Killing Floor - Server?

HeatSurge

Alright,

so there's this game "Killing Floor" that came out on Thursday.

It's really an "improved mod" over a UT2004 mod called Killing Floor - kind of an attempt to do what Valve did with CS - take a mod, release it as "standalone" title and make improvements on it.

It's been rather popular, and it's still pretty high (#2 behind the weekend sale) on steam's "top sales" list 2 days after release.

The stats show a peak of half the TF2 players for today, which is quite a bit... so you could say right now it's "half" as popular as TF2 lol:
http://store.steampowered.com/stats

Anyway, I bought it on preorder, because the buzz was pretty good and gameplay videos looked at least ok.

It's not a game that will sweep you off your feet by any means, and it does have "mod" and "budget/indie" written all over it, but that said I think it's going to be somewhat popular in the future, especially when new maps start coming out (they have already), and even mods. I enjoy it quite a bit myself.

Then again, the SDK Beta for L4D is out as well, so when that comes out in release, we might see a backslash but who knows.

Anyway, I've been playing a LOT myself over the last two days, and the servers are incredbly busy right now, bc for some reason right now there's very few of them (especially dedicated ones) for a LOT of players. However, I don't know if this is going to be just over this weekend or sustained. It might not be sustained as people will get tired of the game eventually, but servers should still be moderately popular.

Sadly, nobody at TBG will likely play this game but me, but I can almost guarantee that if we run a server for it, it will be full at least 50% of the time (in "right now" timeframe, not sure after a week or two). It shouldn't take many resources or bandwidth as it is a 6-player game and the UT2004 engine basically, so it should be pretty lightweight.

So... can we install a server for it (if it's completely free to TBG and can run on our existing box or whatnot - I don't want extra payment for it)? :-D

Can I set it up and all if we are going to try having a server? It has a "web admin" which should work fine hopefully.

done IP is
64.34.214.4:7707

What is the server name? Im not sure how to change the name unless you tell me what it is i can check the file.

Server is now up:
Name:
-|TBG|- TBGClan.com Specimen Trauma
IP:
64.34.214.4 (also shows up on the in-game serverbrowser ;-) )

Settings:
Game: Long, Difficulty: Normal
All map rotation, kickvote / mapvote enabled

If anyone has KF, join up.

I'm still figuring out a "reserved slot" arrangement... best I've figured is to join as spectator, become admin, kick someone, and play, but I'm looking for a better way.

It's very easy to become admin in-game (you just type a console command) so ask me about that in PM.

We can look at putting a banner for it on the main page too... the game is on gametracker, but not on game-monitor (yet?).

I need some web space for custom Killing Floor maps. They just released the first one that's worth adding (really there's 4 or 5 out but the other ones suck major balls), so I'd like to add it to the server.

I need a folder which is HTTP browseable, so something like www.tbgclan.com/KFMaps/ or something, and then I need to stick a 3mb .uz2 (UT compressed map) file for download in there.

Can you give me FTP permissions to do that (just to the www.tbgclan.com/KFMaps folder)? Otherwise, I can give you the .uz2 and you can stick it in there and make the folder public.

If I get home in time, I will, otherwise, I'll give FAST the appropriate info so he can.

Well I actually found some quick free hosting, so it's working for now, but I'm not sure how reliable that would be in the future... :) anyawy I'm going to school now.

Just an update:

Our Killing Floor server is going strong :)

It's been like almost 2 weeks since release and still pretty busy and all. I play once in a while too and after 70+ hours of playtime (omg) over the last week and a half, I'm still finding the game fun... so yeah.

I've added 4 custom maps to it tonight (along with the 6 original stock maps), one of them is an update on a custom map I was running before. I am also running unobtrusive advertising messages in-game via an approved "mutator" (kinda like a server extension for UT2004), but sadly it seems like the user base for the game (so far and maybe forever?) is non-clan based generally, due to the game not being competitive really, so nobody that I've seen has come to our website (yet?).

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is there is this subject of servers with more than 6 players floating around.

I did play on a server that allowed like 64 players or something the other night. I had a shit ping because I think it's in Europe somewhere (England possibly).

But... it was kind of... different and possibly fun. There was a nasty side effect of incredible lag at the beginning of every "wave" but past that it seemed to run just fine.

That said, I looked at making our server more than 6 slots. Now, it's kind of an interesting issue, because the game is designed for 6 people, and it would be like running a campaign left 4 dead server for more than 4 players (for example, imagine it with 32!). That's kinda like how running a >6 slot KF server is. It kind of works OK mostly though. While I definitely don't want 64 people on our KF server (it's an overkill), I was thinking of something like ... 10. Just to see how popular it is and how the game would play.

Setting the server to more than 6 players is as simple as changing a number in the KillingFloor.ini file, which fast gave me access to (many thanks for which).

The problem is, wolf is forcing that variable to 6 via the commandline to launch the server (MaxPlayers=6).

