried changing screen resolutions in game setting but nada.

3. Ventrilo. I bought a USB headset but when I plugged it in the sound from my computer still came through the speakers and the internal mic still picked up sound. I have an old mic that I use for now and it works, just not ideally.

I'll put some of my tech specs here because I don't know that much about computers.
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed.
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

Your specs aren't too shabby, however, I would highly recommend getting a PC, or a laptop. What happened to your Alienware?

Easiest solution is to use bootcamp and install windows, it won't erase OSX so don't worry. Then just run the windows version of the game. It works as well as a pc with the same specs. (The mac version of 2142 is actually not a native mac game, it uses cider, basically its the windows version of the game being emulated.) The pc version running in XP will actually run better on the same machine. I have a macbook (the unibody before the rebranding) with basically the same specs, so if you need help setting bootcamp up let me know.

I had VMware Fusion - about the same as bootcamp but runs both OS's simultaneously, you just click a button to switch back and forth. I used it a little during the free trail but I don't want to run windows on here anyway.

My Alienware was great until like all Windows machines it messed up. I had to change the video card in it and I downloaded a rootkit that ate my OS. I had to reinstall Windows XP and now whenever I start it up I have a choice between two different XP's. Then my cousin dropped it and broke the power input so now if you bump it or unplug it it dies. If you have the cash I would recommend an Alienware,preferably with XP. Serious gaming machines.

Be careful Trigger, if you spend too much on an Alienware you'll be living in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

I'm gonna build a new one soon with a i7 in it. I will ask few questions to you guys soon. Whos good with building PC, like I d'like to know which motherboard I sould use with...

I have a 15" screen but the game doesn't run full screen. There is about an inch of black on either side. I've tried changing screen resolutions in game setting but nada.

Well seems that i have the same issue with my Alienware M15x that wont run as full screen...can someone clear my confused mind?

Right click the icon. Go to properties. And add +widescreen 1 at the end of the Target box.

Back