I am thinking of buildin a computron

MotherMan

So with BF3/Dead Island/Rage coming out I decided my Asus laptop will not cut it. This will be my first build and I will need lots of help. I have been watching videos on newegg and what not and getting a good grasp but im bound to need more help.

So far I have done some looking and have picked out some parts. I would like some feedback if these are good/compatible and worth the price. (im a noob at this so I could have made a mistake)

Case: Newegg.com - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D (CC650DW-1) Black Steel structure with black brushed aluminum faceplate ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PowerUnit:Newegg.com - Rosewill LIGHTNING Series LIGHTNING-800 800W Continuous @50°C,80 PLUS GOLD Certified,Pipe-rock Modular Design,Single +12V Rail,ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.92,SLI Ready,CrossFire Ready,Active- PFC ,Fan LED color switch Power Su

Mother(Man)Board: Newegg.com - MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR

VideoCard: Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P3-1386-KR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (I plan on getting an SSD in the future)

You're missing a Heatsink, unless you want to use the one that comes with the processor.

You're missing a Heatsink, unless you want to use the one that comes with the processor.

How reliable are the ones that come with them? I dont really plan to overclock at first because I figure the parts I am looking at will be powerful enough to take on the games coming out now. Or am I way wrong?

The heatsink for the processor is fine. You'll get lower temps with a 3rd party cooler, but, with a good case, it's perfectly fine if you're on a budget.

If you're not doing any overclocking, it's perfectly fine to use the stock heatsink.

Look at getting a better graphics card. Initial benchmarks say that the GTX 460/SE will suck in DX11 mode.

Buying an 800watt new egg house brand psu manufactured by god knows what chinese company sounds like a horrid idea. For the money drop a bit of wattage since ur current build doesnt even come close to needing it and buy gsomething good.

Save some money and get a better PSU. This Seasonic is a great PSU at 850W and $120.00 They're extremely stable, reliable, and are silent.

Newegg.com - Seasonic SS-850HT 850W ATX12V v2.31,EPS12V v2.92 80Plus Silver Certified, Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Or you could get the PC Power & Cooling 760w PSU for $119 and a 7 year warranty. These are rock solid and silent as well.

Newegg.com - PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply

Or go modular at 750w with Enermax modular. They make their own PSUs that are rock solid and silent as well for $119.00. I have the Enermax 1050 and it's inaudible, modular, and the best damn PSU I've ever owned besides the PC Power & Cooling 750.

Newegg.com - ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENM750AWT 750W

ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

I'm not sure why you are looking at that case, seems like a lot of money... I would save some coin on your case and put it towards a good PSU and an aftermarket heatsink. Antec 900 is a pretty good overall case (bad cable management) at almost half the price. The 900 is not my favorite case, I am just using it as an example. I have done several builds for friends using the antec 300 ($60-) and had great results...

Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

Thanks for the help. Is there a site you trust most to get your benchmarks? I found this one on one site to have scored pretty high and has a wicked price reduction on Newegg Newegg.com - Recertified: EVGA 015-P3-1480-RX GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Google Translate

Seasonic's HT line is quite reasonable. Perhaps look at Corsair's units as well. I don't trust Rosewill--some units are actually very nice but low-cost units could be built by Seasonic one day, FSP the next day, and a complete unknown the third day. There's little consistency for designs and parts so it's like rolling a dice.

Yeah, Seasonic, from what I understand, was formed by some of the founders of FSP and the designs are similar. Great PSUs. Corsairs get pricey when looking for modular, otherwise I like their PSUs except when they get hot under load their fans get too loud for me. I've never had that problem with Seasonic, PC Power & Coooling, or especially Enermax.

Speaking of PSUs XFX brands are Seasonic PSUs rebranded and OCZ has purchased the brand of PC Power & Cooling, but from what PCPower still makes the PSUs.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. I will work on finding a better PSU as you said. I do want to find a modular one because I am one who gets frustrated over little things like a bunch of wires just hanging around.

Bob..Thanks for the link to the benchmark tests for BF3 alpha. That is extremely helpful

Rain..What wattage should I look for in a PSU

Sixer...How different is the GTX 570 vs GTX 480?

And as for the case, it came from one of Neweggs tutorial guides and it looked very easy to manage and build in. I know its a little pricey, but am definitely out to look for something similar at a more reasonable price.

Motherman,

You'll run all you've got easily on a 750w PSU-that's why I posted those options.

Asus PSU calculator http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

The 570 will run a little faster than the 480, probably about 7-10% faster depending on the game. The thing to look at here though is it draws way less power, runs an assload cooler, about 20C, and for $35.00 more that's worth it to me.

Phantom is a cool case and i mean that in the literal sense. I couldnt stand the idea of having a door on the front so I stayed away. But if you never beat it up it should fit anything you ever want to put in a standard full tower case.

Agreed on the 570. I was pretty close to going dual 570's but decided i wanted to save a little money. According to nvidia its performance is over the 480. http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gtx-570/performance Look at the bottom chart on relative performance based on benchmarking.

They both have the same number of streaming processors. The 570 has higher reference clocks (mind you both models could be bought overclocked). The 480 has more ROPs and a slightly higher memory interface. The 570 runs faster ram. The 480 could actually outperform the 570 in certain situations however the 570 is much more overclockable and should be able to make up for the difference most of the time. Buying an overclocked model for a few bucks more should take care of this for you. The 570 is also more power efficient.

As far as the power supply goes the 750 would hold you over with two 570's if you expanded later. One thing to know is that power supply's are more efficient getting close to max load to a point before it drops off. But I also preach never to run anywhere near the psu max output even if you know you wont reach it. Running at max output can shorten its life. Just remember though a good balance can help on the power bill, putting a 1000 watt psu on a system that draws 400 watts might be a system with less than 80% efficiency. You can pull the chart on your psu if its been tested. Always leave room to expand 200-250 watts maybe for many graphics cards and remember it wont last forever so it doesnt have to be permenant choice.

One last thought. If you're worried about 750w pushing close to the limits and still want a reasonably priced PSU there's always the Antec CP850. It's modular, 5 year warranty, but is slightly larger than some PSUs. I've had Antec PSUs before and never had any problems with them. Like Corsair when they get hot-running a heavy load for hours on end the fan is audible-not loud but something I notice since I'm a quiet freak.

Anyway, this unit gets a pretty damn good review from jonnyguru.com-one of my favorite places for PSU reviews and it's only $129.00 After this, the prices go up and this unit seems to be rock solid.

Newegg.com - Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=215

After a little research I changed from the i7 2600K to the i5 2500K. The 100$ difference in price doesn't cover the difference in gaming performance plus newegg gives -25$ for the combo with the motherboard I selected

After a little research I changed from the i7 2600K to the i5 2500K. The 100$ difference in price doesn't cover the difference in gaming performance plus newegg gives -25$ for the combo with the motherboard I selected

I am going the same way but mainly also because I am looking into the 1155 ivy bridge offerings when they come out.

That's a good choice. Combine that with the GTX 570 and your rig will run anything :)

Back