Bioware - PC is Made for Gaming

Soulzz

Founder
Retired Founder
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=253256

Bioware has told CVG that the PC is "made for gaming" - and that there is "no question" over whether it will continue to lead development of its games on the format.

The studio is now hard at work on hugely ambitious MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic - which will be exclusively released on PC.

Bioware designer and writing director Daniel Erickson said that the PC's interface was "less restrictive" than console equivalents.

"Every two or three years we hear the announcement of fantasy being dead, PC gaming being dead and RPGs being dead," he said. "And yet, all of the biggest games that ever come out - that set the records - are nearly always PC games, and a lot of them are fantasy games.

"The biggest game in the world is a fantasy, PC, RPG MMO. We all know the drawbacks of PC. We all scream at our boxes and try to make stuff work. But at the same time, the interface is made for games. The mouse/keyboard interface allows so much less restriction [than console].

He added: "There was not a question when we started Old Republic - or any of our games, for that matter - [what the lead format would be]. There's a reason the lead SKU for Dragon age was [PC] as well. When we're developing an RPG, it's a natural place to be."

wow a company that doesnt have money grubbing whores?

I took my 16 yr old step son to gamestop a few days ago so he could pick up a new game (Mass Effect 2) for his Xbox360. While there, I asked the cashier if they had ANY pc games at all, and he said: "Oh yea, that 1/2 a shelf right there is dedicated to pc games." as he snicker under his voice as if he thought it was funny that I was looking for pc games. So I asked him "What's so funny?" He said "That's what you get when you want to use a pc for gaming!" He continued by saying "If you aren't playing WoW, then what are you doing, playing solitaire?" I lit his ass up explaining to him that my pc is at least 5 times more powerful than any gaming console, that all the best games ever developed were for PC first, and that he was completely un-informed and didn't deserve his job!! My step son has never seen me go off before and was standing there with his mouth wide open.. lol. I told my son to drop that game because we were going somewhere to spend our money...

It made my day.

I'm not a huge fan of Bioware games, but they seem to be a pretty cool developer.

I think that Bioware is one of the only dev's out there that I really want to work for when I grad

I'm not a huge fan of Bioware games, but they seem to be a pretty cool developer.

I wasn't either, but then I played Mass Effect... :-D

Also, it's an oldie but a goodie - MDK was one of my favorite games back in the day (mostly for the fucking cool gameplay and artstyle), and MDK2 wasn't bad either.

first of all get in there swagdog. im forever telling ppl pc is the ultimate gaming platform. i think the last console i had was a ps 1, back in the day now i guess. you can even run emmulators and play most console games.
you can create your own level, mods and alter games to your own taste. Ok so its not as easy as disk in and go but well worth the hassel if you ask me, and console games always seem more linear but maby thats just me.
its sad to hear ppl say the pc is dying for gaming and shocking that money grabbing companies/stores offer such a poor choice in games. i remember when stores used to be rammed with pc games!
LONG LIVE THE PC

I used to worship the ground that BioWare walked upon until Dragon Age. That game was such a disappointment, at least to me. Yeah, I played it through once, but it felt so... hollow. There was so much missing, so many plot elements that weren't there and should have been. I expected Baldur's Gate 2 in 3d. I was sorely mistaken. It's too damn bad Atari owns the rights to Dungeons and Dragons for games; I would REALLY like to see a new Baldur's Gate or any new AD&D game.

Back