Armed protesters occupying national wildlife refuge building. Thoughts?

Deputy Swan

What are your thoughts on this?

From what I read this is from the Feds, that they started the fires to provide cover for Poaching, Ranchers say it was to burn invasive weeds that where out of control. The Bureau of Land Management is ran by bunch of EPA Tree hugers and I do believe the ranchers on this, I have family that runs cattle on Federal Lands in ND and it is about impossible to spray weeds on federal lands with all there regulations and rules and I can see starting a fire to control the weeds.

Regardless on the flip side these "protesters" are armed and took over a federal building? looks to me like they will all end up with a federal charge or two, and that is if no shots are fired, the BLM prob has a army of tactical officers on stand by just waiting for the shit to hit the fan there so they can go Waco TX on their asses.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/0...fuge-building-vow-long-stay.html?intcmp=hpbt1

"The point is, until that line is drawn, that we have had enough of this tyranny and you are going to leave us alone, it will not change. This is the power of America, right here.

More power to them. So it's okay to initiate "controlled burns" in the wild, but not underbrush burns on land you ranch on? They shouldn't receive any charges, they should have a front man and he should be listened to.

they didnt take a building they are occupying a park they are holding no hostages. I live in midwest missouri farming is what we do its normal to drive down a highway and see feilds burning before the next planting season. there are bigger issues with our government that should be looked at than a lil burning brush

I have the Gadsden Flag tattooed on my right shoulder. I'm getting the join or die flag on my left soon and my buddy is making me a bill of rights back piece.

No victim, no crime. The Federal Government through the EPA and BLM have long shit on people's rights and made "hardcore felons" out of benign people for the crimes of moving junk on their property and collecting rain water. This has been a long time brewing between free peoples and an out of control bureaucracy. More power to them. Hope it turns out just like the Bundy ranch stand off. BLM was supposed to turn this land back 100 years ago, but once power is given it is nearly impossible to take away.

I am an American historian so my opinion is colored by my love for our country and its transformation through time, but I have a different take: this is an armed group occupying government land. If they were a Muslim armed group or a Neo-Nazi armed group doing the same and pushing their agenda how would we respond? The label of the group does not matter, the action does. We live in a democracy, and laws are to be changed by the vote or courts not by arms. This is not a new concept but has been in force since the early days of our government; Washington called out troops to stop people who were armed and protesting taxes. Groups like this fancy themselves as children of the American Revolution standing up to tyranny, but the reality is we live in a society where all people have a say in laws. At no time has our country been as democratic as it is today, either by the right to vote or the ability to be heard, and that separates us from the revolutionary period. Democracy is built on respecting the outcome of elections and their subsequent laws, and our government does a terrific job of protecting the minority from being bullied by the majority, but if your group is a vast minority (like this one) then respect the laws or change your situation. Not liking a law and/or losing in court does not mean armed threats/occupation are justified. These guys don't like federal land use rules and do everything they can to challenge that. Challenge in court, start a political movement, but if you fail pouting and hiding behind the right to bear arms is whiny and childish to me.

Dude no one likes federal land rules. They are draconian and largely arbitrary.

Democracy doesn't always work and when voting fails (which it does pretty much all the time lately) - the last resort is the second amendment.

Please tell me what election has failed? Failed because you don't like the outcome or failed because it was invalid due to abuse and corruption? And elections are continuous and multi layered so I would be curious as to which have failed. There are a hundred avenues to be heard, but if no one listens perhaps the problem is not them. Armed occupation is a direct threat to public safety and stability and is counter productive to winning people to a cause -- it is legally and emotionally problematic. Again, there are much better ways to get a point across, but saying you are defenders of liberty is hiding behind something noble to defend a reactionary perspective. The question was what are your thoughts on this action, and I say it is short sighted, illegal, and counter productive to a discussion that should occur, and as an historian it bugs me.

