Gaming Keyboard suggestions

Honeybadger

So I've been toying with the idea of getting an actual gaming keyboard vs. this general Microsoft 4000 wave keyboard i use now... was looking around at reviews and may have settled on the corsair k95 RGB with cherry mx red keys.... anyone have any thoughts on this one or other boards to look at? Thanks

The Badger

Personally I prefer to keep the keyboard cheap and use a dedicated half keyboard.

For mechanical there isn't a huge market I don't think and in the price range you are probably going to want to buy a full keyboard instead http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver

I still run the Nostromo which proving like all Razer products, they don't design half their shit or make any of it, is the old Belkin N-52. Its rubber dome but I prefer having the scroll wheel on it for space flight. None of the newer models have one.

I use a Logitech K350 and I hate it, pain in my ass... I wanna get one of those really badass custom keyboards.
alchemist1_800.jpg

alchemist3_800.jpg

alchemist4_800.jpg

But they cost way, way, way too much

I liked mine until it recently started having keys stick and getting double keystrokes didn't bother me when gaming but typing was a bitch. I have a thread http://www.tbgclan.com/threads/corsair-k70-issues.38223/ I left a post of 2 in there unedited with what keyboard is doing. I currently have it unplugged and back to ol trusty as ive got too much going on lately to even try and call corsair to see what I can do to get it fixed or replaced

They cost more but I'm not buying a new one every year like when I was using logitech's. I have two mechanical keyboards; one's 6 years old and has cherry brown keys, and is a joy to use for typing and pretty good gaming too. I also have a Corsair K70 with cherrry red keys and love this for gaming. The keys don't wear out, I can and have spilled drinks on them, and they just keep working. Plus, if you're ever in dire need a mechanical keyboard can be used for self defense as they average 3.5 lbs :)

Badger, the K95 is a good keyboard and I think you'd enjoy it for gaming and typing. One warning though, once you get a mechanical keyboard you won't ever go back to anything else.

Thanks for the advice sixer and everyone else.. much appreciated.

Using a razer blackwidow pro. Hasn't failed me yet. I've spilled beer all over it and it hasn't died. I am not exactly easy going on Keyboards or mice either.

Mechanical keyboards are the way to go as I went with the Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Blue's. I like the tactile noise it makes and the feel of the bump. Yes, the browns have the bump as well but to me it was not as pronounced. As for the noise, you get used to it after a while. Wife used to work from home using it and now that she's back in the office I'm having to buy her a mechanical keyboard for work.

Also, if you have a Best Buy in your area stop in and they should have keyboards out for testing that have brown, red, blue, and Razer's "Green" switches.

Made a mistake last year and decided I needed a gaming keyboard and stepped away from old reliable. While I can tell you there are many positives I've read about mechanical, my mistake was not going ahead and purchasing one. Instead I picked up a G510s and wouldn't recommend to anyone.

I use a Razer Deathstalker and I am very happy with it. I have beat this thing to hell and back. My old computer also runs an old razer keyboard, i forget which one...but its blue.

First- I am biased.
I hate the sound of mechanical keyboards..its like nails on a chalkboard for me. Like the endless crunching of somebody slowly trying to open the cellophane- wrapper- of -a -box- of- candy-slowly in- a- movie theater annoying.

Next:
These keyboards advertise 'faster responses' and 4.7 millisecond (arbitrary number) input times etc....audible and physical 'feedback' so you KNOW or the game knows 'faster', your input....and this is 'beneficial' to gamers, who are 'serious'

Tell me, do you REALLY have a situation in an FPS game where you say to yourself, 'Dang...I SWORE I pressed Left control for crouch in time to not get shot at....my keyboard is SOOOOOOO laggy, IT, and IT alone, CAUSED my death'?

NEXT: lets see how fast you are with a mouse- take this test 5 times.
http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

Let me guess, your score was around 200ms like 90% of everybody else that took the test.
Your BRAIN LAG is 200ms
Your PING to server is 70ms (lets say)
Your 'regular supposedly crappy keyboards' lag is 39ms (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/57424)
Your monitors lag time is 3ms
For a total of 312 response time.

