Commodore USA remaking Commodore 64

Soulzz

Founder
Retired Founder
Source: GameSpy: Commodore USA Remaking the C64 - Page 1

For many gamers, nostalgia is spelled C, O, M, M, O, D, O, R, E. The company that made floppy disk gaming cool hopes to capitalize on its place in pop culture with the new Commodore All In One (AIO) line, which includes the PC64 -- a computer that looks like the old C64, but runs like a new rig.

The original 8-bit Commodore 64, the successor to the VIC-20, launched in 1982 and went on to become the best-selling PC of all time. Commodore USA is hoping to rekindle the magic with the AIO line of keyboard computers and the PC64.

"The legacy of the Commodore C64, which sold over 30 million units, making it the best selling computer of all time, and our reintroduction of this legendary form factor, combined with the world's most recognizable consumer electronics brand, is a once in a lifetime opportunity," Barray Altman, Commodore USA's president and CEO said in a statement. "We look forward to bringing these new products to market, and welcoming a whole new generation of computer users to the Commodore experience."

Available this holiday season, the PC64 features an exact replica of the original beige C64 chassis. Under that old-school hood, the PC64 is powered by an Intel Atom 525 CPU with NVIDIA Ion2 graphics, 4GB DDR3 memory, 1TB Hdd, HDMI, DVD/CD optical drive (Blu-ray optional), dual-link DVI, six USB ports, integrated 802.11n WiFi, bluetooth and a six-in-one media card reader.

No specifics on the release date or pricing information were announced.

Holy shit!!!! Just had to say it. I'll definately be one of the people buying the new 64 model. and I'll sit it by my original model : )

I used to rock some text based games on the Commodore as well as the Texas Instruments and the Tandy.

yeah I remember this with a tape drive damn that was the slowest thing ever.............right up there with the T.I. and the PET.
I am not sure how they will do with the new one but I think they are in for a huge loss.

I met with the guys from Commodore at CES in 2008. They were supposed to be trying to build high-end PC's for the US. Two years later and this is all they bring? I think it's kewl, but I would have liked to have seen the computers they had with them at the show.

my alter ego name Lorddarius actually comes from an old text based commadore game, you had to raid a castle and get to the dungeon to rescue your father from a guy named tada.... Lorddarius. But of coarse cuz I smoke da weed, I added 420 to it.

I remember that game Darius. My favorites on the C64 were Gunship, F-15 Strike Eagle, Winter Games, and Bard's Tale. Wish those would work with it. Nothing like bombing a triangle in a flat expanse of green with a flat expanse of blue for sky. We have come a long way.

Heh, we had a soviet reverse-engineered rip of that (or is it the Apple II) and it was called the "Правец 8." (Pravetz 8 - Pravetz was the town it was made in and 8 is for 8-bit)

Then, there was a reverse-engineered rip of the IBM PC 8086 called, appropriately "Правец 16."

Pictures of the two are on top here - first and second, with screenshots of games for Pravetz 8. Man, Karateka ruled (second screenshot).

Conservative ::

Back