L4D2

We'll have to wait and see how it is. I along with many others thought they should have just added content to the original L4D.

Over 10,000 Steam Members Pledge to Boycott L4D2

One of the bigger surprises of E3 was Valve's announcement of Left 4 Dead 2, mainly because -- given Valve's history of post-release support -- no one expected a sequel to the original game to come this soon. But for many, the announcement has garnered much more than just surprise. Kotaku reports that a new group on the Steam Community site has promised to boycott Left 4 Dead 2, and this group, as of this writing, is 10,661 members strong.

The group (titled "L4D2 Boycott (NO-L4D2)") has posted a few key reasons for why exactly they're so upset with this announcement, which can be perused in this handy list:

Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered
Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they almost certainly started working on L4D2 right after release
The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games
The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes
The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far
L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1's visual aesthetic
The fiddle-based horde music is extremely disliked, though the differently orchestrated music is otherwise welcome
L4D2's release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before
The community has lost faith in Valve's former reputation for commitment to their games post-release

While complaints about the "fiddle-based" music and "bright" visual aesthetics recall some of the sillier complaints levied against Diablo 3 last year, many of these points do seem like legitimate bones of contention. More troublesome, though, are reports that posts regarding the boycott group on the official Steam forums are being removed, with those making the posts receiving warnings and reprimands (as you can see in this forum screen grab).

Speaking to Gamasutra earlier this week, Tom Leonard, project lead for Left 4 Dead 2, explained why they decided to make a sequel so soon after the original's release last November. Shortly after the first game's release, Leonard explained, the team "hit the white board and came up with ideas about how we could expand the experience -- new characters, new locations, new positioning on the timeline of the infection, new game mechanics." He continued, "As we started talking that through, it became clear that we weren't really talking about incremental updates; we were talking about a whole experience. And it would be hard to deliver that totality of experience in incremental bits."

It doesn't look like Valve has issued any official statement regarding this growing boycott yet (and it should be noted that a lot could change between now and L4D2's release, and some who have pledged to boycott it may not hold to that pledge by November). If any kind of official statement comes in, we'll pass it along.

all L4D need was a few more chapters and weapons. some more heavy weapons like strategic rocket launchers with 1/2 shots. i dont know exactly what but the game was short. replay value is high. i just get a little board with the same dual pistols and auto-shotty.

L4D to me looks like a CS mod and i got worn out of CS long time ago.. building on the same cs engine still valve needs new game play.. is this game actually any good? i here horrible things and then i hear good things ..

I think L4D is way fun.

However, I share every sentiment with that group, as I already posted somewhere in the forums.

I'm very disappointed with the idea of L4D2 altogether.

I think Valve's turned into something else from what I knew, if future games they release turn out that way (sequel every year with little to no updates).

Where's fucking Episode 3 btw!? Portal 2??

... and they release a carbon copy of L4D with a few minor changes.

The Source engine is slowly getting old too. It's still very solid, but another year or two, and it won't be anymore...

Back