The commandline for the server is here:
server KF-BioticsLab.rom?game=KFmod.KFGameType?VACSecured=true?MaxPlayers=6?multihome=64.34.214.4

I wish I could edit that commandline, but it is hardcoded, and the wolfservers interface only allows you to set 3 variables:
AdminName= (for when you are first setting up your server web interface)
AdminPassword= (see above)
VACSecured= (for turning off VAC if you want to)

So, the MaxPlayers=6 forces the server to ignore what the KillingFloor.ini says (in my case it says MaxPlayers=10) about that variable and use the commandline instead.

Bottom line is, unless wolfservers allows me to remove or edit that variable out of the commandline, the server is hard-coded to 6 slots.

Now, I'm not sure what the deal is on servers as far as that goes, because more slots usually cost more $$ and how our arrangement works, so I can see how wolfservers would like to control that (otherwise people would just set their slots to whatever they want)... but if this is running out of our ded. box, we should have full control... right?

There is also this other thing about what the original developers want, and somebody from the dev. team posted on the tripwire forums that no server providers "should" be offering more than 6 slots, but I'm not sure if that's legally bound or anything... And roxservers.com are publicly advertising on the tripwire forums that they're now offering more than 6-slot KF servers and their posts aren't removed or anything... so I think it's fine from a legal/policy point of view.

So... fast if this is running out of our ded. box, can you convince whoever at wolfservers to remove "?MaxPlayers=6" from our command line? Don't change anything else!

P.S. I really think people who enjoy FPS's in general should buy this game like right now lol.

P.P.S. The custom maps are downloading from my personal (and free lol) webspace here:
http://kfmaps.heatsurge.comxa.com
So they're not placing any additional load on our server at all. In fact, I've explicitly disabled downloading maps from the server in the .ini, so if my host fails, it does NOT fall back on the server and displays a message that "the map could not be downloaded." In other words, the server only does what it's supposed to - run the game.

I hate zombie games... I dont like concentrating and then jumping out of my skin when something loud or ugly happens instantaneously. As far as the dedi goes... You should be able to remote desktop right in a change whatever you want... If they gave you access to a specific file or ftp account - they gave you specific privileges on the server.

It's like a web interface what I have access to... and FTP.

But I need something removed from the command line that launches the server, not the files themselves... which is pretty restricted access I guess.

BTW the game is not really "jump in your seat" scary... It plays more like a constant horde in L4D more or less (with breaks to buy guns)... but not so overwhelming.

The commandline for the server is here:
server KF-BioticsLab.rom?game=KFmod.KFGameType?VACSecured=true?MaxPlayers=6?multihome=64.34.214.4

I can't edit it at all, I can only see it. The things after the ? are variables. There's a "create new server launch command" but it only allows you to edit 3 variables: ?AdminLogin=, ?AdminPassword=, and ?VacSecured=...

I basically need ?MaxPlayers=6 from that command above removed, as it forces the server to 6 slots at launch (ignores the setting which really should be read from the .ini).

It's not possible to do via the web interface, so whoever needs to go in and remove it manually.

However, obviously this is something wolfservers would enforce, because extra slots cost money, so they can't just let people change their slots at will. If this is running out of our ded. box, we should be able to though... that's my question.

Anyway, this has been one hell of a day... I just finished coding a 500+ line assembly project (final assembly shit we're moving to C next week) so I'm as good as dead right now... will probably just eat and go to bed when I get home.

Done ;). The server was almost full, but I'm sure it will get back up again ;).

Well here it's still now showing:
server KF-BioticsLab.rom?game=KFmod.KFGameType?VACSecured=true?MaxPlayers=6?multihome=64.34.214.4 D:\TCAdmin_Game_Installs\savman22\GameServers\TC33651375687531067055724\system\ucc.exe server KF-BioticsLab.rom?game=KFmod.KFGameType?VACSecured=true?multihome=64.34.214.4

The only thing that should be showing in the command line is:
server KF-BioticsLab.rom?game=KFmod.KFGameType?VACSecured=true?multihome=64.34.214.4

(in other words the original with ?MaxPlayers=6 removed)

Anyway... if Soulzz or Fast or someone can look at this again... I'm going to bed.

If you can't do it, at least remove the junk starting with D:\TC_Admin... as it is useless.

Our KF server (which only I play on lmfao) has climbed to the top spot on both gametracker and game-monitor of 6-person servers. All the servers above it are either foreign (non-usa) where there is severe server deprivation, or more than 6-person servers, which are not officially supported or encouraged at all (in fact they shouldn't exist).

Basically, it's like uberawesome because of my admining skillz and delicious map updates lulz.

But anyway. If you like shooting zombies, you should get this game. I'd love to play with someone from TBG :-D... The game looks kinda lame on videos, but the gameplay is very satisfying when you actually play it and it's tons of fun imo.

Btw the game has now also supposedly gone retail in the US per the tripwire (game developer) forums... so you might be able to find it even cheaper than $20 which would be a steal tbh.

Unfortunately, the server doesn't generate much attention due to the coop nature of the game. I do have a few regulars which I talk to once in a while in steam, but they don't play 2142 so they're kind of a not-so-good match for us.

Back