Any info on BF3

EvilCutie

Is this thing ever going to come out at all? This is all the info I could find:

# BF3 Release in late 2008
# Powered by ?Frostbite DX?
# Set in year modern day (just like BF2, ed.)
# Will ship with 8 maps, each supporting up to 40-players per team
# Two playable factions, NATO and MEC (Middle Eastern Coalition)
# Same ?ticket-based? gameplay style as before
# BF3 Maps are mostly urban, based in Middle East
# Squads and Commanders are present, introduced are ?Battalions? which consist of three to four squads.
# Five playable classes; Sniper, Assault, Engineer, Medic and Support
# Will feature 48 different BF3 vehicles (24 for each faction)
# Will feature 34 different BF3 weapons (17 for each faction) and another 22 unlocks (for both factions), in total 56 different weapons.
# Other unlocks include different types of ammunition, body armor, helmets, camouflage and accessories.
# Possible Battlefield 3 public beta in ?Summer 2008?
# Battlefield 3 Online stats tracking, awards and ?real world ranks?
# ?Soldier? feature, looks like MMO-styled characters and avatars
# Battlefield 3 Ranked servers will be available for resellers weeks before the game ships (for testing, apparently, ed.)
# In-game replay and recording feature
# VoIP, friends list, in-game IM-client and ?extensive clan support?
# Built in auto software updater (no more patches!, ed.)
# Widows Vista and OS X
# BF3 Announcement and teaser trailer in January 2008.

Anything Else?

No guarantees unfortunately :-|.

I personally think all that information was somebody's clever joke which has been perpetuated for nearly a year.

BF3 hasn't been even unofficially hinted at by EA and/or DICE AFAIK.

I'm sure it will get made someday, but I doubt it will be as outlined above. As far as I know DICE are mostly working on Heroes and Mirror's Edge, the latter by the way being a pimp-ass-looking motherfucker (which I highly anticipate).

Heroes seems like a bad joke so far in my opinion. It might well be. We'll see. They're already late on it.

Why would you say "no?"

I'm sure it will get made someday, just not in the immediate future...

I'm sure they'll make something eventually. I don't think they'll call it BF3 though.

Sounds pretty catchy to me actually... can't go wrong with a sequel to a great game imo... but who knows.

Personally I would like to see the aftermath of the 2142 war. You know like after the frost has ended. Wouldn't make much sense to go from 1942, present time, 2142, present time. 2150?

Sadly, I think futuristic themes are not very popular in games these days... a lot of people still play BF2 because they don't like the futuristic things in 2142.

I know I will surely miss the shield mechanics if they decide to go "back" in time or decide to lose the shields on vehicles... makes the game much more fun imo - a bit of a strategic element.

Back