COD4 Optimization and Tweaks

AmishBob

Assistant to the Regional Leadership Manager
Admin
COD4 Tweaks and Optimizations
To get the best performance out of COD4, you really need to change the settings in your config_mp file. This is 100% legit and cannot and will not get you PB banned or flagged as long as you change the correct values. All you are doing is changing the settings to make them best for your computer.
I have a high end Desktop that I built, but the default settings in COD4 still leave me at a disadvantage and not as optimized as I could be.

===========================================================
First, you need to go into your game, and turn everything to low or off.
Anti Aliasing = Off
Sync Every Frame = Off
Dual Video Cards = No (unless you SLI)
Specular Map = No
Depth of Field = No
Glow = No
Dynamic Lights = No
Smoked Edges = No
Ragdoll = No (yes if you want to see funny bodies)
Bullet Impact = No
Model Detail = low
Water Detail = Low

Second, you need to find your multiplay config file. If you bought cod4 through steam then you can find the config file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Call of Duty 4\players\profiles\profile name
If you installed from disc:
Window XP
C:\Program Files\Activision\players\profiles\(your profile name) or %programfiles%\Activision\players\profiles

Windows Vista/Win7 x86:
With UAC Disabled:
C:\Program Files\Activision\players\profiles\(your profile name)
With UAC Enabled:
C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\profiles
With UAC Disabled:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\players\profiles\(your profile name)
With UAC Enabled:
C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\profiles

NEXT: Make a copy of the config_mp file. Save this somewhere as a copy. Don't lose it.
Next, write click and open the file in WORDPAD. Don't use notepad.
You will want to change the values below to the listed number on the right.
cg_drawfps 1
diplays fps in top right corner. Change to 1
cg_drawlagometer 1
draw your Lagometer on screen, change to 1 if you want to see it.
cg_fov 80
How much you can see on your monitor at one time. 65 is default, change it to 80.
com_maxfps 125
The game plays best at 125 FPS. By default is 85, but you will see better,smoother gameplay and increased hit detection by change this.
maxpackets 100
This controls packet flow. Increase this to 100 if you have your fps at 125.
snaps 30
Improves hit detection. default is 20, change to 30.
r_drawsun 0
Disables Sun. Saves FPS.

cg_brass 0
Shell ejection off. Saves FPS.

cl_packetdup 1
controls duplicate packets. If you get 30 ping, turn this to 0. Otherwise use 1. If you have packet loss issues, then change it to 2 or up to 5.
sm_enable 0
Certain shadows get turned off. Big FPS boost.

Rate 25000
Makes your connection to the server faster.

r_dof_enable 0
With it set on 1, your gun looks blurry when you look down the sights, on 0 it looks sharper.

Another one that doesn't effect your system but might be nice is seta cg_chatTime "16000"
This will take the time that a chat is on the screen and extend it. Nice for reading stuff people type.

Hints for multiplayer:

1. Starting out, you can't go wrong with the MP5. It is highly over powered and easy to shoot. Great gun for learning.

2. AK47 is a fantastic all purpose gun. I typically get my best ratios with it.
- Don't use a red dot site. It actually decreases accuracy.
3. Learn to play without steady aim. If you can switch out steady aim for deep impact then you can secure many more kills.
- Using extreme conditioning can also get you an extra boost, especially in close quarters.

Feel free to add your input, I will post more as I think of it.

Thanks for this! I'll put it to use tomorrow night to test its effectiveness ;-)

Our cod 4 server is not your typical normal server. It is slightly tweaked so that weapons do more damage hence why mp5 and p90 are better. A lot more fun to use.
:)

Sent from my LG-P880g using Tapatalk 2

Our cod 4 server is not your typical normal server. It is slightly tweaked so that weapons do more damage hence why mp5 and p90 are better. A lot more fun to use.

Well now I know why I suck so bad... ;-) I always seem to get killed in 2 shots! lol

Welcome to COD. At least it's 2 shots compared to CS where it's 1 shot.

shit fast thinks for letting me know, homo

My cfg for ingame settings/tweaks is the same one that I used in competitive play and while it may not "look the coolest" I can assure you your game will run smoother and your registry will likely improve. If anyone would like to try it out/use it feel free to send me a forum PM and I'll gladly email it to you.

Been using your settings for a while Amish, thanks for the post. I've been messing with it and found that turning Specular Map to on instead of off actually increases visibility of enemy players in most instances - and my FPS has not taken a noticeable hit (stays at 125 most of the time)

Nice! good to know. I'll try that out.

Back