Last edited:
And these idiot proved my point. One of the Bundy sons said that they were calling for the end to federal land control and they were enforcing the Constituion. That is bullshit -- he is hiding behind something noble because he disagrees with a series of laws. Laws, rules, and regulations made by democratically elected governments over the last hundred years. These people are whiny and are using anything they can grasp at to justify their opposition because they have lost the argument so far. These are not defenders of the Constitution, they are pretenders, and that is my professional opinion as an American Intellectual historian whose specialty is the structure and evolution of American government.

Democracy has literally failed us.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/civil-rights/214857-who-rules-america

America isn't a democracy anyways, at least that's not what was intended. We are supposed to operate as a Constitutional Republic - which uses a democratic process to elect its leaders whom are bound under penalty of imprisonment or death to protect and preserve our natural rights.

Yet they instead now trample on them. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...4_civil_forfeiture_grand_juries_religion.html

So I would say every election has failed. Not because I care about the outcome, but because no matter who gets elected, our ideals are violated.

*drops mic* *sets roof on fire*

i feel that chuck the ban hammer has just laid a new hammer down. no matter what the back story is on this and what is truth burning ur brush to clear it up i think is not the issue that started this all. i also feel there are bigger threats to this country right now then to worry about a couple cowboys

they didnt take a building they are occupying a park they are holding no hostages. I live in midwest missouri farming is what we do its normal to drive down a highway and see feilds burning before the next planting season. there are bigger issues with our government that should be looked at than a lil burning brush

Field burning is normal. You either rent or own that land. If it's not your land it's trespassing or worse. You're going to jail. I don't have a clear picture on what the fuck happened here so I won't even pretend to guess.

As far as the militia men go. If I was a rancher I wouldn't be within 100 miles of them. I am all for airstrikes on nut jobs that probably are friends with the asshole who things he can shoot down a predator with his shotgun to defend his land.

The difference is protesting ranchers probably wouldn't shoot park visitors, so called "militiamen" would without even thinking about it. I don't deal with unreasonable, uncivilized people any better than they would deal with me.

Field burning is normal. You either rent or own that land. If it's not your land it's trespassing or worse. You're going to jail. I don't have a clear picture on what the fuck happened here so I won't even pretend to guess.

As far as the militia men go. If I was a rancher I wouldn't be within 100 miles of them. I am all for airstrikes on nut jobs that probably are friends with the asshole who things he can shoot down a predator with his shotgun to defend his land.

The difference is protesting ranchers probably wouldn't shoot park visitors, so called "militiamen" would without even thinking about it. I don't deal with unreasonable, uncivilized people any better than they would deal with me.

That last statement is completely absurd. When did these militia men ever state that their intentions were to kill people in the park? You can't just attribute crimes to people simply because you find them offensive. That's embarrassing really.

You absolutely have an inalienable right to peaceably assemble in public spaces in protest. MLK Jr. did sit-ins all the time, and often times the protesters would be armed. You have an inalienable right to keep and bear arms, this includes brandishing them during protests.

SMH, American's not knowing and willfully subverting their own natural rights is worse than some militia men exercising their right to assemble and bear arms.

im not sure where the hell this is going so ill bow out with this. there are bigger issues we need to discuss as a country government and what not. we have open carry in the state of missouri and concealed i take part in both its my right and i choose to use it. this is the part where i dont konw where im going with this so you know what i like about highschool chicks i get older they stay the smae age

SMH, American's not knowing and willfully subverting their own natural rights is worse than some militia men exercising their right to assemble and bear arms.

I dare you in full camping gear to trespass upon their protest with the intention of doing nothing wrong to them. I have personally been shot at before in a similar situation. I do not like their kind.

I mean I have only met 3 kinds, people raised in isolated areas, wannabe soldiers, veterans who hated this country the majority of their lives. So who knows. You let hate breed in you long enough you tend to lose yourself trying to right the wrongs.

Back