Black Ops to have demo recording and more

Matt-aka-FAST

TBG Founder
Leadership
From bashandslash.com:

With a rather terse reply to a forum comment on the official CoD:BO site, head developer for the PC platform, Cesar aka "pcdev" Stastny, may have laid to rest some of the more deep seated fears the keyboard&mouse guys might have had for Treyarch's upcoming release.
In response to the question of whether we will get "demo recording", that is, the ability to record game-state, pc-dev said:

demo recording: confirmed

-pcdev-

Source
This has great ramifications for PC competitive gamers who typically use demo-recording (the "/record" feature in previous CoD's) to prove the fact that they played on the 'up-and-up' during sanctioned online and LAN games. The lack of "/record" was another nail in MW2's competitive-play coffin and in BFBC2, the lack of a similar feature, has seriously hamstrung that game into ever becoming a serious competitive shooter.

Undoubtedly, pcdev's short comment will set off a flurry of speculation in regards the presence of the console in the game. The console, for those who may not know, was a mode that could be invoked within previous PC-version CoD games (with the exception of MW2) by hitting the tilde key. Once in console, direct commands could be entered to modify or set client parameters, not limited to those that could be changed through the menu system. This was a powerful tool, in that unique client-side configurations could be made or changed in game. And if the scripts were bound to keys, the changes could be nearly instantaneous, thus making the knowledge of these console commands quite important.

Presence of a console could mean that CoD:BO would not be that far different from the CoD:WW user-interface. This would be a welcome relief for most hardcore PC gamers who are giving CoD one last chance after the debacle that was MW2.

First dedicated servers, now the hint that the console might exist. Good news.

However, I would like to caution that unless we get absolute confirmation of a console, any conclusion-jumping is somewhat premature. Note that I have not been able to get that confirmation from Treyarch, so for all I know, the record function could even be hardwired without the need of a console. We just do not know at the moment.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks to Beaknuke, here are additional pcdev'isms:
cod:black ops will allow US and EU to play MP together.
-pcdev-

Scroll wheel - yes.
Prone - yes.
-pcdev-

Shiny new server browser: confirmed.
-pcdev-

The good news is that the pc version of cod:black ops will allow you to play either way so bring on the kb+mouse vs controller matches!
-pcdev-

cod:black ops will run on XP, Vista, and Win7.
-pcdev-

We decided to have dedicated servers for this title from the very beginning of the project. We have not wavered from this for a moment. CoD Black Ops PC has dedicated servers. Definitely.
-pcdev-
From this comment as well as the others mentioned it looks like Treyarch is sticking to the features given in World at War. The record feature along with a few others were bugged or not added on release for that title, causing a huge decline in competitive gaming with it. Lets hope Black Ops has it working on release.

Source

Hell... whatever.

It should be OK I guess. I don't miss demos AS much in BC2.

BC2 isn't that great of a game to begin with, IMO. Of course you don't miss them :p.

demos are excellent in catching tards. First person demos are accepted by Pbbans. No 3rd person crap.

Back