BF5 RSP

Basically a neutral response. Go figure.

Puro pedo!!!! (Bullshit) once he said "There’s also financial implications here that go well beyond my remit” he is preparing us for the eventual decision that they will discontinue RSP. TO much work for the Development teams and not enough profitability coming in to sway the Board or Brain trust to divert human resources to this endeavor. Thats basically what he is saying. IMO. I may be wrong. IT happens im only human. :(

What they're really saying is that 3rd party server rentals will never happen again. When they talk about development tools they're talking about doing it themselves and you rent space on DICE servers. The tools are out there already if they allowed 3rd party, but they won't. That's a dead dog in BF.

Basically a neutral response. Go figure.

It's a neutral response because you are talking to a party that has absolutely no say in it. DICE has no decision making power in matters of hosting.

Hopefully they come to their senses....

Nope. It's costing EA more to host their servers for free in AWS. Versus charging slot tax. It would make sense to rent out servers directly to communities taking the place of actual RSP's since no need to get an RSP involved in AWS. But because it makes sense it will absolutely not fucking happen.

Would they ever admit that the decline in players is a direct result of an inadequate RSP program for BF1 and basically telling platoons / clans / whatever to go screw themselves?

It's a neutral response because you are talking to a party that has absolutely no say in it. DICE has no decision making power in matters of hosting.

Nope. It's costing EA more to host their servers for free in AWS. Versus charging slot tax. It would make sense to rent out servers directly to communities taking the place of actual RSP's since no need to get an RSP involved in AWS. But because it makes sense it will absolutely not fucking happen.

All these servers in bf3 and bf4 paying EA tax fee per slot on a dedicated box. They get something back. A lot back. In fact still getting money from us for hosting our servers and the thousands that still exists since 2011 - BF3, compared to how many in bf1 currently...It promotes longevity and if they at least keep that model they make good money over time.

Also a GSP is required to pay EA some money back for it too to be able to host.

All these servers in bf3 and bf4 paying EA tax fee per slot on a dedicated box. They get something back. A lot back. In fact still getting money from us for hosting our servers and the thousands that still exists since 2011 - BF3, compared to how many in bf1 currently...It promotes longevity and if they at least keep that model they make good money over time.

Also a GSP is required to pay EA some money back for it too to be able to host.

You missed everything I said. It makes sense, so they will NOT do it. They are losing money on server hosting and that's a plan they did a study on and selected.

My current client. If I lay out 12 options that all make sense they will come back with an idea that makes 0 sense and that is the way I have to do it. If it costs them more money and almost guarantee's some sort of terrible failure. That's what they want. When was the last time you saw EA operate any other way. Why would that change?

Right now I am waiting for an economic feasibility study to come back. The clients options are build a warehouse on property they own, use a small percentage of it for themselves and rent the rest out for a massive, nearly eternal line of profit. OR they take out a 2 million dollar loan to be paid back over 10 years to rent a small section of someone elses warehouse at a fucked up rate. Guess what my money is on. Fucking MBA's mind as well be toilet paper.

I suspect the real challenge has been that while Dice may be fine with it, they have not been allocated the budget and time to make it happen.
With BF1 this was apparent because RSP came months after launch. They had already started it, but didn't finish it. But the game had to come out on deadline. With BFV, while I think it is a great game, they didn't have enough time and EA certainly hijacked them with nVidia PR stunts raytracing demo last minute and having to jump on the Battle Royale bandwagon - even if that wasn't finished on time. And they still pushed the game back a month.

I think the gameplay and maps on BFV are brilliant. I'm a HUGE fan of the no Season Pass plan. But they needed an extra year to get it right - and they didn't get that choice. You can tell from their balanced/patches and backtracking that they don't have their Core beliefs defined for what this game will be and won't be. They don't have a clearly defined way that the game will adust and progress. Hell, BF1 had a Free DLC map the Dec after it came out. I haven't heard a word about new maps yet on BF5. DAMN HELL. They didn't even launch with the option to buy in game cosmetics (which I have no problem with at all) with real money. Think about that. EA is a microtransaction addict and the system isn't even in place yet 3 months later. Meanwhile ActiBlizzard is making money selling $2.00 gun sights. I own blops4 also, but can't stand it compared to BF5. But you know what, the game feels complete and polished.

All that to say:
Since it didn't launch with the game any RSP or third party hosting will be a failure when (if it does) it does launch.

Back