Go ahead and spend $112.99, and get that response time down to 278ms. Don't be mad when you or a roommate gets crumbs in it and or spills on it.

Sure, the above posters LOVE their keyboards..everybody is different, but don't artificially inflate your budget, because of corporate hype.
All that matters to me is:
1.WASD keys don't rub off
2. built in disabling of 'Windows Key'
3. Pretty lights

I have the http://steelseries.com/gaming-keyboards/apex , and ONLY because I won an auction on Ebay for 50$ with shipping (new =99$) [NOT mechanical]
Before that, I used a $39.99 3-color KB which never failed, and letters Never wore off, after 3000 hours of BF2,3 and 4. (and is now my back-up for my SteelSeries)

Improve your gameplay by not reloading after every kill, ignoring mini-map, ignoring coms, running around corners, not managing recoil manually, ignoring audible que's etc,.
And if pretty light's don't matter, just get a $10 KB.

After all, Honeybadger don't give a fuck!

Last edited:
First- I am biased.
I hate the sound of mechanical keyboards..its like nails on a chalkboard for me. Like the endless crunching of somebody slowly trying to open the cellophane- wrapper- of -a -box- of- candy-slowly in- a- movie theater annoying.

Next:
These keyboards advertise 'faster responses' and 4.7 millisecond (arbitrary number) input times etc....audible and physical 'feedback' so you KNOW or the game knows 'faster', your input....and this is 'beneficial' to gamers, who are 'serious'

Tell me, do you REALLY have a situation in an FPS game where you say to yourself, 'Dang...I SWORE I pressed Left control for crouch in time to not get shot at....my keyboard is SOOOOOOO laggy, IT, and IT alone, CAUSED my death'?

NEXT: lets see how fast you are with a mouse- take this test 5 times.
http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

Let me guess, your score was around 200ms like 90% of everybody else that took the test.
Your BRAIN LAG is 200ms
Your PING to server is 70ms (lets say)
Your 'regular supposedly crappy keyboards' lag is 39ms (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/57424)
Your monitors lag time is 3ms
For a total of 312 response time.

Go ahead and spend $112.99, and get that response time down to 278ms. Don't be mad when you or a roommate gets crumbs in it and or spills on it.

Sure, the above posters LOVE their keyboards..everybody is different, but don't artificially inflate your budget, because of corporate hype.
All that matters to me is:
1.WASD keys don't rub off
2. built in disabling of 'Windows Key'
3. Pretty lights

I have the http://steelseries.com/gaming-keyboards/apex , and ONLY because I won an auction on Ebay for 50$ with shipping (new =99$) [NOT mechanical]
Before that, I used a $39.99 3-color KB which never failed, and letters Never wore off, after 3000 hours of BF2,3 and 4. (and is now my back-up for my SteelSeries)

Improve your gameplay by not reloading after every kill, ignoring mini-map, ignoring coms, running around corners, not managing recoil manually, ignoring audible que's etc,.
And if pretty light's don't matter, just get a $10 KB.

After all, Honeybadger don't give a fuck!
I know where you're coming from Chrome as we've gone in-depth on this subject. It all comes down to user preference. You prefer the minimal touch of your rubber domes where your keys are almost non-existent while I prefer and actual punch of a keyboard like a typewriter.

BTW: The honey badger does care.
honey_badger_sometimes_i_care_wall_art.jpg

I know where you're coming from Chrome as we've gone in-depth on this subject. It all comes down to user preference. You prefer the minimal touch of your rubber domes where your keys are almost non-existent while I prefer and actual punch of a keyboard like a typewriter.

BTW: The honey badger does care.
honey_badger_sometimes_i_care_wall_art.jpg

Wrong:
I prefer $39-$50 price range..that's it.

Who knows, I might actually like the 'feel' of a Mech-KB better, but I'd rather spend the 80$ I saved, on a better vid card (which I did)

LOL... definitely that time of the month eh?
thanks to all who have given their two cents.

Back