Increased smoothness on servers, for 2142

LUCIFER Snake

This is a suggestion that has no guarantee to increase anything, but logically and theoretically it should.

Ping limit servers with a max ping 100.

As I've noticed on 2142 servers from TBG it does has a "[east]" on the server title, which does let people know that the server is meant for eastern players within the U.S.

The ping limit would make sure it’s only Eastern. So theoretically it would make lag from the server happening a lot less. This could also have less server crashes as the server isn’t working as hard to keep high ping players within the server.

This normally works for clans who have a large load of servers, and large number of community members who are from all over the world.

They are called East because the servers are located in the East, Virginia specifically. If we decreased the ping limit to 100 some of our west coast members would not be able to play. They are in this clan to play alongside of other members not to be excommunicated to servers that are only in their geographic location. Btw I don't have issues with smooth game play maybe you need to get rid of the Pentium 2 machine you're playing on.

no no, I dont lag ether. Just when everyone in the server is complaining about it means its server side lag. I understand completely for allowing west coast members to play, I just assumed that if its a (not TBG) clan that has 4-7 servers generally they would split the number of servers and have 4 East, 4 West, and maybe 1 central. Hence is why many console online games offer East, West, and other country servers to play in, to make the game as smooth as possible for all players.

Now again I dont lag, but I do lag whenever everyone is complaining about lag... Only happens when 25%-40% of the players hit 200+ ping on a 48-64size server.

FYI: my specs...
Manufacturer:
Custom Built
Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory:
2046MB RAM
Hard Drive:
74 GB Raptor Drive
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX - 768MB
Monitor:
ViewSonic VA1912w SERIES - LCD Widescreen
Sound Card:
SB X-Fi Audio [8C00] - 92khz
Speakers/Headphones:
7.1 Sround Sound Speakers - Creative / USB Logitech Headsets 350 Series
Keyboard:
G15 Logitech
Mouse:
G5 Logitech

no P2 processor.

ive never had problems with lag even when other people are lagging. i havent played the 2142 server as much as the cod one but on cod ive run around with 40ms ping while almost everyone else was spiking over 1000ms

Your GFX card is likely the cause of your lag. I have hear a lot of b ad things about the 768mb versions. I only lag when the server crashes ^_^ (or my internet is crapping out).

When it came out the 8800 GTX was the best card but that was three years ago. Granted it's more than enough to play 2142. Btw the remark about the P2 was my attempt at humor. I've never really noticed higher ping players lag the server out. I know it affects me personally if I play over 75 ping.

I used to use a P4 until I built my laptop; goes to show it's not the machine.......but the operator...LOL

Call of Duty never lags for me ether ... I'll admit it Call of duty is far better game in server stability than Battefield's, especially for 2142.. But the server does work harder when there is a heavy load onto the server. The more higher pinged players in the server the more work the server is working to keep them on the server running smoothly for them.. As the server works harder, it can lag the entire server for all players.. As its rare during normal EST/PST times of the day/night, but I play at odd hours like midnight - 6am est. time, so more European gamers are playing on the server with 150-300 pings.

i have pinged at 51ms since i joined TBG's retal server when the clan was conceived.

thats from two different AMD builds, same ISP. i can jump on my neighbors wifi and i ping 57.

i would limit ping to 200-250 but that still cuts of some continental US players. we usually take care of high ping players (300-350), but id say most players are under 150.

[quote1251478345=LUCIFER Snake]
Now again I dont lag, but I do lag whenever everyone is complaining about lag... Only happens when 25%-40% of the players hit 200+ ping on a 48-64size server.
[/quote1251478345]
Well all ur bitching here, and in other threads, has caused me to lag. Thx. 100%
Dude, you may have been top ass admin for whatever in the past. But this is a solid community with solid servers. Well, as solid as 2142 will allow them to be. My point is this. These guys didnt get to where they are now, without knowing what to do.

TBG servers are the best, i usually play with 220-280 ping and i can play well with that.

If you change the ping limit to 200-250 i'm dead :(

i live 621 miles above of the Antarctic

most players are under 150 ping, but not all of us have the same luck.

Funny, the only time I ever lag is on the Tampa server, but it only happens as soon as I walk through the enemy titan door. When I am inside the cargo bay it goes to shit, its almost like I am in slow motion. Even the verbal audio is skips and repeats. Even if there isnt anyone on the enemy titan, I still lag like crazy. My ping is stiill at 25 or so but still lags. Other than that, I have never lagged on any other server.

[quote1251484176=roth140]
i have pinged at 51ms since i joined TBG's retal server when the clan was conceived.
[/quote1251484176]

Was it an immaculate conception?

JK it just sounded weird to me lmfao.

[quote1251513398=Agent .25i]
Well all ur bitching here, and in other threads, has caused me to lag. Thx. 100%
Dude, you may have been top ass admin for whatever in the past. But this is a solid community with solid servers. Well, as solid as 2142 will allow them to be. My point is this. These guys didnt get to where they are now, without knowing what to do.
[/quote1251513398]

It's not bitching, it’s Constructive Criticism. And I'm not complaining, as the topic title states, "Increased smoothness on servers, for 2142". I gave my helpful advice that should increase the smoothness for the server... Again I understand that they're players from all over the world in TBG. I was only giving helpful advice. I’m not force feeding it down your throat... You can take it or leave it... As a loyal player to TBG servers, I thought it would be nice and helpful to give helpful advice to TBG server admins, that’s all.

um did I tell you that players with high pings have little affect on the server itself now? You know technology improves from the days of counter strike?
Lots of people think that high pingers affect the same way as it did before. Thats not true.

[quote1251514800=x=FAST=x]
um did I tell you that players with high pings have little affect on the server itself now? You know technology improves from the days of counter strike?
Lots of people think that high pingers affect the same way as it did before. Thats not true.
[/quote1251514800]

I totally agree. But EA under staffs, under maintain master server stability, and under maintain game bugs... If technology was so good right now, then why EA has no interest in fixing problems on its games? They do only on extremely popular games, like BF2 unbalanced gameply.

Today yes games run smoother than before. And games that are constantly updated, and heavily maintained by the developers.

I've seen it first hand, a server having 150+ players as the majority, like 64 size server, players over 150+ ping being 90% of the players... The server lags, and within 20-40min. the server crashes. I've experienced that many many times in both BF2 years back and 2142.

[quote1251516455=LUCIFER Snake]
I totally agree. But EA under staffs, under maintain master server stability, and under maintain game bugs... If technology was so good right now, then why EA has no interest in fixing problems on its games? They do only on extremely popular games, like BF2 unbalanced gameply.

Today yes games run smoother than before. And games that are constantly updated, and heavily maintained by the developers.

I've seen it first hand, a server having 150+ players as the majority, like 64 size server, players over 150+ ping being 90% of the players... The server lags, and within 20-40min. the server crashes. I've experienced that many many times in both BF2 years back and 2142.

[/quote1251516455]
Get a PS1, or an N64. All your ping issues... fixed. 031

Under staffing, etc, really has nothing to do with 2142 server performance. It's about how they code the game, and what hardware is used to support it.

Game exploits do play a big factor in 2142 to contribute to server crashing, but they don't affect server performance.

As for ping, I doubt it. Has little to no effect for me. As for the way the game is coded, that's another story. That's dependent on a good development team and a good company to maintain it.

Back